[DUMP][DEVS ONLY] Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition

Search This thread

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Android 4.4

Here's the system dump from the Sony Z Ultra GPE. All credits goes to @sfagundes (speak up if you or someone else are missing)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH. THIS IS FOR DEVS ONLY.

- Download (Mega)
- Download (Dev-Host)

Android 4.4.2

Many thanks to @graffixnyc for the pre-rooted 4.4.2 dump! Use at your own risk.

- Download (Dev-Host)

Last edited:

PaceyPimps

Feb 8, 2006
Bay Shore
www.hueseras.com
Here's the system dump from the Sony Z Ultra GPE. All credits goes to @sfagundes and @Bin4ry (speak up if you or someone else are missing)

- Download (Mega)
- Download (Dev-Host)

To the mods: Please move if this is posted in the wrong section, or remove it entirely if it breaks any rules.
Will it not work out of the box since it is the same hardware of the c6802?

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
Will it not work out of the box since it is the same hardware of the c6802?

It's the system folder. So you'd need to create a series of instructions on where everything goes, permissions, root, and recovery reflashed... (i.e. flashable zip)

48 hours and I bet someone will have it working. I'm not able to at the moment. I think most of you know why.. :rolleyes:

YrrchSebor

Aug 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Would it work to flash the system.img thru fastboot? (And boot.img if necessary)

On the Galaxy S4, we flashed the GE rom, but had to use a touchwiz kernel. Not sure how it would work on the Ultra..

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
Would it work to flash the system.img thru fastboot? (And boot.img if necessary)

On the Galaxy S4, we flashed the GE rom, but had to use a touchwiz kernel. Not sure how it would work on the Ultra..

Inside a system.img will usually be 3 different compressed files. (depending on the phone)
Only one of these files will contain all the folders that we are usually familiar with:

app
bin
etc
fonts
lib
media

Its best to wait and see what Sony have done with the GPe devices. Probably nothing has changed, and partition info will be the same... but there could be a couple of changes that may brick your device. It's very unlikely, however I'd recommend not flashing the system.img without know exactly whats in there.

Reactions: YrrchSebor

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
Inside a system.img will usually be 3 different compressed files. (depending on the phone)
Only one of these files will contain all the folders that we are usually familiar with:

app
bin
etc
fonts
lib
media

Its best to wait and see what Sony have done with the GPe devices. Probably nothing has changed, and partition info will be the same... but there could be a couple of changes that may brick your device. It's very unlikely, however I'd recommend not flashing the system.img without know exactly whats in there.

If no one tries anything nothing will be gained ;)

Now then. I got the GPe to boot on my Xperia. Too see what works and what not :)

edit: Well its buggy... and i think it has to do with me using krabappel's 4.4 kernel. Not sure how much i dare goof around with this :D Playing away...

Last edited:

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
If no one tries anything nothing will be gained ;)

Now then. I got the GPe to boot on my Xperia. Too see what works and what not :)

edit: Well its buggy... and i think it has to do with me using krabappel's 4.4 kernel. Not sure how much i dare goof around with this :D Playing away...

LOL...

I don't mean not to try and make a ROM based on this system image, but the files need to be extracted and then a ROM created...

EDIT: Try a normal kernel. (sony) Its not CM based.

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
LOL...

I don't mean not to try and make a ROM based on this system image, but the files need to be extracted and then a ROM created...

EDIT: Try a normal kernel. (sony) Its not CM based.

well i got inside the system.img and there is the /system and i pushed it on to my device.

Trying a stock kernel but i highly doubt that will boot it at all :D

Edit: Stock Sony never gets past bootloader. no boot animation.

Last edited:

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
24hrs someone will get it running smoothe and make a full guide for all how to flash well done devs.

Bin4ry

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
well i got inside the system.img and there is the /system and i pushed it on to my device.

flash the boot.img from GPE files, dd it on the device from recoverymode ;)

Regards

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden

Regards

Didn't work thru fastboot.

writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: image is not a boot image)
finished. total time: 0.937s

Did it thru DD and it worked. Hello Google logo :D Will play a bit more.

Last edited:

Bin4ry

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 14, 2008
Berlin
dd if=/path/to/inputfil/boot.img of=/dev/block/blablablabla

fill in the placeholders yourself. Although i did not test yet if the dumped bootimage does work good. I just have no time since i have to finish my thesis now. But if you could do the dirty work would be cool ;)

If something goes wrong just restore the boot with Flashtool in flashmode.

Regards

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
dd if=/path/to/inputfil/boot.img of=/dev/block/blablablabla

fill in the placeholders yourself. Although i did not test yet if the dumped bootimage does work good. I just have no time since i have to finish my thesis now. But if you could do the dirty work would be cool ;)

If something goes wrong just restore the boot with Flashtool in flashmode.

Regards

Incredibly frustrating this is.

I get the bootloader to start. I get the system to boot but it crashes. but its because i cant enter a reovery to delete user data. its always there.

How the hell can i delete data partition from fastboot or flashmode? as the stock gpe bootloader doesnt have a recovery.

EDIT: Ok i figured it out. Had to play with different kernels and thank god twrp has a terminal :D it doesnt boot im afraid.

I tried with

GPE kernel + gpe System = Bootloader load . Starts boot animation for 1 sec then crash.

revolution kernel + gpe system = bootloader load. Starts Boot animation 1 sec then crash.

Omnirom + gpe system + revolution kernel (dirty flash no wipes) = Bootloader loads. starts bootanimation. Boots. No mobile connection or wifi or anything. and buggy as hell :)

Now i need to play with the kids so l8ers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bin4ry

pedal2themedal

Feb 27, 2009
KS
Incredibly frustrating this is.

I get the bootloader to start. I get the system to boot but it crashes. but its because i cant enter a reovery to delete user data. its always there.

How the hell can i delete data partition from fastboot or flashmode? as the stock gpe bootloader doesnt have a recovery.

Might just be a shot in the dark, but maybe you could install cwm or twrp by itself? Maybe from a different gpe device? If it is separated I.E. Not like sony's version it stands to reason you may be able to flash a recovery.

Or maybe flash a boot.img that has a recovery and boot it straight to recovery, factory reset, wipe caches, power off, and flash the correct boot.img after that?

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
Might just be a shot in the dark, but maybe you could install cwm or twrp by itself? Maybe from a different gpe device? If it is separated I.E. Not like sony's version it stands to reason you may be able to flash a recovery.

Or maybe flash a boot.img that has a recovery and boot it straight to recovery, factory reset, wipe caches, power off, and flash the correct boot.img after that?

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

well ive done that. the problem is that the gpe boot.img doesnt flash normal but must be pushed with a dd command.

Anyways. Just got a tip that it might need the userdata.img. so thats my next step. *sigh* thats the last thing i do now. Getting tired of this ;D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android 4.4

Here's the system dump from the Sony Z Ultra GPE. All credits goes to @sfagundes (speak up if you or someone else are missing)

- Download (Mega)
    - Download (Dev-Host)

Android 4.4.2

Many thanks to @graffixnyc for the pre-rooted 4.4.2 dump! Use at your own risk.

- Download (Dev-Host)
    thought of giving something to the ZU GPe community...

so here is the Advanced Stock Kernel with dual recoveries!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2579005

[ note on ZU GPE bootloader ]

so i have done some testing on a users @BLOWNCO device and here is what i found:
    • there are signature verification issues if u try and flash a modified OTA zip
    • even after unlocking bootloader we cant flash custom recovery to internal recovery (FOTAKernel partition)
    • i have tried:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • and
      Code:
      fastboot flash FOTAKernel recovery.img
    • it flashes correctly but device still goes to standard recovery
    • then i tried with rooted device and directly DDed onto the FOTAKernel partition, the device never entered that recovery
    • so i am guessing tht Sony has blocked access to the FOTAKernel partition for flashing custom recoveries

only option remaining... use the old recovery in boot kernel system...

regards,

DooMLoRD
    Here is a dump from 4.4.2

system is rooted,
    left out TA, userdata and cache

No warranty and I'm not responsible if you screw your device up.. Use at own risk

http://d-h.st/M4f

Regards
    Getting a ZU. Will look into it