Enabling App ops M8

Search This thread

Bhodi

May 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to edit the settings.smali and get app ops by similar to this method. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52781401.

This is running Sense 6, 4.4.2 on the Verizon m8 rooted and S-off

I've been able to get the settings.smali but I'm stuck now on what I need to edit.

Any suggestions on what needs to be changed wither in the setting.smali or other locations to get the App ops back would be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/Cygnuz/Settings/blob/master/Settings.smali

Bhodi

May 11, 2014
Thanks for the feedback.

I have reached out to the peeps recommended.

Once I get the information unless asked otherwise I will be sure to share.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
It's actually much more simple, I am in bed but tmw I'll post the edit needed. It's adding a string and adding some code to the security setting header .xml
(Feel free to compare against mine until I post the edits)

Edit:

These two edit's will have it show up in settings > security (although, you can put it in any header .xml you choose, really)

Add this to (go to the bottom of the .xml and add it there) res/values/strings.xml

Code:
<string name="app_ops_settings_summary">Manage app permissions</string>

(feel free to change this to your liking, "Manage app ops" Manage App Permissions", etc)

Add this to res/xml/security_settings_misc.xml

Code:
<Preference android:title="@string/app_ops_settings" android:key="app_ops_summary" android:summary="@string/app_ops_settings_summary" android:fragment="com.android.settings.applications.AppOpsSummary" />

Last edited:

Bhodi

May 11, 2014
BAM! You are the man Andy!! :victory:

Thanks everyone again for the help and support with this!

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Moved to Q&A forum.

Please don't start a thread in any dev forum unless you are releasing your own development work.

Thanks.

fulishone

Jan 16, 2013
Grabfeld
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
It's actually much more simple, I am in bed but tmw I'll post the edit needed. It's adding a string and adding some code to the security setting header .xml

Edit:

These two edit's will have it show up in settings > security (although, you can put it in any header .xml you choose, really)

Add this to (go to the bottom of the .xml and add it there) res/values/strings.xml

Code:

(feel free to change this to your liking, "Manage app ops" Manage App Permissions", etc)

Code:
<Preference android:title="@string/app_ops_settings" android:key="app_ops_summary" android:summary="@string/app_ops_settings_summary" android:fragment="com.android.settings.applications.AppOpsSummary" />

Did that on my M7 and couldn't access Settings-Security anymore afterwards. Kept getting Prozess stopped

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hi andybones, thank you for the effort. Attached you will find the file. Would it be possible to make AppsOps show in Settings directly underneath Apps?

Best regards

Sorry, the procure is the same for M7/M8, I don't know why I said they weren't.
You were most likely doing the part that is quoted above, but you also need to add text into res/strings.xml for the text that shows up.
I don't see "Apps" in Settings, do you mean in the Settings Menu under "App manager"? It's possible, yes - but far more work than this simple MOD.
This should work fine, install how ever your feel fit.
I suggest in a flashable.zip flashed in custom recovery.
AppOps should now be found in Settings > Security.

Also it seems but no smali in the code, that you are running an odex stock ROM?
This could be the issue if it doesn't work. but it should work just fine. :)

Attachments

• Settings.apk
    7.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: fulishone

fulishone

Jan 16, 2013
Grabfeld
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Sorry, the procure is the same for M7/M8, I don't know why I said they weren't.
You were most likely doing the part that is quoted above, but you also need to add text into res/strings.xml for the text that shows up.
I don't see "Apps" in Settings, do you mean in the Settings Menu under "App manager"? It's possible, yes - but far more work than this simple MOD.
This should work fine, install how ever your feel fit.
I suggest in a flashable.zip flashed in custom recovery.
AppOps should now be found in Settings > Security.

Also it seems but no smali in the code, that you are running an odex stock ROM?
This could be the issue if it doesn't work. but it should work just fine. :)

Yes, I suppose something went wrong when trying to deodex the rom. Was my first try and I am not sure I did everything correctly. Any advise?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit:

Code:

Code:
    @mcluvn has it turned on in his ROM here: http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=1913379

You would always just diff the settings APK after decompile and figure it out that way.

However I am not condoning the usage of someone elses mods in your own work with out appropriate permissions.
    Ask the skyfall rom dev. I'm sure he'd help and he has it enabled in his latest build which is pretty close to stock.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    BAM! You are the man Andy!! :victory:

Thanks everyone again for the help and support with this!

More than welcome. Glad I could be of help. :)
    Did that on my M7 and couldn't access Settings-Security anymore afterwards. Kept getting Prozess stopped

no fault of my own..
    this is for the M8. ;)