[Tutorial] Upgrade your HTC HD7 memory to 32 GB

Search This thread

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
Hi,

I've got an asain verion HD7 with 16gb card. The other day it came up saying no card inserted or card damaged. Took card out using this sticky and its def not working, but can't find a replacement card the sticky says I need a sdsdq-032gb-j35, I found on amazon jp but they wont post abroad. Bought a sdsdq-032gb-bulk class 4 but wasn't recognised in phone and also brought a sdsdqm-032gb-b35a and this didn't work. HTC wont tell me the codes for the card and they want £100+ as its not covered under the warranty.
Can anyone tell me where I can get a card from or if there is a way of getting one of the cards I have brought to work. Appreciate any help on this, thanks.

Get any SanDisk card you can get your hands on from a seller with a good return policy. If it works, good, if it doesn't or your phone performs poorly, return it and ask for a replacement. All recently manufactured cards should work just fine though...

tonictone

May 3, 2009
memory card pact up can't find replacement

Reply to Dorianmuthig

Is it best to stick to a 16gb as this is the stock size or can I go for 32gb. So the code of the card doesn't matter? its when it was manufactured that counts - is that correct? also does it have to be a class 4 as the old card or can it be any class or is a certain class works better. Is there a code that indicates a new manufactured card. I have already brought 2 so I will see if they will let me return them. Thanks for the quick reply.

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
Reply to Dorianmuthig

Is it best to stick to a 16gb as this is the stock size or can I go for 32gb. So the code of the card doesn't matter? its when it was manufactured that counts - is that correct? also does it have to be a class 4 as the old card or can it be any class or is a certain class works better. Is there a code that indicates a new manufactured card. I have already brought 2 so I will see if they will let me return them. Thanks for the quick reply.

No, the code doesn't matter anymore as it only identifies the distribution region. Since the SanDisk/Toshiba fabrication plants are in Japan they usually get newly produced chips first. Some of the then new class 4 cards were marked as class 2 and sent to Europe, then fabrication temporarily switched to 8K NAND which was also used in SD cards (those cards aren't compatible) and everything was marked class 4, then as all NAND manufacturers realized the performance impact of 8K NAND in current commonly 4K flash controller applications they switched back to the "more expensive" 4K fabrication layouts and cards got to class 6 (still sold as class 4), recent cards are sold and marked as class 6, but since I never tested those, I cannot tell you if those work reliably, but they should.
In theory any "compatible" (e.g. fast enough) microSD or microSDHC (but not microSDXC) cards should work, if it is 4K NAND with 64K control block alignment (256K and 512K can also work, but 1024K usually doesn't).

Simply bench the card you got in a PC using CrystalDiskMark 3 and use the 4000MB setting and post what type of card you got plus the benchmark results in this thread (this is no definitive test to assess if a card will work, but you can eliminate cards that would be too slow).

tonictone

May 3, 2009
No, the code doesn't matter anymore as it only identifies the distribution region. Since the SanDisk/Toshiba fabrication plants are in Japan they usually get newly produced chips first. Some of the then new class 4 cards were marked as class 2 and sent to Europe, then fabrication temporarily switched to 8K NAND which was also used in SD cards (those cards aren't compatible) and everything was marked class 4, then as all NAND manufacturers realized the performance impact of 8K NAND in current commonly 4K flash controller applications they switched back to the "more expensive" 4K fabrication layouts and cards got to class 6 (still sold as class 4), recent cards are sold and marked as class 6, but since I never tested those, I cannot tell you if those work reliably, but they should.
In theory any "compatible" (e.g. fast enough) microSD or microSDHC (but not microSDXC) cards should work, if it is 4K NAND with 64K control block alignment (256K and 512K can also work, but 1024K usually doesn't).

Simply bench the card you got in a PC using CrystalDiskMark 3 and use the 4000MB setting and post what type of card you got plus the benchmark results in this thread (this is no definitive test to assess if a card will work, but you can eliminate cards that would be too slow).
Ran the test on the 2 cards I brought and results are below,

This card was brought from Ebay serial SDSDQM-032G-B35N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 16.879 MB/s
Sequential Write : 4.313 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 16.466 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 0.748 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.124 MB/s [ 518.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.525 MB/s [ 128.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.899 MB/s [ 463.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.209 MB/s [ 295.2 IOPS]

Test : 4000 MB [F: 0.0% (0.0/29.7 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2012/05/03 15:40:25
OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x86)

2nd card brought from MemoryC.com serial SQSQ-032G-BULK

Sequential Read : 17.201 MB/s
Sequential Write : 4.332 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 17.009 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 0.548 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.412 MB/s [ 588.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.210 MB/s [ 51.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.371 MB/s [ 578.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.269 MB/s [ 309.9 IOPS]

Date : 2012/05/03 17:43:42

I have had a look would a class 10 card be best to go for as it has a higher read/write than a 2 or 4, also would the red and grey cards work they say they are SDHC1 is this compatible??

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
Ran the test on the 2 cards I brought and results are below,

This card was brought from Ebay serial SDSDQM-032G-B35N

Sequential Read : 16.879 MB/s
Sequential Write : 4.313 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 16.466 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 0.748 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.124 MB/s [ 518.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.525 MB/s [ 128.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.899 MB/s [ 463.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.209 MB/s [ 295.2 IOPS]

Date : 2012/05/03 15:40:25

2nd card brought from MemoryC.com serial SQSQ-032G-BULK

Sequential Read : 17.201 MB/s
Sequential Write : 4.332 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 17.009 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 0.548 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.412 MB/s [ 588.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.210 MB/s [ 51.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.371 MB/s [ 578.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.269 MB/s [ 309.9 IOPS]

Date : 2012/05/03 17:43:42

I have had a look would a class 10 card be best to go for as it has a higher read/write than a 2 or 4, also would the red and grey cards work they say they are SDHC1 is this compatible??

The first one could work, but since the 512K random writes aren't the same as the sequential writes the card likely has 1024K or 2048K control blocks which can cause performance problems with Windows Phone. The second card is not suitable, because the 4K random writes appear inconsistent, the card may work, but if it does, you will get poor application performance and a slow phone.

tonictone

May 3, 2009
Just to let you know - neither of these cards worked in the phone thay both came back with 0.0gb in the available memory.

Just ordered a class 10 card which I'm hoping is a newer version of the card as the read/write rates are higher - will post the crystal disk results when I get the card.

djadry

Jul 1, 2011
Varese
www.wp7mods.it
Hi everyone. I put in my HD7 a new SanDisk 16 gb MicroSD card.

I formatted it on startup and all worked fine... till I rebooted the phone. From that moment the phone says the card doesn't work...

What to do? :rolleyes:

davalav

Feb 16, 2012
Wait.. Let me get this right.

You stated at the start of the thread, that the Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 class 2 OR class 4 work, as I am in the UK, the asain market card is irrelevent.

Now your saying only class 2 is compatable? I may be having difficulty understanding you, but I am a little confused.

Regards,

dorianmuthig

Mar 21, 2010
Estenfeld
www.dorianmuthig.com
Wait.. Let me get this right.

You stated at the start of the thread, that the Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 class 2 OR class 4 work, as I am in the UK, the asain market card is irrelevent.

Now your saying only class 2 is compatable? I may be having difficulty understanding you, but I am a little confused.

Regards,

If a card works depends on parameters based on which it was manufactured. The model number is no longer relevant as SanDisk/Toshiba fabs have all moved on to newer processes, that are either better than all previous ones or completely incompatible.
Here's what doesn't work with first generation Windows Phones like the HTC HD7 or the Samsung Focus:
  • 8KB sector NAND (this is used to save wafer space, because it reduces addressing circuitry)
  • 256 sector (or higher) block NAND (blocks are the internal NAND address channels inside the flash chip control processor for simultaneous access and determine sequential R/W or NCQ write speeds)
  • SDXC cards (these will work in the future, there is some new HD7 and HD7S hardware batch now, that ships with a newer bootloader which supports them, it is likely this same newer SPL will be part of the HTC vendor update set, when Windows Phone 7.8 is released)
  • Class 10 and higher cards (High Speed Bus I/F)
  • UHS cards (UHS-I Bus I/F)

The only thing you can do, is buy and test a card (class 2,4 or 6), and return it if it doesn't work. You can exclude a lot of cards prematurely by running a benchmark like CrystalDiskMark 3.

On all second generation and newer phones, the internal flash is a soldered on SD/MMC/SDIO NAND chip and cannot be replaced.

Last edited:

davalav

Feb 16, 2012
Okay... Thanks.

I'll purchase a card today and see what works. Can you post the benching link up please so I can test my card.

Regards,

hooutoo

Apr 17, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Password Protected

A buddy of mine has a password protect Hd7, his daughter's phone actually and since she got a new phone she can't remember the password to the HD7. I want to buy and upgrade to 32gb.

I believe the password that you type in to get into the phone is actually specific to the card and not to WP7. In other words if I just put a new correct model 32gb sdcard the phone will start up with a hard reset thereby formatting the new card and not require the password to get into the phone.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

upgrade my HTC HD7 running Deepshining rom to 32gb memory

Hi.. I'm running the Deepshining rom on my HTC HD7 and I'm wanting to upgrade my memory to the 32gb. If I do, Will this effect my custom rom in anyway? I believe the rom is stored on the OS internal 512 memory. Any suggestion or answers very much appreciated!

tonictone

May 3, 2009
Finally got a card that works

After buying 5 cards finally got one that works in my HD7 asian version. It was a Sandisk Class 6 32gb micro card the ultra type (grey and red) serial number SDSDQY-032G-U46A, I will try and get a CrystalDisk rating done but my son's got the phone now so hard to get back for half hour.

Reactions: onukomer

HR1979

May 25, 2012
Could an SD Upgrade Leads to Roaming issues?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I recently replaced the 16gb SD card in my unlocked HD7 with a 32gb class 4 scandisk card
- It worked perfectly for 4 days while I was in the UK
- Then I went on holiday to Morocco and the phone kept crashing and restarting
-Sometimes after restarting the I would get the memory card error page, but not every time (or even most times)
-Now I'm back in the UK the phone is working perfectly again
-I have used the phone to roam in the past (but not in Morocco) before I changed the SD card with no problems
-The odd thing is, if I put the phone in Airplane Mode there was no problem, I could then activate location, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi without a problem. But if I took it out of plane mode and allowed it to connect to the cell network it restarted again.
- I don't know if its relevant at all, but when I first turned the phone on in Morocco and it updated the time it was an hour out.

I suppose what I'm asking is if anyone knows if this is a problem caused because of the SD card changed or if it would have happened anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

syedabdullah

Apr 2, 2010
Upgraded to 64GB on my HTC HD7!

Excellent Tutorial.

I followed your instructions and installed a 64GB MicroSD XC card in my HTC HD7 and it's working perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: sorry for my english... :D
    French version avalaible here : http://www.monsmartphone.net/gonfler-son-htc-hd7-a-32-go-t1036.html

If you think your HTC HD7 is too short with his 8 GB memory, here is a detailed tutorial on how to give it a little boost to 32 GB ! Here is, step by step, how to do it. You can clic on photos to get them in high res...

WARNING : this tutorial needs you to open your smartphone completely, and may unvalidate your warranty. If you upgrade your HD7, you do it at your own risk !!

Read this tutorial entirely before begining anything.

!!! This memory change will completely erase the content of your phone. Backup it before !!

You will need the following tools :
    - A HTC HD7 (yeah, easy...)
    - A Sandisk MicroSD 32 GB Card : Warning !! Ony some references are compatible. Check the compatibility list at the end of this tutorial.
    - A Torx screwdriver - Size : 0.4
    - A little plastic card, like a fidelity card (little size)
    - Tweezers
    - A piece of paper

Remove the battery cover, the battery itself, and you SIM card :

Now, you need to remove the bottom cover. To do this, insert the plastic card inside, and pull upside gently. It will be a little hard, just do it quietly until it "clics". Do the same on the other side, and finish removing the cover :

Take the screwdriver. At minimum, you will need to remove the 3 screws marked by red arrows. Personaly, I remove the 3 screws marked by the green arrows too for more confort. One of the screws is hidden by a VOID sticker (which unvalidates the warranty if you remove it). Either you don't remove this sticker, the other black screws will scratched by the screwdriver, and you will lose warranty in all cases.

Now, pull the plastic framework upside with your finger, to get access to the MicroSD card reader :

The MicroSD card is protected by a "metallic" sticker. Unstick it, and tear it below the plastic framework. You cannot remove it completely :

If you don't want to be annoyed by this sticker, place your piece of paper on it. Now push the memory card in his reader with the tweezers : you will here a clic. Release, the card will be ejected :

Take the MicroSD card with the tweezers, and remove it :

There you are. Now insert your brand new memory card, and reassemble your phone following the previous steps.

Once your phone is reassembled, put your SIM card, the battery, and close the cover.
    To turn it on, push the two volume buttons, and keep them pushed while pressing the Power button :

Keep the volume buttons pressed until you see this message :

Press the Down Volume button to confirm the Hard reset :

Press again the Down Volume button to restart the phone. Follow the Windows Phone configuration wizard, then reboot your phone again (just a simple reboot).
    And "voilà" ! A HTC HD7 with full memory !!! :D

Updated on 28th April 2011 :
    Compatible 32GB card :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-J35 (Class 4 - Asian market)
    - Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 (Class 2 or Class 4)

Avoid these references :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-E11M (Class 2 or 4)
    I putting money on, that this voids your warranty.

Just keep the 16gb card spare, put it back in if it needs to go back for warranty, simple.
    Hello,

Where did you purchase your sd card fom ?

Struggling to find a decent dealer in France for a Sandisk 32 Go =(

I bought mine from this dealer : http://shop.ebay.fr/labayatxi/m.html
    But it seems he does not have cards anymore. Maybe you should ask him if he can get new cards ? I bought it 50€, and it had been sent very quickly (I received it the day after my order).
    Of course it does void it...maybe I should add "steel balls" in the necessary tools list ? :D
    Wow...although I don't really feel like doing this, its amazing.

:eek::eek::eek: