[Q] adb - OUYA stuck as read-only, why?

Search This thread

Hyd-

Mar 23, 2014
Hello beautiful people.

Keep in mind that I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 to do this. I'm trying to transfer my own bootanimation.zip to the OUYA but I can't because the system is set as read-only. adb recognizes my OUYA, if I use "adb devices" it shows the device, but I can't do anything else with it besides that. I read online that if I use "adb remount", it would mount as read/write. I tried that and I got "remount failed: Operation not permitted". I also read something about "adb root", I can't remember what exactly I had to do with that, but I got this "adbd cannot run as root in production builds".

If any more information is needed, please do ask for it. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hyd-

Mar 23, 2014
try something like

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount /system

After I used that, I tried to push the bootanimation.zip to the OUYA with:

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip system/media/

And I got this:

Code:
shell@android:/ # adb push bootanimation.zip system/media/
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5038 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
1|shell@android:/ #

It doesn't recognize it...

djden

Aug 7, 2011
After I used that, I tried to push the bootanimation.zip to the OUYA with:

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip system/media/

And I got this:

Code:
shell@android:/ # adb push bootanimation.zip system/media/
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5038 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
1|shell@android:/ #

It doesn't recognize it...

Try adb insecure http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1687590

Hyd-

Mar 23, 2014

I think that worked. I installed that, pushed it to the OUYA while on adb shell and got this:

Code:
1319 KB/s (2971409 bytes in 2.199s)

Acer@Aspire5315:~$

I couldn't see my bootanimation though, the screen was pitch-black until the "OUYA" voice and logo popped out. I suppose it was an error on my end, I'll have to try with another bootanimation and see. Thanks.

Edit: I tried to push another bootanimation but now it won't recognize it again...

Edit 2: It worked again but without adb shell... I downloaded another bootanimation, and got the same results. Odd...

Last edited:

ucenna

May 9, 2012
I'm having the same problem. The above commands presumably changed the filesystem to RW, but now when I try to push my file it says:
cannot stat 'OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip': No such file or directory

I've tried everything I can think of. Restarting everything. Using the entire system path. Trying to leave shell and then run the command (which seems to send it back to r-o filesystem)
trying to rename the zip to make sure I'm typing the full thing correctly.

Any help?

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Try doing adb shell as as super user and doing chmod 777 to any relevant directories on your Ouya (like /sdcard/ etc).