Asus new Padfone

Search This thread

Justin^Tan

Jul 14, 2010
I will buy in Indonesia, since even some international warranty does not applicable in Indonesia. Sony and Acer to name a few.

The new ASUS Transformer 300 just priced at $380-$400, making this new Padfone less desirable as you can get a phone+tablet combo for $1000 ($600 HTC One S + $400 ASUS TF300). One S is very similar to the phone part of the Padfone because it has S4 chip and qHD Super AMOLED display.

I'm a very impatient guy :D

well, I bought my MSI GX740 in US before via amazon, and then Dell XPS L702X via Dell itself

all have non applicable warranty I think, but fortunately, never had to use them
maybe I'm just lucky, that's all

and why I want this stuff is a jump from the original Galaxy Tab. 7" is a great form factor, but sometimes when I go to church, I need to give it to a friend or my moms purse. thats when it hit me. i need the little ones occasionaly. Even when I bought this padfone, the phone will likely stays in the pad station unless I needed it out. I hand carry my 7" tab anywhere I go, and thats my plan also with the pad station. would be a big no no for me to carry a separate phone and tablet since I only have 2 hands ^^. and the big attraction for me is I can even answer phone using the stylus without getting my phone out :D

1 data plan, 1 charger, 1 account for all my uses is much better for me

PlanetJumble

Mar 9, 2010
OnePlus 8T
The 2011 700gr Acer A500 has one, why this 2012 700gr thing don't?
Well, maybe they wanted to cut the costs of adding another internal USB hub. You can still eject your phone and use its USB port.
We really need reviews here, since we still don't know much about how the DynamicDisplay technology works outside the homescreen & the browser. I mean.... how it works in Asphalt 6?
In the videos I posted a few pages back there was a racing game played on the phone, then without exiting the guy inserted the phone into the station. Sadly, the tablet is out of the camera range for a second then, but when it returns into focus, the racing game appears to have been terminated automatically and had to be restarted. That naturally didn't take long, but I guess it is what we gonna have to live with. Apps not optimized for DynamicDisplay will have to be restarted, which is only logical, because up to now there aren't any devices changing resolution on the fly.

Probably only a handful of preloaded apps like browser, notes, email and video player will be optimized. But maybe Asus releases an SDK for 3rd party apps where it makes sense - I doubt that it would get much attention though, unless Padfone becomes all the rage (which I guess it won't).

According to the spec sheet, the PadFone Station (that tablet screen) has a "MicroUSB" connector (and MicroHDMI).
Yes, it has, but they are in the hatch and docked to the phone. Really, the station (with phone) only has a 3.5mm audio I/O port and the dock connector, nothing else (besides power and volume buttons).

Steven82

Apr 17, 2012
grr

Italian leak says it'll be €699 so around £572 BEFORE tax and that DOESN'T include the tablet extra :( I doubt I'll be paying £650+ for this and then an extra £150+ for tablet and then £100+ for keyboard. That's £900 for something we've had very little information on.

I can't post a link as it's my first post but search for "asus padfone uk release date"
that were done in the past week. top article

PlanetJumble

Mar 9, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Italian leak says it'll be €699 so around £572 BEFORE tax and that DOESN'T include the tablet extra :(
The european prices always include tax, and the Padfone will only be sold with the Station in Europe. I don't know where you got that from, but I read the original italian source (translated) and there has been nothing of these two points.

Just apply common sense! Selling the phone alone at €830 (calculated using german sales tax) is way off the chart.

I can't post a link as it's my first post but search for "asus padfone uk release date" that were done in the past week. top article
androidauthority.com? It says nothing about tax and only said that €699 will be without keyboard (implying correctly that it will include the Station).

Last edited:

Steven82

Apr 17, 2012
Gottabemobile I found it on

when I said "before tax" I meant before UK tax, this was an italian leak so different tax costs etc but sorry for not stating.

seems like an end of may release with sim free in june

Steven82

Apr 17, 2012
? not seen anyone here quoting a €699 price tag for europe.

According to Notebook Italia, ASUS announced the Padfone will be available in Italy at the end of May. The carrier and pricing for the phone wasn’t announced. However, ASUS did say the Android phone along with the Padfone Station 32GB will be available for €699. That’s roughly $920 in the US, which seems steep for a phone and its tablet docking station.

or go to notebookitalia.it/prezzi-ufficiali-e-date-per-asus-padfone-transformer-pad-300-e-700-14493

Justin^Tan

Jul 14, 2010
since its using euro currency, maybe it will be roughly the same for all europe
and on that article, and many other article I read, the Italian price tag is indeed for the phone and the pad

I dont know about UK tax regulation but 650+ pounds for the phone itself? might as well go pre order on ebay for 650 pound and you got yourself the phone + pad (stylus included of course) and it is already way steep from the normal price coz thats a pre order price

timboyce94

Sep 15, 2011
Yes, it has, but they are in the hatch and docked to the phone. Really, the station (with phone) only has a 3.5mm audio I/O port and the dock connector, nothing else (besides power and volume buttons).

That's one thing that really gets to me, no HDMI out from the tablet. So say you put the phone in the tablet dock and attach that to the keyboard dock, you can attach USB devices, SD cards, audio out, but no HDMI out :( It would be the perfect device to use with external monitors.

I guess when it's just the phone you could do it, but then it outputs at the lower resolution and you wouldn't be able to run tablet-optimized apps and also you wouldn't have USB or SD.

Not the end of the world and I'm still really interested in this device, but would've been nice.

As a side note, I wonder if we could eventually use the tablet dock without the phone as a battery powered monitor for hdmi devices.

Last edited:

Cyman

Jan 3, 2006
Zurich
delay!

The wait is not over yet...

ASUS announced on their Facebook-Taiwan-Page, that the ASUS Padfone has some problems with performance and the material.

So they changed the release date from 4/20 to 5/11 cause they have to ship all the PadFones back to their factory.

This is very bad news, guess the European release will never make it to the end of May...

bluebobx

Feb 9, 2011
Fife
That's wrong - according to Asus themselves, the PadFone Station has:
3.5 mm audio jack,40pin connector
Micro-USB / Micro-HDMI <------------
Phone Antenna / GPS Antenna
High Quality Speakers, SonicMaster
Sure, these are pass-through ports for the two that are on the phone itself, and are covered by little plastic flaps. I think that - like the TF101 - they're placed on the right-hand side of the tablet dock (with the screen facing you). Do you really think that Asus would design this thing and then get the ports so badly wrong?! :confused:
That's one thing that really gets to me, no HDMI out from the tablet.
Yes there is! :D
I guess when it's just the phone you could do it, but then it outputs at the lower resolution and you wouldn't be able to run tablet-optimized apps and also you wouldn't have USB or SD.
Reviews I've read seem to suggest that the tablet optimized (ICS!) apps will run quite happily on the docked PadFone. I'm guessing that there's some API that apps can use to tell if they're running on an ICS phone or tablet and refuse to run if they're for a tablet and you're using a phone.
As a side note, I wonder if we could eventually use the tablet dock without the phone as a battery powered monitor for hdmi devices.
Very, very unlikely. AFAIK the dock is a dumb device so you'd need some form of electronics to drive it.

PlanetJumble

Mar 9, 2010
OnePlus 8T
That's wrong - according to Asus themselves, the PadFone Station has:
Micro-USB / Micro-HDMI <------------
Sure, these are pass-through ports for the two that are on the phone itself, and are covered by little plastic flaps.
Show me any video or photo depicting those!

I can show you a dozen videos debating every connector and every button on every side of the tablet. None of those show any HDMI or USB ports (besides the hatch).

Justin^Tan

Jul 14, 2010
The wait is not over yet...

ASUS announced on their Facebook-Taiwan-Page, that the ASUS Padfone has some problems with performance and the material.

So they changed the release date from 4/20 to 5/11 cause they have to ship all the PadFones back to their factory.

This is very bad news, guess the European release will never make it to the end of May...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt????
for real?

PlanetJumble

Mar 9, 2010
OnePlus 8T
I had it in my hands
y-u-no-meme-generator-u-had-padfone-y-u-no-hold-tight-ce8a19.jpg

twcoll

Jul 29, 2007
Not trying to deny or dispute what anyone is saying here, but......

Does Asus really expect us to charge these devices with different connectors? If there is only the docking port and the headphone port available externally on the tablet station, it will seem silly to maintain different connectors to charge the batteries in each of these devices. Just for simplicity sake, I hope that they, at the very least, include the USB port for charging.

Steven82

Apr 17, 2012
Not trying to deny or dispute what anyone is saying here, but......

Does Asus really expect us to charge these devices with different connectors? If there is only the docking port and the headphone port available externally on the tablet station, it will seem silly to maintain different connectors to charge the batteries in each of these devices. Just for simplicity sake, I hope that they, at the very least, include the USB port for charging.

there's a charge port is on the tablet, it's not usb so yeah I see what you're saying. I have a sneaky suspicion there'll be a charger for the keyboard, another for the tablet and another for the phone.... pretty stupid if you ask me but I see no other way. They already claimed a charge port on the tablet and ac on the keyboard.... and phone has it's own. I guess it's precautionary but up to you how you do that. at most you'd use the laptop to charge everything.

for me I'd keep keyboard dock/phone charger at home and tablet charger at work. I kinda like that thought. "just in case"

I'm sure there'll be something, if not, just use wifi for clones. sure someone can make software to upscale.

Last edited:

Mr.Clark

Feb 15, 2006
If the keyboard dock is the same as the transformer one, the charging lead for that is the same as the connector to the tablet, so you can use the same lead for both. Or you can plug them together and charge them as one through the keyboard dock.

I'm guessing they'll provide one USB-dock cable, one USB-microUSB cable and one AC-USB plug.

Justin^Tan

Jul 14, 2010
My thought as well that you could charge the phone + pad from the pad itself, can't ya? coz logically when u charge your pad, your pad charge your phone, so it still make sense aight?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the new Padfone plus a couple other new products

The Padfone looks interesting but no real specs as of yet

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229101/asus_announces_padfone_tabletphone_and_199_netbook.html

or here is their promo link

http://event.asus.com/mobile/padfone/

Check it out
    Just a quick heads up that i'm in the process of creating one of my 'Superboot' auto-root images for the Padfone 2 (it's already working!), then i'll do a tweaked ROM. I'll be posting them both here and in the new MoDaCo Padfone 2 forum.

P

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

And here it is.

Superboot for the Padfone 2!

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360416-superboot-padfone-2-root-solution/

P
    HDMI

i talked to asus sweden on facebook, they told me that microHDMI to TV should not be any problems. They told me that the microHDMI cable is the problem.

Because of the design of the phone the HDMI cable is not getting to the bottom of the microHDMI hole, so hey said i could try to cut away a little of plastic from the microHDMI cable so it get longer into the connector on the padfone.

can anyone confirm this?

im getting my padfone tonight :D so i'll try it then if i manage to get a microHDMI to HDMI cable.

i dont know hot deep the connector input on the phone is, but im guessing is should be enough to cut away 2-3mm of the plastic around the cable so the connector get the whole way in :p

It's like trying to get to wonderland with only putting the key to the door halfway in.
    Hi,

I just modify a way to root Padfone 4.0.4 without lost data.

You need download 3 firmware file (1 full firmware CHT-PadFone-9.18.8.41_CHT and 2 OTA firmware Firmware 9.18.8.41 to 9.20.1.22(CHT), Firmware 9.20.1.22 to 9.20.2.14(CHT)).

Take it here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Mobile_Phone/PadFone/CHT_PadFoneuser9_18_8_41UpdateLauncher.zip (this file must be extract and copy zip file under ASUS folder)
    AND OTA firmware: http://www.padfoneclub.com/pl/content/content.php?content.15

Copy 3 zip file to a SD Card, put SD Card to your phone.

Enable setting first:
    "Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources"
    "Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging"
    OR
    "Settings > Security > Unknown Sources"
    "Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging"

Go to recovery and install CHT-PadFone-9.18.8.41_CHT then boot, while your phone booting put your phone to pc usb and run RootDebugfs.bat and chose steep Root. When you receive mes "Keep here, install 2 OTA Firmware at recovery. Once 2 OTA Firmware install completed and your devices has finished restarting".

Keep it here and keep usb pc connected padfone. Go to recovery and install 2 OTA (install at one Firmware 9.18.8.41 to 9.20.1.22(CHT) first, then Firmware 9.20.1.22 to 9.20.2.14(CHT), don't need reboot). After install completed, reboot and complete step at root cmd on your PC.

All done!

If got error on root chmod script, try it by your self: Run CMD, type "adb shell" enter, then type list command bellow:

su
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p21 /system
    chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
    rm /data/local/tmp
    mv /data/local/tmp.bak /data/local/tmp
    rm /data/local/su
    rm /data/local/debugfs
    rm /data/local/debugfsinput
    exit
    exit

----

Thanks to sparkym3 for root tools: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588

Sorry for my bad English :(
    Supersu working on padfone 2 A68

Tonite I'm trying to replace adbd In ramdisk with an insecure version.

I'|| report results.

Inviato dal mio PadFone 2 con Tapatalk 2

..... TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN!!!

you might wanna look at the below screenshots

we gooooooot da root!!! :D