Broke my GS4 screen, couldn't CWM, switch to Nexus 5?

Search This thread

RavynX

May 16, 2014
So a couple months back I pulled my Galaxy S4 (i337) out of my pocket to find a spider-crack smash on the right side of the home button. I've used the phone since they with the cracks going all the way up the screen. I bought the replacement screen, tools, and 2mm tape to repair it myself an I end up cracking the digitizer (ugh...).

My phone has an insurance plan through AT&T with a $200 deductible. But I've been a little intrigued by the Nexus 5 as of late. Backing up a bit I spent the last week getting my GS4 rooted and I've been unsuccessful installing Clockworkmod to do a proper backup and I've been wanting to install ROMs to try and get rid of the Samsung/ATT bloatware but I haven't had any luck (phone build is MK2).

Anyway, my question I wanted to ask people is should I pay $200 and get the phone replaced and wait for a suitable ROM to be available down the road or is it worth paying $349+tax to get a 16MB Nexus 5?

My main concerns about the N5 have been battery life, no external storage, and poor camera compared to the GS4, and the on-screen buttons taking up screen real estate. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Chalao

Oct 2, 2013
My main concerns about the N5 have been battery life, no external storage, and poor camera compared to the GS4, and the on-screen buttons taking up screen real estate. Thoughts? Suggestions?

In addition to what you mentioned, keep in mind that the battery is not replaceable and is the same crap as LG, Sony, Apple and HTC. Once your battery dies, your phone dies with it which is also from an ecological point of view very questionable. I´d try to get a S4 produced before August 2013 so you don´t need to worry about Knox or region lock and can flash whatever you like and be free :fingers-crossed:

RavynX

May 16, 2014
In addition to what you mentioned, keep in mind that the battery is not replaceable and is the same crap as LG, Sony, Apple and HTC. Once your battery dies, your phone dies with it which is also from an ecological point of view very questionable. I´d try to get a S4 produced before August 2013 so you don´t need to worry about Knox or region lock and can flash whatever you like and be free :fingers-crossed:

Well, I think you can replace the battery but you void your warranty by opening the case on the Nexus 5. I ended up going with the insurance claim to get a replacement GS4. It would probably take me forever to find a used GS4 on Craigslist that hadn't had its software updated or had a bad IMEI. Ah well. I'll keep my hopes up for the next one that doesn't have Knox on it, bleh.

That and we're in the process of buying a house so I don't have the luxury of waiting after thinking about it for a couple of days. Meh. =/

Last edited: