T-Mobile HTC One M8 --> GPE

Search This thread

Suhas_v

Jul 30, 2011
Newark
Has anyone tried flashing the GPE ROM.. I am a noob with HTC.. Been a Samsung user for years..
What is ruu?
What is S-off?
Is there anything like Knox counter on HTC that should be considered a risk?
Can anyone point me to the directions on converting Tmo M8 to GPE M8

Thanks in advance..

Sent from my HTC One M8 from Tapatalk Pro

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Has anyone tried flashing the GPE ROM.. I am a noob with HTC.. Been a Samsung user for years..
What is ruu?
What is S-off?

Thanks in advance..

You can flash GPE roms just fine without converting. I am currently using a GPE rom myself and have not converted. I would only convert if you want the latest google updates. You probably need to remain as Stock GPE for those also. Also, once you convert to GPE, you cannot flash sense roms or go back to sense until a sense RUU is released. As of now there are none.

RUU stands for ROM Update Utility. Essentially it overwrites your all system partitions with stock partition files including hboot, recovery, radio, etc and software or ROM.

S-OFF stands for Security OFF. It disables security checks for things like CID (carrier identification) and allows you easier access to overwriting certain system partitions. This is both good and bad since, if you don't know what you are doing, or don't read/research enough before overwriting some partitions, you could end up with a brick, however, at the same time, there have been occasions where S-OFF prevents bricking as sometimes, HTC's own RUU's do not finalize checks until after flashing or wiping partitons, leaving you with a brick.

I think my information is pretty accurate, but anyone should feel free to add on if I am wrong about something or am lacking in some details.

Reactions: Suhas_v

Suhas_v

Jul 30, 2011
Newark
You can flash GPE roms just fine without converting. I am currently using a GPE rom myself and have not converted. I would only convert if you want the latest google updates. You probably need to remain as Stock GPE for those also. Also, once you convert to GPE, you cannot flash sense roms or go back to sense until a sense RUU is released. As of now there are none.

Bear with my ignorance my friend..Thanks for the info.. Does that mean a stock rooted gpe will still get OTAs?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Bear with my ignorance my friend..Thanks for the info.. Does that mean a stock rooted gpe will still get OTAs?

OTAs rely on stock recovery so you could use a custom recovery to root and then flash back stock recovery to receive OTAs. In short, Yes, you could/would still get OTAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suhas_v

Suhas_v

Jul 30, 2011
Newark
Wonderful.. Thank you guys.. Has anyone tried this on T-Mobile M8?

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
I figured I should also post that typically an RUU cannot flash older versions.. or backwards.. You can only flash the same version or later. IE: You cannot flash backwards to version 2.0 if on version 3.0. If on Version 3.0 You can flash 3.0 and higher. However, with S-OFF it is possible to flash older RUUs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is ruu?
    What is S-off?

Thanks in advance..

RUU stands for ROM Update Utility. Essentially it overwrites your all system partitions with stock partition files including hboot, recovery, radio, etc and software or ROM.

S-OFF stands for Security OFF. It disables security checks for things like CID (carrier identification) and allows you easier access to overwriting certain system partitions. This is both good and bad since, if you don't know what you are doing, or don't read/research enough before overwriting some partitions, you could end up with a brick, however, at the same time, there have been occasions where S-OFF prevents bricking as sometimes, HTC's own RUU's do not finalize checks until after flashing or wiping partitons, leaving you with a brick.

I think my information is pretty accurate, but anyone should feel free to add on if I am wrong about something or am lacking in some details.

OTAs rely on stock recovery so you could use a custom recovery to root and then flash back stock recovery to receive OTAs. In short, Yes, you could/would still get OTAs.
    I could be wrong but i believe that yes even with the rooted option you will still receive OTAs. Now if you have custom recovery then you will have to flash gpe recovery to take the OTA. Here's a link to the conversion thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708589