[APP][4.0+] New business scanner app for Android

Search This thread

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
Hi guys! Let us introduce our new Android app PDF Scanner.

PDF Scannner allows to scan docs with your phone camera, edit image, recognise text with OCR, convert to multipage PDF, save and share via appropriate app.

D2UPlQWXiijCyUPYgMzp_IVajFJX0smsScWRbiFJBFD-PrlPnsW9HP_GL1EMNH43EQc=h310
6TmI3VtCDBykGHvQmkzGezRbQ3AW0E4PevXQwjHGpX_ScvsdE_GXnqmbtV23wqjlh_E=h310
dh82oKG69zA2jH_Ya4f9ZoTuxaJwpS5M5GoktfxeNQMONaDjo35GbJlAezUaN3EAXTI=h310
eh3-7W4Mvig7bXQs_ZOU1LZERee0IWMHNxTHj-noJQfy3f4e_RAGIr1WgzF5x0R4_OM=h310
WzUw5HiEuf0imULPXEtKSWhl160tT9_Qio_HMV0-PUy0KP6ECl9BJCDM-vd74Jr7C15V=h310

Features

* Convert your docs into PDF format

Use your phone camera to scan all kinds of paper documents, ranging from receipts, notes, invoices, business cards to contracts, whiteboard discussions, certificates, etc.

* Efficient image processing

Smart doc detection algorithm, OCR text recognition, perspective correction, rectangular trim, aspect ratio adjustment, image enhancing controls – all in one window for your convenience. This makes scanning process both easy and efficient, especially for batch processing mode.

* Text recognition, OCR

Built-in OCR system to recognise and extract text from images. All processing is performed locally right on users device, what keeps sensitive data contained and secure. You can share recognized text to any app installed on your device to create a new email, sms, translate to other languages with Google Translate (for instance), etc.

*Share PDF/JPEG Files

Convert images to premium quality PDF and Upload documents to cloud storage services: dropbox, gdocs, evernote, use mail services, bluetooth or facebook, twitter, skype, etc. with no limits and absolutely free

What makes our scanner app different from others:

- all image processing in one window, no need to switch between separate screens during image editing
- aspect ratio control feature. You can shrink/stretch image as necessary
- Built-in OCR system (50 languages supported). All processing is performed locally right on users device, what keeps sensitive data contained and secure
- both portrait and landscape UI are supported for better user experience
- no limits on number of documents, pages, etc.

Installation instructions

Permissions:
- Access Network State, Internet, Bluetooth: needed to share documents
- Write External Storage, Test access to protected storage: needed to save documents to your device

Downloads

Available on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grymala.photoscannerpdftrial

The free version has all features unlocked, however scanned documents are generated with watermark, plus there is a limit for OCR credits. You can upgrade to PRO version at any time to remove watermarks, ad banners and lift OCR limitations.

XDA:DevDB Information
PDF Scanner FREE + OCR Plugin, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
GRYMALA

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.1.10
Stable Release Date: 2014-05-11

Created 2014-05-06
Last Updated 2014-05-22

Last edited:

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Very nice app.
Just a suggestion: after ocr , the app propose to share the recognised text with an app like mail message ... insteadof to have the possibility to save the text with the scanned object and to have possibility to paste the recognised text into office app.

Best regard

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your feedback. Thats true, saving recognised text together with the scanned image is currently out of the scope of presented functionallity. It would be very helpful if you could describe how you see it. We are very opened to accept suggestions/recommendations from our users. Feel free to submit a Feature Request.

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Hello Pave

Some problems I met and I would like to share:

1) the grips for modifying an image (crop/sale/perspective) are very small and often my finger press/click an icon (ocr/ upright- or scale/crop/perspective-down left)

2) when I modify a picture (filter or* crop or scale...) in order to enhance the success of ocr-ing text or just scan the interesting part, I apply filter, crop,...but after It's impossible to save the modified picture.

And when ocr is launched,* all the picture is scanned despite it was modified before.

3) please display the the active langage on the ocr icon. Long press on the ocr icon swipe the langage.*

4) When I press on save, app answers nothing to save even I modify a picture!
So it's difficult to understand the save feature:
-Save original picture?
-Save modified picture?
-Save for transforming into pdf? So why not have a icon 'scan pdf' in order to pdf-ise directly
-Save recognised text?

I send you several crash report of you

Best regards

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
Hello Pavel

Some problems I met and I would like to share:

1) the grips for modifying an image (crop/sale/perspective) are very small and often my finger press/click an icon (ocr/ upright- or scale/crop/perspective-down left)

2) when I modify a picture (filter or* crop or scale...) in order to enhance the success of ocr-ing text or just scan the interesting part, I apply filter, crop,...but after It's impossible to save the modified picture.

And when ocr is launched,* all the picture is scanned despite it was modified before.

3) please display the the active langage on the ocr icon. Long press on the ocr icon swipe the langage.*

-Save original picture?
-Save modified picture?
-Save for transforming into pdf? So why not have a icon 'scan pdf' in order to pdf-ise directly
-Save recognised text?

I send you several crash report of you

Best regards

Thanks for sharing, Philippe

In the same order you have asked:

It is not neccesary to press grips at all, app detects the closest grip to your finger and then you just move it as you wish. Just position your finger somewhere near the grip and try to move it. You will see that it works even though you are not pressing on the grip directly. We hope this is more convenient to user, than pressing exactly on the grip

This is strange. It works on all of our testing devices. Can you please describe the exact order of operations to reproduce this bug?

Ok, we will think about that

-Save original picture?
-Save modified picture?
-Save recognised text?

Save button in this window should just save ANY changes you have applied to the image. It appears beeing related to second problem you have mentioned. Can you please describe the exact order of operations to reproduce this bug?

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Hello Pavel

1) it's OK. It's just question of training...but it's not evident for the first time.

2) OK I understand:
a) you click on edit then
b) you can modify the picture (crop/scale/perspective) with your finger. In order to 'apply' your modifications you click one more time on the crop/scale/perspective or filter icon.
c) then you can save definitely the modified picture.

But you lose original picture! May be it will be interesting to keep original if you want to do modifications later *on the original picture.

3 ) OK. Super!

4) related to 2). I sugest : Press on save icon saves modifications or results of the moment => If you modify the picture it saves the modified picture , if you do ocr, it saves the recognised text, if you pdf-ise a picture, it save the pdf. For the original picture, I suggest that it saved by default.*

I suggest also that in the "new document" view, you can see the original picture in a small vignette (as actual) but you can access (long press /swipe) to all saved objects (modified picture/ ocr text/ pdf / jpeg) related to the vignette.

5) After OCR, the app propose directly to share the result of the ocr process ! But may be, before sharing, I want to check the result of the ocr process and correct letter / sign /word that wasn't correctly recognised. So, I suggest before sharing the result of the OCR process, that the app :
a) shows the recognised text in first,
b) allow to corrects mistakes, (==> learn feature from mistakes and correction)
c) save the results
d) and then share

Note : when you share an ocr text with some app, the app opens but the ocr text didn't paste (cf memo app on note 2 - KK 4.4.2).

6) Same suggestions with transformation in pdf or jpeg : after pdf process, the app directly propose to share the pdf / jpeg with external app. But before, I want to check if the pdf/ jpeg is OK before Sharing. I want to save the pdf / jpeg in order to use it later. (the pdf appears in the RecentPages directory). So why not to display it in the new document view of the app ?

Best regards

Last edited:

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
Hello Pavel

1) it's OK. It's just question of training...but it's not evident for the first time.

2) OK I understand:
a) you click on edit then
b) you can modify the picture (crop/scale/perspective) with your finger. In order to 'apply' your modifications you click one more time on the crop/scale/perspective or filter icon.

But you lose original picture! May be it will be interesting to keep original if you want to do modifications later *on the original picture.

3 ) OK. Super!

4) related to 2). I sugest : Press on save icon saves modifications or results of the moment => If you modify the picture it saves the modified picture , if you do ocr, it saves the recognised text, if you pdf-ise a picture, it save the pdf. For the original picture, I suggest that it saved by default.*

I suggest also that in the "new document" view, you can see the original picture in a small vignette (as actual) but you can access (long press /swipe) to all saved objects (modified picture/ ocr text/ pdf / jpeg) related to the vignette.

5) After OCR, the app propose directly to share the result of the ocr process ! But may be, before sharing, I want to check the result of the ocr process and correct letter / sign /word that wasn't correctly recognised. So, I suggest before sharing the result of the OCR process, that the app :
c) save the results
d) and then share

Note : when you share an ocr text with some app, the app opens but the ocr text didn't paste (cf memo app on note 2 - KK 4.4.2).

6) Same suggestions with transformation in pdf or jpeg : after pdf process, the app directly propose to share the pdf / jpeg with external app. But before, I want to check if the pdf/ jpeg is OK before Sharing. I want to save the pdf / jpeg in order to use it later. (the pdf appears in the RecentPages directory). So why not to display it in the new document view of the app ?

Best regards

Hi Philippe,

It is good to hear that Save button actually works as it should. Regarding your comments:

yes, when you press Save button after you have edited image the edited version will be saved and replace the original one. We think about adding a new "filter", which will revert all changes and switch the image to the original picture.

We have thought about that as well, this behaviour will be implemented in one of the next versions

c) save the results
d) and then share

Well, it is a good idea itself, but we thought that one would prefer to correct/modify text in some existing text editor. So, at the current stage of app development, we would prefer to include support for different text editors rather than coding our own. However, we will keep your suggestion in mind.

Can you give a link to the app? We will test

Actually you can open PDF for preview before you send it. Check Options and set "Open PDF" to "On".
Regarding JPG: In the main ("New document") window press on the picture icon, it will open another window where you can preview or edit image again if neccessary

Regards,
Pav

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Hi Philippe,

It is good to hear that Save button actually works as it should. Regarding your comments:

yes, when you press Save button after you have edited image the edited version will be saved and replace the original one. We think about adding a new "filter", which will revert all changes and switch the image to the original picture.

We have thought about that as well, this behaviour will be implemented in one of the next versions

Well, it is a good idea itself, but we thought that one would prefer to correct/modify text in some existing text editor. So, at the current stage of app development, we would prefer to include support for different text editors rather than coding our own. However, we will keep your suggestion in mind.

Can you give a link to the app? We will test

Actually you can open PDF for preview before you send it. Check Options and set "Open PDF" to "On".
Regarding JPG: In the main ("New document") window press on the picture icon, it will open another window where you can preview or edit image again if neccessary

Regards,
Pav

Hello Pavel,

"about adding a new "filter", which will revert all changes and switch the image to the original picture"
==>instead of "cancelling all changes", Why not just offer the possibility to cancelled sellectively the last change in order to choose the best change + a possibility to compare with the original picture in order to decide if the current change is the best chang.

"Well, it is a good idea itself, but we thought that one would prefer to correct/modify text in some existing text editor. So, at the current stage of app development, we would prefer to include support for different text editors rather than coding our own. However, we will keep your suggestion in mind. "
==> the problem is not if I can modify ocr text with embeded or internal editor but to hav possibility to check (with internal or external editor) the result before sharing !

On my device, when the OCR process ends,I have just the choice to share the results with an extrenal app like mail, gmail, MMS or SMS, and so on... So I can't check the results of the OCR process before I "share" it into a third app. In other word, I have to share the results of the OCR process, then correct the result directly into the app I have select to share the result of the OCR process.

"Can you give a link to the app? We will test" ==> memo.apk, a samsung app

best regards

Philippe

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
"about adding a new "filter", which will revert all changes and switch the image to the original picture"
==>instead of "cancelling all changes", Why not just offer the possibility to cancelled sellectively the last change in order to choose the best change + a possibility to compare with the original picture in order to decide if the current change is the best chang.

Not going deep into details, there are some technical limitations to achieve that.

"Well, it is a good idea itself, but we thought that one would prefer to correct/modify text in some existing text editor. So, at the current stage of app development, we would prefer to include support for different text editors rather than coding our own. However, we will keep your suggestion in mind. "
==> the problem is not if I can modify ocr text with embeded or internal editor but to hav possibility to check (with internal or external editor) the result before sharing !

Thats true, but all of these apps usually have 'Share text' option, dont they? Our main idea is just to allow the user to use recognised text in other apps, where he/she can edit it and then share.

We are working on a new update already, i'll post a message once it is out :)

Regards,
Pav

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Suggestions for new features for a scan app

I would like to share with you some suggestions:

1) Until the bug isn't solved: when download langage pack, dysplay a short message "wait until the langage pack is really installed"

2) after "ocr " ing a text : the recognised text should be saved "as a note/comment" with the scanned text. Then I could :
-paste the recognised text into other app like office app,
-share quickly with an other app: mail, message, note...

What so you think about these?

best regards

Last edited:

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
1) Until the bug isn't solved: when download langage pack, dysplay a short message "wait until the langage pack is really installed"

I do agree, this should be improved

2) after "ocr " ing a text : the recognised text should be saved "as a note/comment" with the scanned text. Then I could :
-paste the recognised text into other app like office app,
-share quickly with an other app: mail, message, note...

I think it makes sense to save recognized text and to associate it with the image.
We are currently working on the update to include some improvements discussed above. There is lots of work, plaease understand that its challenging to add new features immediately. However let me reassure you once again that we always keep suggestions from our users in mind and are constantly working to make the app better

Regards,
Pavel

GRYMALA

May 5, 2014
Update to 1.1.12

Hi Guys!

New version is out :) Whats new:
1) New filter button has been added which allows to revert changes
2) Interface improvements: long click on OCR button to switch language, less ads
3) Minor bug fixes

phvo

Sep 24, 2011
Hello Pavel

I understand that there is a lot of work and I will be patient and wait for new version.

I have an other suggestions :

3) sometimes, ocr-ed text are scaned from news magazine.* But the article presents the text in 1 or 2 or 3 column. I think that it will be a great feature in ocr - ing a text if it was possible to set the number of column corresponding to the scaned article.

4) possibility to recognised text from a pdf.

5) to be able to scan code bar or qr code...

6) add a feature to scan and recognised quickly mail address, mail, phone number., url, ...from visit card, poster, advertising, ...

I really appreciate your attention to my suggestions.

Best regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys! Let us introduce our new Android app PDF Scanner.

PDF Scannner allows to scan docs with your phone camera, edit image, recognise text with OCR, convert to multipage PDF, save and share via appropriate app.

D2UPlQWXiijCyUPYgMzp_IVajFJX0smsScWRbiFJBFD-PrlPnsW9HP_GL1EMNH43EQc=h310
    6TmI3VtCDBykGHvQmkzGezRbQ3AW0E4PevXQwjHGpX_ScvsdE_GXnqmbtV23wqjlh_E=h310
    dh82oKG69zA2jH_Ya4f9ZoTuxaJwpS5M5GoktfxeNQMONaDjo35GbJlAezUaN3EAXTI=h310
    eh3-7W4Mvig7bXQs_ZOU1LZERee0IWMHNxTHj-noJQfy3f4e_RAGIr1WgzF5x0R4_OM=h310
    WzUw5HiEuf0imULPXEtKSWhl160tT9_Qio_HMV0-PUy0KP6ECl9BJCDM-vd74Jr7C15V=h310

Features

* Convert your docs into PDF format

Use your phone camera to scan all kinds of paper documents, ranging from receipts, notes, invoices, business cards to contracts, whiteboard discussions, certificates, etc.

* Efficient image processing

Smart doc detection algorithm, OCR text recognition, perspective correction, rectangular trim, aspect ratio adjustment, image enhancing controls – all in one window for your convenience. This makes scanning process both easy and efficient, especially for batch processing mode.

* Text recognition, OCR

Built-in OCR system to recognise and extract text from images. All processing is performed locally right on users device, what keeps sensitive data contained and secure. You can share recognized text to any app installed on your device to create a new email, sms, translate to other languages with Google Translate (for instance), etc.

*Share PDF/JPEG Files

Convert images to premium quality PDF and Upload documents to cloud storage services: dropbox, gdocs, evernote, use mail services, bluetooth or facebook, twitter, skype, etc. with no limits and absolutely free

What makes our scanner app different from others:

- all image processing in one window, no need to switch between separate screens during image editing
    - aspect ratio control feature. You can shrink/stretch image as necessary
    - Built-in OCR system (50 languages supported). All processing is performed locally right on users device, what keeps sensitive data contained and secure
    - both portrait and landscape UI are supported for better user experience
    - no limits on number of documents, pages, etc.

Installation instructions

Permissions:
    - Access Network State, Internet, Bluetooth: needed to share documents
    - Write External Storage, Test access to protected storage: needed to save documents to your device

Downloads

Available on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grymala.photoscannerpdftrial

The free version has all features unlocked, however scanned documents are generated with watermark, plus there is a limit for OCR credits. You can upgrade to PRO version at any time to remove watermarks, ad banners and lift OCR limitations.

XDA:DevDB Information
    PDF Scanner FREE + OCR Plugin, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    GRYMALA

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1.10
    Stable Release Date: 2014-05-11

Created 2014-05-06
    Last Updated 2014-05-22