[RECOVERY] [TWRP 2.7.0.1] [altev | VK810] [4-21-2014]

Search This thread

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
This says succesful.
Any word on a custom rom running on these altev models yet?

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Premium HD app

well, I'm the only one trying right now.

if you don't mind flashing the ROM i compiled and PMing me the kernel log to see what's wrong with WiFi/BT/LTE connection

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52612369&postcount=14

I might have access to a friend's vk810 next week, so you could wait as well

that got much further and even booted into CyanogenMod 11 with the VZW Gpad V810!!

After unzipping your file, overwriting the update-binary file in meta-inf\com\google\android with the file from the thread you posted, it said successful. Rebooted once while it said Android is updating app xxx of xxx, then Welcome to CyanogenMod

Seems to be missing drivers though. First boot seemed stable except it didn't recognize Verizon mobile data (or SIM card). I was in there at least 10 minutes. In settings, I used the slider to try and turn on wifi, but it never turned blue and a few seconds later it reverted back off. I slid bluetooth on, and it did the same thing and went into a boot loop. It gets to the android desktop for about 5 seconds then reboots. I wiped cache and dalvik cache and it got no further.

NICG

Aug 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Has the Verizon tablet had a 4.4.2 ota yet?

Hey do you happen to have the stock recovery img? I mean I have the stock aboot but not relay sure how the loki patch recovery works. Would like to have in case I would go back to get ota update(if there ever is any). I am also guessing it would need to be loki patched to push because of the locked bootloader. If you could posibly shed some light on how we would go about to go back to stock recovery that would be awesome. Thank You.

Drgravy

Mar 22, 2012
Hey do you happen to have the stock recovery img? I mean I have the stock aboot but not relay sure how the loki patch recovery works. Would like to have in case I would go back to get ota update(if there ever is any). I am also guessing it would need to be loki patched to push because of the locked bootloader. If you could posibly shed some light on how we would go about to go back to stock recovery that would be awesome. Thank You.

sure get it here: http://goo.gl/cmrBwV

shouldn't need to loki patch it
just copy it to your internal storage and flash with dd

open your terminal on your pc enter the following commands

Code:
adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

exit

exit

just make sure the commands are exactly right

rant

Nov 7, 2004

Code:
adb shell

su

exit

exit

My home Internet has crapped out and I need to get data working on the VK810, so unfortunately need to revert to stock for a bit since data isn't working on this port of CM11 yet. However, tried the above and get the following:

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery: cannot open for write: Permission denied

Edit: interestingly, I was able to run this from the device itself with a Terminal Emulator, but it doesn't seem to restore the stock image, even after a reboot. Is that not the intent of these commands?

Last edited:

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
My home Internet has crapped out and I need to get data working on the VK810, so unfortunately need to revert to stock for a bit since data isn't working on this port of CM11 yet. However, tried the above and get the following:

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery: cannot open for write: Permission denied

Edit: interestingly, I was able to run this from the device itself with a Terminal Emulator, but it doesn't seem to restore the stock image, even after a reboot. Is that not the intent of these commands?
Nope. Those commands are for restoring stock recovery instead of having the custom TWRP recovery. Stock recovery is required when applying an ota update ( which probably will never show up from Verizon)

To restore the stock ROM: remember how you are supposed to backup inside twrp before flashing cm11? Go back to twrp (you might need to reflash twrp since thode commands restored stick recovery ) and restore from that backup. Stock ROM will be restored and usable

(but recovery is still TWRP. If you want full stock ROM and stock recovery , then restore from the backup AND follow the DD instructions you quoted )

rant

Nov 7, 2004
Nope. Those commands are for restoring stock recovery instead of having the custom TWRP recovery. Stock recovery is required when applying an ota update ( which probably will never show up from Verizon)

To restore the stock ROM: remember how you are supposed to backup inside twrp before flashing cm11? Go back to twrp and restore from that backup. Stock ROM will be restored and usable

(but recovery is still TWRP. If you want full stock ROM and stock recovery , then restore from the backup AND follow the DD instructions you quoted )

Thanks. I did eventually figure out that this isn't the stock ROM, just recovery. And stupid me, no backup before flashing CM11. Oops, guess I'll make do until we see a ROM with LTE support or a stock ROM, nothing on LG's site but the open source files.

rkmFL

Dec 10, 2010
I'm having an identical issue to an earlier user. That user had not originally assumed root (run "su"). In my case I've tried everything but can't get su to take, based on the instructions here.

Here are my details:
-------------------
* G Pad 8.3 Model# VK810 (Verizon VZW)

* Running 4.2.2(JDQ39B) - I have not accepted any OTA updates

* USB Debugging Enabled, USB > Internet > Ethernet Connection Enabled

* Successfully connects and shows devices with the ADB DEVICES command
-------------------

I have no problem with any of the adb commands, I am able to push both files, change permissions, etc.

The only thing I cannot do is invoke SU, I get:

/system/bin/sh: su: not found

Because I don't have superuser privileges, I then get this error when attempting to run the loki_flash:

./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/twrp.lok
[+] loki_flash v2.1
[-] Failed to open aboot for reading.

All adb commands are working great, I can move around directories, etc. I just can't run su.

Thank you in advance for any insight!
rkmFL

Drgravy

Mar 22, 2012
I'm having an identical issue to an earlier user. That user had not originally assumed root (run "su"). In my case I've tried everything but can't get su to take, based on the instructions here.
rkmFL

are you sure you are rooted?
you could check with root checker
also after the su command you will have to accept the su dialog on the device

** also you can run the same commands from your device through terminal emulator minus the "adb shell" of course

rkmFL

Dec 10, 2010
are you sure you are rooted?

Thank you for the reply. Sometimes I wonder how I wake up in the morning, what a dumb move on my part..

You're right. I was assuming the loki flash stuff was to obtain root.

I have not found any rooting options for the VK810 and believed this was the hack to overcome that, flash a recovery, then flash a root from the recovery.

The only two rooting options I've found (ioRoot & EasyRoot), either appears to work with the VK810, and I don't see anything else on XDA or Google.

How did everyone else on the VZW VK810 get root?

Thank you in advance!

Chance77

Dec 30, 2012
Monroe
Thank you for the reply. Sometimes I wonder how I wake up in the morning, what a dumb move on my part..

I have not found any rooting options for the VK810 and believed this was the hack to overcome that, flash a recovery, then flash a root from the recovery.

The only two rooting options I've found (ioRoot & EasyRoot), either appears to work with the VK810, and I don't see anything else on XDA or Google.

Thank you in advance!

Kingo root works.

Sent from my VK810 4G using XDA Premium HD app

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ

Thank you in advance!
btw, "0) Xperia Root by cubeundcube" works for me, offline root

vk810 4.2.2 stock rom

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460&highlight=4+2+2

Thanks. I did eventually figure out that this isn't the stock ROM, just recovery. And stupid me, no backup before flashing CM11. Oops, guess I'll make do until we see a ROM with LTE support or a stock ROM, nothing on LG's site but the open source files.

I'll post a twrp backup of my stock /system

Reactions: rkmFL

rkmFL

Dec 10, 2010
@paperWastage, thank you so much, Option #0 (Xperia Root by cubeundcube) worked perfectly!

You mentioned you'll post a backup of your stock LTE ROM to the other poster. Just curious, which version is that?

Also, @Chance77, thanks for the note that Kingo works. I've had so many problems getting Kingo to work in the past (the app won't actually do anything if they don't get a response from their servers in China doing a phone-home immediately upon running). I must have wasted three days trying to root my VZW Note 3 with Kingo, only to eventually learn their servers were down and when the app didn't get a reply from their servers, it would just sit there claiming it couldn't connect to the phone (despite ADB working fine, etc).

On a separate note, I have a Google 10, a Google 7 (v2), and a Note 3, and this G-Pad tablet is my preferred device, by far. I love this thing; would love it just a bit more if it had ROM's being ported, but hey, I knew that going in. Couldn't be happier with it, and I'm shocked at how good LG's stock keyboard works; I've continued using it despite being a licensed Swype user.

Thanks again for the assist :)

Reactions: cobra7361

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
@paperWastage, thank you so much, Option #0 (Xperia Root by cubeundcube) worked perfectly!

You mentioned you'll post a backup of your stock LTE ROM to the other poster. Just curious, which version is that?

thought there only was one stock rom - 4.2.2

that backup had SuperSU installed and some crapware/bloatware removed... trying to hunt for my original/first backup (where everything was untouched), but can't find which HDD i saved it to

you could restore someone's /system.img backup via dd... too lazy to do it myself since I'm always switching b/w stock and my test-cm11 builds...

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Is 4.4.2 out yet for the Verizon version? I just got this tablet today. I have experience porting roms to other devices. Does anyone know, besides the l
LTE radio, what else is different in this device compared to the v500?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: cobra7361

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
Is 4.4.2 out yet for the Verizon version? I just got this tablet today. I have experience porting roms to other devices. Does anyone know, besides the l
LTE radio, what else is different in this device compared to the v500?

Don't think vk810 has 4.4.2 yet. Besides, v500 got kk in April. Verizon takes forever to approve a new ROM, if they didn't skip supporting this device already

The CPU in vk810 is a weaker variant of the v500. Kernel changes points to vk810 having an additional power supply component-bq24262

Last edited:

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Don't think vk810 has 4.4.2 yet. Besides, v500 got kk in April. Verizon takes forever to approve a new ROM, if they didn't skip supporting this device already

The CPU in vk810 is a weaker variant of the v500. Kernel changes points to vk810 having an additional power supply component-bq24262

Can't we remove the boot.img from a v500 rom and then flash? I'm talking about a stock rom, not cm11.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:
    AgsV.png
    WujW.png

Tablet look:
    eIDZ.png

fYob.png

CHANGELOG for 2.7.0.0:
    -Faster graphics rendering by disabling alpha blending on fully opaque objects thanks to Tassadar
    -Allow sideloading from /tmp on encrypted devices
    -Check for a crypto footer before asking for a password to prevent user confusion
    -Additional checks for validity to auto generated backup names
    -Text wrap in the console output
    -Proper caps lock support in the keyboard
    -Mouse support via USB OTG for devices with a broken digitizer
    -Improve scanning of storage locations for OpenRecoveryScript
    -Haptic feedback for buttons, keyboard, and vibration at the end of longer running actions thanks to Samer Diab
    -Fixed ext4 wiping when no selinux contexts are defined for that partition (e.g. sd-ext)
    -Update SuperSU to 1.93 and improve installation process
    -Added selinux contexts restoration to fix permissions
    -Load RTC offset on Qualcomm devices to fix the date/time in recovery
    -USB Mass Storage fixes Add SELinux support checking
    -Add Disk Usage class to better handle excluded folders (e.g. Google Music cache)
    -Add 4.4 decrypt support
    -Add some toolbox utilities to TWRP (namely to support SELinux functions not supported in busybox)
    -Various SELinux fixes and bug fixes

Note: 2.7 marks the first time that we are dropping support for older devices. We are doing this because of the SELinux support needed to install 4.4 Kit Kat ROMs. The non-TWRP parts of the recovery image have to be built in at least a 4.1 tree and the kernel that is included in the recovery image has to support writing SELinux contexts. We don't own most of the devices that we support so we depend on outside testers and developers to help us update devices. In many cases we can't find someone readily. Come to #twrp on Freenode if you want to help bring your device up to date. You can tell right away if your device will support 4.4 ROMs in 2.7. Boot TWRP and press the console button (the square-ish button either in the bottom middle or upper right) to view the console output. If it doesn't say "Full SELinux support" in the console, then your device still needs some work. Help us help you.

CHANGELOG for 2.6.3.0:
    -Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
    -Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
    -Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
    -Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
    -A few other fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.1.0:
    -Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it)
    -Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
    -Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
    -Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
    -Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
    -Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
    -Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
    -Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

CHANGELOG for 2.6.0.0:
    Special Note: If you are running a custom theme, you will likely need to remove that theme before updating to 2.6.0.0 as your custom theme will likely not have some of the new changes visible (e.g. you won't be able to encrypt a backup)!
    -Can encrypt a backup to prevent theft of private data from your backup files
    -Updated graphics / icon courtesy of shift
    -Updated exFAT to latest commits
    -Fixed a problem with Samsung TouchWiz decryption
    -Update SuperSU binary
    -Fixed saving of backup partitions list
    -Fixed saving of last used zip install folder
    -Fixed backup of datadata on devices that use a separate partition for datadata
    -Fixed some issues with the advanced wipe list (android_secure, can now wipe internal storage on data/media deivces and wipe data on the advanced list no longer formats the entire data partition)
    -Fixed some problems with partitioning a SD card
    -Various other bug fixes and tweaks

Notes about encrypted backups:
    Why encrypt your backups? -- Most people store their backups on the device. Any app that has permission to access storage could potentially read your backup files and try to harvest your data. Encrypted backups also provide an added layer of security if you move your backups to other storage devices or to the cloud. The encryption that we're using is probably not strong enough for enterprise level security, but should be strong enough to make it significantly difficult to get to your data.

Encryption is using OpenAES which uses AES 128-bit cbc encryption. If you happen to use a longer password (over 16 characters) then the encryption strength improves to 192 or 256 bits. Do not forget your password. If you forget your password you will be unable to restore your backup. We don't encrypt the entire backup. Encryption is very CPU intensive and can be fairly slow even when we spread the workload over multiple cores even on the latest high-end devices. To ensure that encrypted backups don't take forever, we don't encrypt any other partitions besides /data and in /data we don't encrypt /data/app (or other app related directories where apks are stored) and we don't encrypt dalvik cache.

DISCLAIMER:
    I nor anyone else is responsible for what you do to your device.
    but if something goes wrong I will do my best to help

This is for the Verizon Gpad Only

DOWNLOAD:

Please note this is for 4.2.2 only!
    Also if you want to take an OTA from Verizon you will need to put the stock recovery back and probably unroot

VK810_twrp_2.7.0.1.zip just unzip it and follow the directions in the README

update **
    VK810_twrp_2.7.0.2.zip just flash it in recovery (must have 2.7.0.1 installed first)

Instructions:

Code:
    open your terminal and cd to where loki_flash and twrp.lok is

now run these commands:

adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash

adb push twrp.lok /data/local/tmp/twrp.lok

adb shell

su

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/twrp.lok

exit

exit

adb reboot recovery

That is it you will now be in recovery

cheers

CREDITS:

@djrbliss for his bootloader patch LOKI this wouldn't be possible without it
    @Dees_Troy and team win for this wonderful recovery
    @id10terror for patching the aboot.img for this device. Be sure and thank him
    @traccdma for testing
    if I forgot someone please let me know
    Awesome your commit was merged

Yep, just saw that! Glad I could contribute something to the Verizon G Pad people!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the mention @Drgravy! I've initiated a pull request for the loki_patch changes to djrbliss' git :)

https://github.com/djrbliss/loki/pull/60

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Awesome your commit was merged

Code:
    adb shell

su

exit

exit