Beware - Cheap eBay cases

Search This thread

CheapGuy

Sep 5, 2011
Beware of the cheap eBay cases. I've tried several styles and one has basically ruined the painted trim on one of our NTs. Ironically the cheaper one with the elastic straps causes the least amount (no) damage while the ones with the "leather" frame-type holder has rubbed off or damaged the trim on another of our NTs. The elastic straps also do a better job of holding the NT since the "leather" trim ones has begun to stretch and allow the tablet to slide around.

Jan 21, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I got a Moko Folio case off amazon that did something similar. It put dyed black dots all over where the felt-ish backing touched the nook. My fix was to put a skinomi on so the dots would not get worse but I am still disappointed.

ShinnAsuka

Dec 9, 2011
yea i bought one of those cheap cases on ebay for like 18 bucks. i am starting to see some leather stains on my NT... any ideas on how to get rid of them? i already tried rubbing alcohol which didn't work, my next idea is to use vinegar...

HMG10

Nov 29, 2011
yea i bought one of those cheap cases on ebay for like 18 bucks. i am starting to see some leather stains on my NT... any ideas on how to get rid of them? i already tried rubbing alcohol which didn't work, my next idea is to use vinegar...

I bought a cheap silicone sleeve and cheap neoprene soft case. I'm going to try them out tonight and update my thread afterwards as to how they work.

CheapGuy

Sep 5, 2011
Could you post a pictures?

I'm hoping it's just the color from the cover but I tried to clean it off and it didn't work.

Sorry it took so long, but here are the pics - excuse the dirty screen - seems like the screen savers smear up more that the unprotected screen:

Attachments

• IMG_7412.jpg
    IMG_7412.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_7417.jpg
    IMG_7417.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_7423.jpg
    IMG_7423.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 578

zmobie

Nov 30, 2011

You can try oxalic acid containing products ("Barkeeper's Friend") and if that doesn't work it's pretty permanent. It's stronger than vinegar but it's the same idea; it should be safe on plastics. This is assuming it IS a stain and not rubbed off (the above looks rubbed off).

Reactions: phon00b

phon00b

Aug 21, 2011
I'm hoping it's just the color from the cover but I tried to clean it off and it didn't work.

Sorry it took so long, but here are the pics - excuse the dirty screen - seems like the screen savers smear up more that the unprotected screen:

I bought the same case in those pics and took the same cornholing . I tried all kinds of stuff to clean it and stopped just short of acetone. Right now my nt has a Skinomi skin on it, but when that eventually gets scuffed up and removed, I'll try that barkeeper's friend suggestion.

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

Nook owner

Jan 19, 2012
The same thing happened to me.

I bought cheap "leather" case from ebay. After I noticed this thread I checked my Nook and it has these marks :(
It is a first time a have such issues with cheap ebay cases.
It looks like it is a stain not a rubbing off of nook plastic.
Probably it is a black dye from fake suede used as liner migrated to the nook plastic.
Plastic used in Nook definitely is a factor.
I wish I noticed this thread before I used the case. I ordered new one from BN.
I would greatly appreciate if somebody shares a way to remove these marks.

ntxda

Jan 20, 2012
try the speck fitfolio, picked mine up from amazon. works pretty good, doesn't cover the front and it has a soft suede backing so no problems with scuffs

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Has anyone tried those types of cases that have fabric (rather leather/"suede") inner backing?

Sw339

Feb 16, 2012
Let us know if they do come off. I have noticed some slight staining on mine and am probably going to buy a more fabric based case.

TBH it doesn't bother me too much since I mine is almost always in a case. I get nervous when it's not.

fjhuerta

Dec 24, 2010
I got my case (actually, one of those things that make your tablet look like a book) from B&N for $19 on sale. It works perfectly and gets a lot of compliments. I wouldn't get those cheap eBay ones...

News flash: Cheap chinese knock offs causing damage. News at 11.

Judging from the pics it looks more like rub off then residue. But knowing they used the lowest grade materials I wouldn't it put the idea of cheap ink soaking into the rubber plastic of the NT case either. Good call on the bartenders friend. That stuff has saved me in the past. As has the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I would not use goo gone though. I've had that crap destroy plastics in the past.

I do hope you guys are able to get your nooks looking good again. I know I love keeping mine in pristine condition and would be pretty upset if something bad happened to mar it's surfaces.

Feb 22, 2011
I didnt buy the cheap leather chinese case from ebay becuase it was cheap, I liked it cuz it had the ability to fold into a stand. The barnes cases dont have that, but I severely regret not having bought one now.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Reactions: The Last Master
Feb 22, 2011
You should have searched a little more. At $40 and free shipping after a promo code, this was worth every penny.

I like it, but its bulky looking, I like cases that don't add bulk.

Ill probably get the black silicone case from B&N, since its the only one I like that covers up the scuffs left by the ****ty ebay case. Im willing to try drops of acetone with cotton swabs, worst case scenario, ill pull the thing apart, and paint the bezel.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
I like it, but its bulky looking, I like cases that don't add bulk.

Ill probably get the black silicone case from B&N, since its the only one I like that covers up the scuffs left by the ****ty ebay case. Im willing to try drops of acetone with cotton swabs, worst case scenario, ill pull the thing apart, and paint the bezel.
It's not actually that bulky. The covers are really thin and are made of an almost rubber material. The flaps fold back and are held together by magnets inside.

It was a really good idea from Barnes and Noble if you ask me. Perfect for working out of my e-book textbooks during class.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can try oxalic acid containing products ("Barkeeper's Friend") and if that doesn't work it's pretty permanent. It's stronger than vinegar but it's the same idea; it should be safe on plastics. This is assuming it IS a stain and not rubbed off (the above looks rubbed off).
    I didnt buy the cheap leather chinese case from ebay becuase it was cheap, I liked it cuz it had the ability to fold into a stand. The barnes cases dont have that, but I severely regret not having bought one now.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/tasume-in-carbon/22193460

You should have searched a little more. At $40 and free shipping after a promo code, this was worth every penny.