[BOUNTY] USB Dock Music & Phone Audio - AOSP - Bounty: $711 - WORKS ON LIQUID 4.2.2

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
If you want to use a DAC other than what is in the S3, you'll need one of a couple options.

You can use an MHL cable to output HDMI video/audio to an external source which would use its own DAC. I haven't tried this option with AOSP/CM but it supposedly works fine in Samsung based ROM's.

Or you can use a USB-OTG cable to output digital audio to an external DAC such as what's being used in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/300#post_8700170

But ATM, I'm unable to get CM10 to play with a USB-OTG cable to do this. I'm still researching though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xero258

mkintop

Oct 15, 2011
Does anyone else like to use Bluetooth for calls and USB Audio Out for music? That's my preference and it works on TW ROM's but not AOSP ROM's from what I can tell. In AOSP once you turn on the "Dock USB Audio" option it appears to turn off any ability to use Bluetooth.

Maybe I'm the only one that wants this?

Reactions: quattrob8

Polymira

Oct 14, 2009
Does anyone know if this has been brought over to AOKP yet? I'm running CM10 right now so that I can use my desk dock in my car. But, I really miss AOKP.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Anonymous audio lover = $500

still hasn't donated eh ?

He hasn't responded to my emails at all. So if he has donated, he hasn't let me know about it. :( :(
Not very good for future "Bounty" endevours. Anyone who says they will donate should just freakin donate.

Does anyone know if this has been brought over to AOKP yet? I'm running CM10 right now so that I can use my desk dock in my car. But, I really miss AOKP.

It works in Paranoid's version of AOKP, but not in any other AOKP yet.

I've moved on to digital audio myself. The USB Audio was an awesome step in the right direction, but just wasn't good enough for me.

Hopefully CyanogeMOD will someday add DAC support. Here's my audio thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033527

baublitz

Jun 21, 2012
Speaking of, where can I donate? I just tested the dock audio and success, it works! I will give more than I was going to since Mr. High-Roller seems to be shirking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

CrusherJoe

Apr 23, 2009
Austin, TX...y'all.
Right up front I want to say that having this work has made CM10 a viable option for me. I do a lot of driving and when I drive, I listen to media on my phone blah blah blah you get the idea. This new feature works, and works perfectly.

Well, almost.

While docked with this feature turned on, ALL audio from the phone goes out through USB, including...phone audio. I usually use a BT headset but when the battery dies I like to switch over to speakerphone which is more than adequate. I don't always have media coming out of my phone, so when this happens I have to set up everything to get audio from a phone call.

I was wondering if there was some way that I was unaware of to make just plain ol' phone speaker speakerphone work while docked. I double-checked and the stock ROM does this, so I know it's possible somehow. Anyone have any ideas?

pimpnmaxima

Aug 23, 2010
I am running task AOKP 10.1 and dock audio does not work.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

beobu

Sep 13, 2008
He hasn't responded to my emails at all. So if he has donated, he hasn't let me know about it. :( :(
Not very good for future "Bounty" endevours. Anyone who says they will donate should just freakin donate.

It works in Paranoid's version of AOKP, but not in any other AOKP yet.

I've moved on to digital audio myself. The USB Audio was an awesome step in the right direction, but just wasn't good enough for me.

Hopefully CyanogeMOD will someday add DAC support. Here's my audio thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033527

Will this work for LG LTE2? I use CM10 for my phone and it was not support Audio dock.
If this work, I want to donate 10$ for this project. Should I transfer right now?
Thx

baublitz

Jun 21, 2012
Re: [BOUNTY] USB Dock Music & Phone Audio - CM10 & CM 10.1 - Bounty: $711 NOW WORKING

Looks like CM10.1 is working now. As of Nightly Build 2013-02-10.

However, I'm having trouble adjusting the volume on pandora when docked. Unusual.

That's been the case for me on CM10 as well. I have to drag the volume bar in the Pandora app down and then max to make it work. Not a huge deal... thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone.

I'm currently working on this along with Araemo and bbelos. None of us even realized there was a bounty for this before today. You can track our patches here:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25281/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25274/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/25279/

Just to give you an update of where we are at. It basically works, but we are trying to decide how to handle phone call audio. I think what we are going to do is have the speakerphone toggle jump between using the dock, and using the speakerphone speaker. Currently, we can do one or the other, but only in the code. The toggle isn't doing anything yet. Once that's all done, we still have to get it verified and approved.

So, hopefully none of you have to wait much longer. It is nice to use my car dock again. :laugh:
    [BOUNTY] USB Dock Music & Phone Audio - AOSP - Bounty: $711 - WORKS ON LIQUID 4.2.2

EDIT AS OF 5/5/2012: Hahah, just as soon as I finally update the thread, it's now working again. AS OF 5/5/2013, ANALOG USB AUDIO IS WORKING ON 4.2.2 AOSP LiquidSmooth, release 5/5/2013 "Official", linked below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2039995

EDIT AS OF 5/4/2013: THIS FEATURE IS NO LONGER WORKING ON NORTH AMERICAN 4.2.2 AOSP PHONES

EDIT AS OF 11/15/2012: THIS FEATURE IS NOW WORKING ON ALL NORTH AMERICAN MODELS. THANK YOU CYANOGENMOD TEAM!!!!

****Please make your bounty donations to the CyanogenMOD team. You'll find the donate button at the bottom of their website:

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[BOUNTY] Enable USB Dock Audio out with Call Routing for CM10/AOKP - Currently $711.00
    If you want to put money into the pot, just let me know and I'll add your name/amount to this thread. You hold onto your money until it's time to donate to the dev(s).

Why we want this:

--Car Stereo buffs like to dock our phones and use the better sounding USB audio out to our car stereos.
    --Home sound buffs would like to be able to do the same.

FACT #1: When working properly, the USB audio sounds WAY better/cleaner than Bluetooth.

FACT #2: CyanogenMod/AOKP may never get the APT-X codec for HD quality bluetooth. And Bluetooth is occasionally flakey anyways (for different users).

What is needed is for a Dev to enable audio output to external speakers when docked. And for the call audio to be re-directed to external also. And for the call audio ringing to be able to start at low volume and ramp up from there, so it doesn't blast anyone's ears out.

One Dev who has already accomplished part of what we want (but for a different phone):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1473201

I was contacted recently by the iBolt car dock engineers. This is something they would like to get going also. So if you're a dev and want to tap into their resources, I can give you their contact info. Just to clarify, they did not request that I put up this thread. This is all my own doing.

I use the iBolt Dock:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1806888&highlight=ibolt

And I use Car Home Ultra which works fantastic as a dock app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.

If you don't care about USB audio out when docked, then please don't post in this thread. I'd like to keep it clean for just the folks who care about USB audio. :)

CURRENT BOUNTY CONTRIBUTORS:

1. Anonymous audio lover = $500
    2. CZ Eddie = $50 ---PAID
    3. atmospher1c = $25
    4. MethodX = $20
    5. luckychef28 = $15
    6. junglizste = $15 ---PAID
    7. crash822 = $10 --PAID
    8. Raul77 = $10
    9. shanghei = $10
    10. mRahmani = $10
    11. noy-z = $10 --PAID
    12. fish3191 = $10 --PAID
    13. BlackDino = $10
    14. baublitz = $5
    15. wes008 = $5 --PAID
    16. aaronshaw = $5
    17. Quasimodem = $1

First screenshot attached = AOKP and CyanogenMOD ROM that doesn't have the audio output when docked option. Or the option is greyed out.
    Second screenshot attached = Stock ROM that DOES have this option.
    Hey guys,

Just providing an update. 2 out of the 3 patches we need for this to work have been merged. The last patch we need merged is here: http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/25274/

Once that's in, you'll have a toggle under 'Sound'' that will allow you to turn on dock audio.

I can't really give a timeline on when that will be merged, since it is entirely out of our control. All we can do is pester people higher up to take a look and get it merged. We all appreciate your patience.

-Kyle
    Guys, you can have Bluetooth or USB. Unfortunately there is no possibility to have both work at the same time.

1) If you are listening to USB docked music, then you cannot have bluetooth turned on also. Because then you don't get any audio out of the USB (even on stock ROM).
    Wrong..

The moment you turn bluetooth on your phone, it will disable all audio from the USB output. Heck, it even disables the internal speaker on the phone.
    Nope. Turning bluetooth on does not do this.

Connecting a bluetooth A2DP sink does this. Now, when you turn on bluetooth, if your car supports A2DP, it probably auto-connects, and does this to you. However, in the bluetooth menu in android, under the settings for the paired device, you can disable 'media audio' for that device in the phone. Now, if you connect a bluetooth device that supports both Headset audio and media audio.. the phone only actually connects to the headset audio profile, leaving your media audio routing as if there was nothing connected to bluetooth. (My bluetooth earpiece 'supports' a2dp - but it's poor quality and mono, why would I want to use it?)

2) Even if you could get both USB and bluetooth to work at the same time, let's say you're listening to USB music on your phone to your car stereo and take an incoming call, then what is going to tell your car stereo to automatically switch from AUX to Bluetooth? Nothing.
    Why wouldn't it? Bluetooth media audio (A2DP) is a completely different bluetooth service from bluetooth handsfree profile or headset profile. Your car stereo probably supports both A2DP and Handsfree Profile. If it didn't support Handsfree profile, you wouldn't be able to take calls through it. Handsfree profile allows the phone to indicate that there is an incoming call, and to activate the handsfree device when the call is answered. So.. bluetooth would tell your car stereo, as it is supposed to.

Sorry bluetooth lovers, it just won't work. :)
    Let's try to keep this thread uncluttered and on topic. Many of us are subscribing to the thread.
    Well, hope you learned something with your subscription. :)

Excuse a newbie question here...

So are we looking for a solution for a particular dock (the iBolt or OEM version) or should this solution work for any USB input? My car stereo only has USB input (iPod, thumb drive, or usb hard drive) and I'm looking for a solution where I can plug the micro-USB into my SGS3 and the USB into the stereo and have it seen like a usb drive (or, even better, like an iPod where I can use the audio streaming apps on my phone).

Is that what this is intended to address?

Appreciate the feedback,
    phlepper

This is for the samsung OEM docks (And work-alikes) that use a 619 kOhm resistor between MicroUSB pins 4 and 5 to trigger 'car dock' mode, and have the data pins of the MicroUSB connector connected to the right/left channels of the audio jack/cable.

This does not hook up to a USB data port - the data pins are re-purposed to carry analogue audio instead of a digital signal. So you would use an OEM dock that lets you plug an 'aux cable' from the dock to your car stereo.. or you could make yourself soemething like this and plug the usb plug into your charger, and the 3.5mm jack into your aux-in.

Bluetooth call audio is working still - with our patches, bluetooth devices still take priority for call audio, so those of you using it that way are still fine.

However, we're trying to get this in CM10 proper, which means we are trying not to make anything work worse than it does currently. IE, if we made it so you couldn't use speakerphone in the dock, it'd be a regression, and I bet there are those who would see that as an issue. It should be fully fixable, but you gotta give us time to figure out how. :)

On an aside, this thread educated me about the downsides to A2DP streaming from CM10. I'm really disappointed that the quality is so bad - I thought it passed 16bit/44.1khz PCM over bt, not some horribly lossy mess. I want to start looking into that next - I don't really like having a dock in the way in my car, so I've been looking into an A2DP-capable receiver, but I don't want the quality to be horrible.. but I am curious, does anyone know if CM supports the mid-level codecs bluez supports? Apt-X is one high-quality codec, but A2DP defines MP3 or AAC coding is allowed as well, both of which it looks like BlueZ supports (Howerver, no Bluetooth A2DP device is required to support MP3, AAC, or Apt-X, just "SBC", which is the ****ty codec) - I wonder if it's really just up to what codecs your device supports?
    in your opinion how difficult would it be to provide the USB audio functionality (for use with external DACs) that is present in the TouchWiz ROM?

As far as I'm aware, that should work without issue in CM10... but I've never tested any USB-OTG functionality (I have no USB-OTG adapters), so I don't know that for sure. Are you saying that you've tested it, and it doesn't work?

Edit: Give it a try with the latest nightly, if you could.. it looks to me like it might just work right now. in which case, I HOPE our fix for dock audio doesn't break it.. but from some quick googling, it looks like it might have some code overlap that might cause us grief.