Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Bluetooth HM5000

Search This thread

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Is that available in Europe only or something? I'm in the US and I do not have a native dialer app.

US carriers generally don't like devices that do everything all in one. That's why for tablet devices which, around the rest of the world, can make a normal phone call (without having to do anything special, or use 3rd party apps), when those "same" tablets make it here to the US of A, it's a gimped version of the device which has been stripped of its normal phone calling abilities. That's why some of us (myself included) import from overseas, while giving carriers the middle finger in the process.

So, why are carriers over here opposed to a tablet that can make regular phone calls? Simple: money.

If you have a tablet which double's as your phone, then you only have to pay for one line subscription. But if your tablet has had its phone calling abilities stripped away, then you're forced to carry a phone with you. Now, either you're now forced to pay for a line subscription to BOTH your phone AND your tablet, or you're forced to pay for the one line subscription to your phone, plus an additional fee to tether your tablet up to the phone. Not to mention, you've had to buy two devices instead of one.

Either way, you're forced into a particular buying behaviour, by being offered strategically limited choices, and the carrier profits more from it.

So, screw the carrier's profits, buy unlocked overseas, drop your 2-year slave contract, and port your number to an unlimited everything pay-as-you-go plan for about $50/month instead! (GoPhone and Straight Talk are both ideal options for unlocked GSM devices for 3G compatibility)

adinis78

Sep 29, 2010
Harrison, NJ
US carriers generally don't like devices that do everything all in one. That's why for tablet devices which, around the rest of the world, can make a normal phone call (without having to do anything special, or use 3rd party apps), when those "same" tablets make it here to the US of A, it's a gimped version of the device which has been stripped of its normal phone calling abilities. That's why some of us (myself included) import from overseas, while giving carriers the middle finger in the process.

So, why are carriers over here opposed to a tablet that can make regular phone calls? Simple: money.

If you have a tablet which double's as your phone, then you only have to pay for one line subscription. But if your tablet has had its phone calling abilities stripped away, then you're forced to carry a phone with you. Now, either you're now forced to pay for a line subscription to BOTH your phone AND your tablet, or you're forced to pay for the one line subscription to your phone, plus an additional fee to tether your tablet up to the phone. Not to mention, you've had to buy two devices instead of one.

Either way, you're forced into a particular buying behaviour, by being offered strategically limited choices, and the carrier profits more from it.

So, screw the carrier's profits, buy unlocked overseas, drop your 2-year slave contract, and port your number to an unlimited everything pay-as-you-go plan for about $50/month instead! (GoPhone and Straight Talk are both ideal options for unlocked GSM devices for 3G compatibility)

A quick correction Jade, the GoPhone $50 unlimited plan does not work on smart phones, actually the data part of this plan won't work, should know, you will still need to get a separate data plan. Right now the best option is to go with Straight Talk for those that do not want a ATT contract. :)

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
I think Go Phones are also speed limited to 1Kbps, while with 3G they could go to 4-5kpbs (at least my iPhone used to get that easily).

brehon1104

Jan 24, 2009
I'm confused, what app are you guys using to make and receive calls? GrooVe IP?

I've got Google Voice installed, as well as GrooVe IP. I'm just not sure what app is being used on the video in this thread. I want to do this, if not with the HM5000 then with something.

The thing I'm not thrilled about with this thing is holding it up to my ear. The whole point of Bluetooth -- at least for me -- is handsfree, whether via speaker (in the car) or on-ear (when working or walking about).

this is what is baffling me about this post. why would you choose this stick thing over an eared headset? namely the HM7000. its now only $60 and supposedly the best headset on the market.

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
this is what is baffling me about this post. why would you choose this stick thing over an eared headset? namely the HM7000. its now only $60 and supposedly the best headset on the market.

Personal preference really. For me, it boils down to this:
On my 7.7, 99% of the time, I am not using it to make or receive phone calls (or any smartphone for that matter lol!). So, I see it as somewhat impractical to wear an over-the-ear headset for that whole time, not to mention my ear gets kinda sore after a while anyway.

With the slim stick, it's always on (even while charging), always in my shirt pocket, or discretely tucked away under my shirt collar, and it's always ready to go without fatiguing my ear.

To put it another way, if you think about just a regular phone, it's always ready to take a call by simply holding it up to your ear. Technically, so too is the P6800, but it looks ridiculous holding a tablet up to your face to take a call, even if it's for just long enough to tell your caller "Hang on a second while I put on my Bluetooth headset..." Not the case with the slim stick. Like I mentioned, it's always on and ready to go. Of course, you can just have a headset always on and ready to go too, but either it's on your ear (which fatigues me after a while) or, due to it's shape and size, it's getting all caught on stuff in your pockets and such and just feels awkward to carry.

Last edited:

brehon1104

Jan 24, 2009
Personal preference really. For me, it boils down to this:
On my 7.7, 99% of the time, I am not using it to make or receive phone calls (or any smartphone for that matter lol!). So, I see it as somewhat impractical to wear an over-the-ear headset for that whole time, not to mention my ear gets kinda sore after a while anyway.

With the slim stick, it's always on (even while charging), always in my shirt pocket, or discretely tucked away under my shirt collar, and it's always ready to go without fatiguing my ear.

To put it another way, if you think about just a regular phone, it's always ready to take a call by simply holding it up to your ear. Technically, so too is the P6800, but it looks ridiculous holding a tablet up to your face to take a call, even if it's for just long enough to tell your caller "Hang on a second while I put on my Bluetooth headset..." Not the case with the slim stick. Like I mentioned, it's always on and ready to go. Of course, you can just have a headset always on and ready to go too, but either it's on your ear (which fatigues me after a while) or, due to it's shape and size, it's getting all caught on stuff in your pockets and such and just feels awkward to carry.

I see. i ordered the HM7000. waiting on it to get here. it has a really neat carrying case that doubles as an extra battery (charges the headset while in the case). I strongly considered the stick though.

Jun 29, 2008
I just got the HM5000 in the mail from Ebay...with a Korean user guide :(

Can anyone provide a link to an English PDF? Thanks very much in advance!

Paten

Apr 16, 2010
Tampa, FL
I went to the Samsung US website and they don't have the item listed there. I then went to the Korean site and they had the manual available for download but only in Korean. I then went to the Taiwan site and they had it there and the manual was available in English in the back of the manual behind two Chinese language versions. I then went to the German site and they had four different versions of the manual with English available as the first language in the manual. So go there and pick one of those.

XDSaint

Apr 18, 2012
Intermittent Disconnects

Has anyone experience random disconnect issues with their HM5000? I've been having intermittent bluetooth drops where the call would go back on the tab and reconnect after a second sometimes up to several seconds. Tried other bluetooth devices and it only happens on the slimstick. The odd part is, it works perfectly when paired to my Sensation 4g. Any input/help is appreciated.

Last edited:

XDSaint

Apr 18, 2012
I think I might have figure it out. I re-paired it using active paring instead of manually letting the tab scan for the hm5000 and now it doesn't lose connection anymore. The funny thing is when I was trouble-shooting last night I thought it was the case that has a magnetic flap causing interference lol. Well, hopefully this is the end of this problem, on to getting doubletwist to sync to the sd card next.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
too bad they don't make these anymore:
1164892406.gif

That's an LG HBM700, as you can see - LCD screen for caller ID, BUTTONS to dial with, and even a 2.5 port to connect a headset to. They just need to make an updated version of that w/ the newer BT 3.0.

This type of product came up in 2010 when a bunch of us were getting the original Galaxy Tabs and trying to figure out this use case of a mini-handset to take/make calls w/ a larger tablet.
Here's a link to the original XDA thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=826359

Also found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Bluet..._1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334871163&sr=1-1

Ultimately, I may just try a Sony LiveView watch to track incoming calls and just use the audio w/ my LG Tone headset.

Top Liked Posts