[ADB] adb server is out of date. killing...

Search This thread

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
I am keep getting this message whenever I try to adb. It corrects itself and works fine after. But it annoying waiting that additional few seconds... I didnt have this before. Any idea why I am getting it now?

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
what sdk version are you using? also have you gone to task manager and tried ending adb.exe?

I am using the latest SDK. Thanks! That fixed it. Ending adb.exe in Task Manager... I was messing around cos I cant get fastboot to work. I go into FastbootUSB, connect my usb, run "fastboot devices", and I get no results. It just waits for my next command.

Dror520

May 28, 2009
I tried killing adb.exe after I wrote an adb command and it didn't do anything. I keep getting that out out date killing .... can anyone help? thanks!

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
i was having the same problem, i took ADB.exe and adbwinapi.dll from 1.5r2 SDK and put it in the new SDK Tools folder, problem was fixed

mrnv45

Sep 14, 2009
while your phone is in recovery and plugged in, go to device manager and see if there is a listing called adb interface. if so, do you know how to manually update the drivers? by pointing the driver update to the usb folder of the sdk?
konzern

running my adb shell ums_enable is no longer working says ums not found ?

edit to m y post i found a alternative thank god!

1.plug in your phone and open command prompt
2.change directories to where u have ur sdk stuff (ex. cd c:\thenameofdirectory/tools)
3.type this in
adb shell
echo /dev/block/mmcblk0 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

Last edited:

_zygo_

Nov 16, 2009
Kansas City
I am curious if any of you loaded Droid Explorer? I loaded it, played around with it, and it was pretty cool for the screenshot and screencast stuff. But, later I noticed I kept getting the "adb server is out of date. killing..." I searched through these threads and Google for a solution, but nothing seemed to work. I could enter "adb remount" and it might work about 1 time in 5. Even adb devices would fail and fail before finally reporting my device. After I uninstalled Droid Explorer. The problem stopped immediately. Now that I think about it, I think Droid Explorer runs a service. Maybe after uninstalling, the services stopped, fixing this problem. If not Droid Explorer, maybe some other program that is trying to detect the device at plugin. Just my experience.

Reactions: Robtao

giantcrazy

Sep 29, 2007
I just killed the DroidExplorer service, and set it to manual. Problem solved.

I've had no luck with DE anyhow, so it probably won't get started again any time soon.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
I am curious if any of you loaded Droid Explorer? I loaded it, played around with it, and it was pretty cool for the screenshot and screencast stuff. But, later I noticed I kept getting the "adb server is out of date. killing..." I searched through these threads and Google for a solution, but nothing seemed to work. I could enter "adb remount" and it might work about 1 time in 5. Even adb devices would fail and fail before finally reporting my device. After I uninstalled Droid Explorer. The problem stopped immediately. Now that I think about it, I think Droid Explorer runs a service. Maybe after uninstalling, the services stopped, fixing this problem. If not Droid Explorer, maybe some other program that is trying to detect the device at plugin. Just my experience.

Yes, this is a problem that occurs after installing Droid Explorer. The service also takes a lot of idle CPU time. I have uninstalled it due to this and other reasons.

shizzyraw585

Aug 16, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
OK, I got droid explorer and adb playing nice together. I deleted the SDK from my PC, and reinstalled droid explorer full (which comes with the SDK already). Then I just added the new tools directory droid explorer installs to the system path. You can find directions on how to do that here -> http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Sapphire_Hacking#sec02 . Instead of using C:\AndriodSDK\Tools\ for the string I added, I used the default location where droid explorer installs the tools directory ( C:\Program Files\Droid Explorer\SDK\tools ). Now I have the best of both worlds :D !

_zygo_

Nov 16, 2009
Kansas City
Yes, this is a problem that occurs after installing Droid Explorer. The service also takes a lot of idle CPU time. I have uninstalled it due to this and other reasons.

I also noticed I was getting the blue screen of death, which I hadn't seen in years. I think DE was causing that, too, because I haven't had the BSOD since uninstall. So two problems I didn't think were related seem to have been caused by Droid Explorer. I think it's a pretty cool program, but I'd rather do things the "old fashioned" way.

Can any of you point me in the direction of how to use ADB to take a screenshot? Maybe it can't. Thanks.

Edit: I found it...Through DDMS!

Last edited:

wolfsbaine

Jan 21, 2008
I am keep getting this message whenever I try to adb. It corrects itself and works fine after. But it annoying waiting that additional few seconds... I didnt have this before. Any idea why I am getting it now?

Sounds like you have droid explorer installed, goto the sdk folder in droid explorer (c:\program files\droid explorer\sdk) copy the 2 folders (platform and tools) to your own sdk folder.

Apr 20, 2010
If anyone runs into this problem I fixed mine with the adb.exe from the new "universal" sdk. I downloaded it and just pasted that adb.exe into the existing tools folder. May not be recommended but I did not want to change my setup.

Can you link to the "universal" download please? Probably missing something obvious here, but can't seem to find any other version than the most recent r05.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    what sdk version are you using? also have you gone to task manager and tried ending adb.exe?
    +1. It was the droid explorer service.
    This was driving me crazy on win-7 64bit.

Code:
    [COLOR="Sienna"]C:\>adb devices
    adb server is out of date.  killing...
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    HT9CPPXXXXXX    device

C:\>adb devices
    ** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon

List of devices attached
    HT9CPPXXXXXX    device[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]<stopped+disabled the droid explorer service>[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Green"]C:\>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    HT9CPPXXXXXX    device

List of devices attached
    HT9CPPXXXXXX    device

List of devices attached
    HT9CPPXXXXXX    device[/COLOR]
    This could be because multiple adb.exe is running on your windows, and is automatically started by droidexplorer, if you have that. check for it.
    I had this problem too so I closed droid explorer and then all adb.exe's, that fixed it for me.

I am using the latest SDK. Thanks! That fixed it. Ending adb.exe in Task Manager... I was messing around cos I cant get fastboot to work. I go into FastbootUSB, connect my usb, run "fastboot devices", and I get no results. It just waits for my next command.

I've had no luck with DE anyhow, so it probably won't get started again any time soon.