How to root S-Off HTC Desire S

Search This thread

ronak47

For anyone that has had difficulty rooting the HTC Desire S.

Having had my HTC Desire S made S-Off by Androf ( Root internet cafe on Edgware Rd London ) I noticed that there are a few methods to root the DS.

Most of which are quite complicated but alas I managed to find a simple method.

The Gingerbreak 1.20 APK manages to root any S-Off DS quickly and easily, simply download the app directly to the phone or download and transfer to the phone. Once that has been done simply install the APK file onto the phone, once that is done simply run the app and follow the instructions and then your phone should say something along the lines of there was a mistake and try a manual reboot to check if Superuser is installed.

For a few people such as myself you may notice that once you run the Gingerbreak APK the phone reboots itself and doesn't work, if this happens to you then simply format your SD card and remount it and try again and "voila" you should have superuser installed and root access on the DS.

Hope this helps anyone that may have encountered the same problems as me.

"Knowledge is Power"

Ron

Contact Telephone number for Root internet Cafe Edgware Road - 0207 262 6118

Last edited:

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I mean how do I know th phone is rooted? Superuser installed?
Think I need to read around this a bit more, feeling very thick, haha.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Don't fear! I believe that I'm the same boat as you, also coming from a TOPAZ and WM65, so any daft question feel happy to ask me (not that I'll be able to answer them!) I've had a sharp learning curve over the last 6weeks and my first Android device!

ronak47

There are a few ways of knowing if you have route access.

First thing to check is if you have superuser access, if you can't find that out then simply go to the market and download an app called route check and that will tell you if you are rooted.

Hope this helps.

Ron

chris5s

Ok, thanks guys. Couldn't find route checker but got something similar that told me I don't have SU rights - this apk installed fine for me tho.

Anyway, think I'll have a scout around and see what I'm actually trying to do and if I need to!

Thanks again

hasan1969

Feb 7, 2011
Where to download Gingerbreak 1.20 APK

I need this Gingerbreak 1.20 APK to root my HTC Desire S with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Where to download this Gingerbreak 1.20 APK? Please attach the file or the url....

Reactions: chesterr

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
Reactions: chesterr

baqai

Jun 11, 2011
I was about to post a thread asking the same question. I have a SOFF phone and wanted to know how to root it without getting into trouble.

Edit: successfully rooted my phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

Last edited:

chris5s

My understanding is that rooting an S-on phone, if possible, only achieves a temp root that is lost on reboot. S-Off at present is only possible with xtc clip (hardware device) ( =lots of money). Software method is likely coming soon (ish) via alpharev team.
Suggest googling xtc and/or alpharev.
Peace

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

kikukiks

Sep 26, 2010
Waiting

When i run my GingerBreak and choose Root device, it says it's running the exploit and this may take a few minutes. I have waited 6 minutes and nothing happened. Followed your instructions but it seems that it's rooting forever.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
When i run my GingerBreak and choose Root device, it says it's running the exploit and this may take a few minutes. I have waited 6 minutes and nothing happened. Followed your instructions but it seems that it's rooting forever.

Can you please provide some additional information about your device.

Your ROM version, HBOOT version, have you made the phone S-OFF? etc

then we'll probably be able to help

iliasker

Aug 11, 2011
Hello gyies i am triyng for 3 days to s-off my phone with revolutionary tool and it doesnt work i tried windows and linux.... Please help....

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
Hello gyies i am triyng for 3 days to s-off my phone with revolutionary tool and it doesnt work i tried windows and linux.... Please help....

For us even to try to assist you must give us more....

For a start what HBOOT & ROM version has your phone?

What errors are you getting, at what point it is failing? screen dumps would be useful ...

Reactions: iliasker

iliasker

Aug 11, 2011
My hboot is is 0.98.0002 by linux it doesent work at all.. on windows i make all the instruktions exsaktly and it doesent worj there eather.... kernelversion 2.6.35.10-g2ee27f5 when i am in methode 2 it says failed to get root... i folowed the instructions carefully...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For anyone that has had difficulty rooting the HTC Desire S.

Having had my HTC Desire S made S-Off by Androf ( Root internet cafe on Edgware Rd London ) I noticed that there are a few methods to root the DS.

Most of which are quite complicated but alas I managed to find a simple method.

The Gingerbreak 1.20 APK manages to root any S-Off DS quickly and easily, simply download the app directly to the phone or download and transfer to the phone. Once that has been done simply install the APK file onto the phone, once that is done simply run the app and follow the instructions and then your phone should say something along the lines of there was a mistake and try a manual reboot to check if Superuser is installed.

For a few people such as myself you may notice that once you run the Gingerbreak APK the phone reboots itself and doesn't work, if this happens to you then simply format your SD card and remount it and try again and "voila" you should have superuser installed and root access on the DS.

Hope this helps anyone that may have encountered the same problems as me.

"Knowledge is Power"

Ron

Contact Telephone number for Root internet Cafe Edgware Road - 0207 262 6118
    Where to download Gingerbreak 1.20 APK

I need this Gingerbreak 1.20 APK to root my HTC Desire S with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Where to download this Gingerbreak 1.20 APK? Please attach the file or the url....

You haven't looked very hard...

Its the first sticky thread in the Dev section of this forum.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1045118

You must be S-OFF to use it though.

For us even to try to assist you must give us more....

For a start what HBOOT & ROM version has your phone?

What errors are you getting, at what point it is failing? screen dumps would be useful ...
    My hboot is is 0.98.0002 by linux it doesent work at all.. on windows i make all the instruktions exsaktly and it doesent worj there eather....

I'm assuming that you've rebooted your device since trying and have checked the status of it's HBOOT for S-ON/S-OFF??

I believe tha this can be done by following the guide that you'll find within this thread

Look for the section entitled How To: S-Off your device with Revolutionary: S-OFF & Recovery Tool where you find comments

NOTE: For HBOOT 0.98.0002, please use this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1194488

If you have done this, then please provide any output that you receive....capture screen if possible.

Edit: corrected mistake