[DEV] CM10 on ArchosG9

Search This thread

Quallenauge

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 10, 2012
If someone like to want try out basic running JellyBeans on his archos g9 device you can use my build.
Many things like camera, or accelerated video decoding/encoding doesn't work, also the sdcard access is not working (using vold binary from stock rom was not successful)!
(= Not for endusers, but for devs who are interested ;) )

Working is:
* Wifi
* Audio
* GPS
* Graphics ( :) )

File-Image:
http://www.4shared.com/file/168Z262u/archosext4updatetar.html

Needed kernel zImage:
http://www.4shared.com/file/_yBZF1D_/zImage.html

Many thanks to JackpotClavin for your porting guide on CM9
(which was very helpful to start understanding how customized building works),
trevd for setup a CM10 repo which I used to start from and for developing 3G support on 4.0.4 and 4.1.1,
omegaRED7 for his support on 3G,
and last but not least: surdu_petru for his excellent work on modding and developing cool images for the archos device!!!

If you want to start hacking on this, use the following interesting repos as start:
Trevd's developer repo for the 3G stick:
https://github.com/trevd/huaweigeneric-ril

My CM10 config files:
https://github.com/Quallenauge/cm10-archos-g9

A note for the kernel:
Customized kernel is needed, because it provides the IPV6 mangle support, which is needed by netd service.

For me, the video acceleration is the most important thing, but due closed drivers and only a little understanding of the topic, I feel that I'm not able to solve this problem.

trevd

Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Hi.

I was about to start looking into the sdcard issue..... Then my sdcard slot decided to fail, I think the spring has gone, I'll "Jaff" it in with some Rilza Card later on. ;) I'll take heart that at least my device is failing one component at a time and not all at once.. :laugh:

With regards hardware, have you had a look around at the open source stuff at OmapMedia.org, I'm just cloning their android repo now and also linaro have done a lot of work in open sourcing and optimizing some of the TI Omap stuff..... They're next on my repo sync :)

I also think Scholberts' hardware thread may help as a good reference.

There's other stuff, lots of other stuff but I think having a go at the hardware seems lib a good starter for ten.
:D
Hack On!

Reactions: @lber

Quallenauge

May 10, 2012
Hi.
With regards hardware, have you had a look around at the open source stuff at OmapMedia.org, I'm just cloning their android repo now and also linaro have done a lot of work in open sourcing and optimizing some of the TI Omap stuff..... They're next on my repo sync :)

With some luck, we can use the following:
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/hardware/ti/omap4xxx.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/p-ics-mr1-release

Maybe we must patch the archos kernel for that....

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
I've been trying to get this to boot today, I'm using the multiboot initramfs and your zImage, but I'm stuck at a black screen. Should I be using the latest stock one?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Stock 4.0.7 initramfs is stuck at ARCHOS splash screen, not looping (as in there being no ext4 file) but just stuck

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
i use the initramfs.cpio.lzo of surdru

when i lauch the SDE, i view the CM9 animation

How long does the animation the first time ?

I use the official SDE not the multiboot

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk

Sounds to me like you forgot to wipe. Get adb open and run these commands:
adb shell rm -r -f /data/*
adb push archos.ext4.update /data/local/archos.ext4
If you have an .aos image installed alongside it:

Wait for $ to reappear (or the path if you're using Windoze) and then power off the device by holding power for 10 seconds
Boot into recovery and select Developer Edition

If you don't:

adb reboot

Then it will boot, or at least it did for me

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Screenshots from me:
Nova Launcher as homescreen (stock one is c**p)
attachment.php

Proof of version:
Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-42.jpg

WiFi works :D
Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-52.jpg

Videos are working with VPlayer using its armv7 software codecs: (here playing Big Buck Bunny streaming as an mp4 file)
Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-04-15.jpg

Music playing using Google Play Music and their streaming service (wrong album art though :p)
Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-07-00.jpg

Showing the Jelly bean notification expansions with Google Play Music's latest version:
Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-07-23.jpg

What is good and working for me:
WiFi
Bluetooth
GPS
Music
Video via VPlayer
It's surprisingly fast, and I have possibly caused that, by setting Force GPU rendering on, disable HW overlays on and making the CPU governor to "performance", and it's smooth (butter is working?)

What's bad/annoying
Camera isn't working. Not much of an issue, but face unlock would be nice to have
External SD isn't working - causes issues with media FC and apps failing to install from Play Store (error with SD or USB storage)
Talk force closes due to camera issues

Other than that, all is good. I'll probably make a video tour from the device and possibly an installation video if people are interested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-07-23.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-07-00.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-04-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-04-29.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-04-15.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-52.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-42.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-03-17.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,963
Last edited:

julle131

Mar 24, 2011

Did you wipe the data? If not, follow the guide on aokp's topic.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

nicktastique

Oct 7, 2011
Super sweet! Just to be clear, which kernel and device tree are you using?

Screenshots from me:
Nova Launcher as homescreen (stock one is c**p)
Proof of version:

WiFi works :D

Videos are working with VPlayer using its armv7 software codecs: (here playing Big Buck Bunny streaming as an mp4 file)

Music playing using Google Play Music and their streaming service (wrong album art though :p)

Showing the Jelly bean notification expansions with Google Play Music's latest version:

What is good and working for me:
WiFi
Bluetooth
GPS
Music
Video via VPlayer
It's surprisingly fast, and I have possibly caused that, by setting Force GPU rendering on, disable HW overlays on and making the CPU governor to "performance", and it's smooth (butter is working?)

What's bad/annoying
Camera isn't working. Not much of an issue, but face unlock would be nice to have
External SD isn't working - causes issues with media FC and apps failing to install from Play Store (error with SD or USB storage)
Talk force closes due to camera issues

Other than that, all is good. I'll probably make a video tour from the device and possibly an installation video if people are interested.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
I'll put up 2 boot animations in a bit, the official CM10 one and the Nexus one. Both will be correctly sized

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Super sweet! Just to be clear, which kernel and device tree are you using?

I used both of the download links from the OP + initramfs from the rooted 4.0.7 thread, my computer is too weak for source

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

CM10 official boot animation:
Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogp9f4_yEoU&feature=related
Download: http://d-h.st/aG7
Jelly Bean Nexus Boot Animation
Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuujV6f6_w
Download: http://d-h.st/HKW

Installation:
Download the zip to the tablet
Rename it to bootanimation.zip using a file manager
Using a root file manager, copy it to /system/media/bootanimation.zip
Change its permissions to rw-r--r-- or 644
- OR -
Download it to your PC
Rename it to bootanimation.zip
adb remount
adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
adb shell chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
Sounds to me like you forgot to wipe. Get adb open and run these commands:
adb shell rm -r -f /data/*
adb push archos.ext4.update /data/local/archos.ext4
If you have an .aos image installed alongside it:

Wait for $ to reappear (or the path if you're using Windoze) and then power off the device by holding power for 10 seconds
Boot into recovery and select Developer Edition

Then it will boot, or at least it did for me

i use this method on my 101 gen9
when i reboot on Developper Edition i view the Gen9 animation for a long time

is that the tablet will be rooted ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If someone like to want try out basic running JellyBeans on his archos g9 device you can use my build.
    Many things like camera, or accelerated video decoding/encoding doesn't work, also the sdcard access is not working (using vold binary from stock rom was not successful)!
    (= Not for endusers, but for devs who are interested ;) )

Working is:
    * Wifi
    * Audio
    * GPS
    * Graphics ( :) )

File-Image:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/168Z262u/archosext4updatetar.html

Needed kernel zImage:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/_yBZF1D_/zImage.html

Many thanks to JackpotClavin for your porting guide on CM9
    (which was very helpful to start understanding how customized building works),
    trevd for setup a CM10 repo which I used to start from and for developing 3G support on 4.0.4 and 4.1.1,
    omegaRED7 for his support on 3G,
    and last but not least: surdu_petru for his excellent work on modding and developing cool images for the archos device!!!

If you want to start hacking on this, use the following interesting repos as start:
    Trevd's developer repo for the 3G stick:
    https://github.com/trevd/huaweigeneric-ril

My CM10 config files:
    https://github.com/Quallenauge/cm10-archos-g9

A note for the kernel:
    Customized kernel is needed, because it provides the IPV6 mangle support, which is needed by netd service.

For me, the video acceleration is the most important thing, but due closed drivers and only a little understanding of the topic, I feel that I'm not able to solve this problem.
    Assume the Mounting Position

Now Then,

EDIT: External Storage works using an OTG Cable on the micro usb socket

For your viewing pleasure this evening I present working sdcard mounting ( not external storage yet ). Have it :) It turned out to be not even a code change.For all of the archo's quirks their changes to the vold subsystem only add confusion and complexity rather than anything useful, like , hmm I don't know, Functionality Maybe would be a good one LOL :rolleyes: In their defense I don't think we're their intended audience.

Anyways. I'll explain the change in detail below in a bit, but for those who put the xda in xda-developers, Here's what you need to do, edit the /system/etc/vold.fstab to look like this
    Code:
    dev_mount volume_internal /mnt/storage auto /devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0 /class/block/mmcblk0
    dev_mount volume_sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1
    dev_mount volume_external /mnt/ext_storage auto /devices/platform/omap/musb-omap2430/musb-hdrc/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/ /devices/platform/omap/usbhs_omap/ehci-omap.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/
    That is all! That should give you a cool pick like the one below, obviously not with 500MB Internal Storage , but that another story.
    I also deleted all the other vold.<model>.fstab and also the fstab_nor, fstab_nand and fstab. These are not required on the sdcard models, not a clue if they are important to the HD Model.
    picture.php
    Hi !

Very cool ! You started a great job....I hope that with our dear developers you will be able to successfully finish !
    THANKS ! & Good luck !!! :good:
    mn555: what does not works in this rom? could this rom be used daily?

Ahh, I started writing this post 2 daysd ago, got sidetracked....

Not Working:
    Camera
    Graphics 3D Hardwate acceleration

Not Tested/Unsure:
    Storage Capacity Reporting on the HDD Models, This is a configuration issue, someone with an HDD Model needs to want to sort it out.
    HDMI, Simply not tested it but I think we are using the same drivers as the AOKP rom and It doesn't work on there.

Current Status:
    You need to cobble everything together from this thread to get 3G / SDCard and Google Now etc working on the original image in the first post.I suppose if someone wants to take the time to build CM10 with the latest sources and "cook" up an image that includes the latest binaries and all the fixes that would help some folks out.

With regards using it as a daily, It depends if your "casual" with it, i.e a bit a browsing here and there. It seems stable enough and seems a little smoother than ICS in general. Watch Quinny's video review for info of video playback etc.

Current Developments / Sometime in the Distant Future :
    I don't know if anyones is actively working on the "ROM" it's self. I don't know if there's anymore that can be done on it at the moment other than a maintenance build like I mentioned.

What is being worked on is a new kernel build which should hopefully get the remaining Hardware functioning, The HW Acceleration is the primary goal but a fully functioning custom kernel which is not reliant on any updates from archos is the desired result. Quallenauge, who I think is taking a well deserved holiday at the moment is leading the charge on this and he has made some amazing progress, but obviously there is no ETA on this, It'll be ready when It works. :laugh: I'm doing a bit of development with it but I'm still at the stage where I learn that I've got a lot learn every single day.
    Here's a more detailed guide with linked downloads and better info for it:
    http://quinny898.webuda.com/blog/CM10_Archos_G9_Guide.html