How to if I only want data via WiFi - Don't want to pay carrier data fees

Search This thread

cmariotti

Aug 12, 2007
I'm sorry... I've searched the forum using a few different keywords and can't find exactly how to do this. I did see a posting on "MoDaCo_NoData" but it seems to crash on my Tytn (installs but errors after it runs).

I have downloaded the official HTC WM6 Rom update and have that installed now. I'm just reading up on the hacked roms (Black Majik)... might try it in a week or two.

I know on WM5 if I didn't enable WiFi and by mistake ran IE, it downloads the data from the cell network, which is definately NOT what I want. Worse, if for some dumb reason, Wifi is a low signal, it might drop and push you onto the cell network for data, which has happened to me a few times now and unless you are paranoid (I am now), you never notice that it's slipped onto cell data network. It's starting to cost me a fortune.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

schplade

Jun 8, 2007
Just change the settings for your gprs data connection so they are incorrect and then wont connect to the network, easily done :).

cmariotti

Aug 12, 2007
Some clarification needed...

Just change the settings for your gprs data connection so they are incorrect and then wont connect to the network, easily done .

Sorry... where do I do that exactly? If I go to connections, click on "GPRS Setting" it asks me is I want to use PAP or CHAP... nothing else.

As well, I forgot to mention I did get a Tytn for my wife as well, so would be nice if there was a program or simple step to enable/disable and easy for the wife to use.

Start/Settings/Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Network

Select My WORK NETWORK

Thanks, doing this brings up "Network Managment" with two items on screen to choose.

1. Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:
Options: a) My ISP
b) My Work Network
Edit / New

2. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Options:
a) My Work Network
b) My ISP

If I do item 1 above, and change it to My Work Network, then I can no longer access web sites via WiFi. Which is what I'd like to do, just use WiFi, no other wireless data transfers via the cell carrier.

Thanks for your help and any clarifications..

leo-chan

Nov 27, 2006
Globetrotting
You are facing errors with your Modaco Nodata because you haven't setup any data connection (3G or GPRS) to your provider. Try setting it up and running Modaco Nodata again.

It works a breeze for me. But then again, if you don't have any connections setup, you shouldn't worry about anything in fact.

drummer10630

Dec 30, 2005
Philippines
Sorry... where do I do that exactly? If I go to connections, click on "GPRS Setting" it asks me is I want to use PAP or CHAP... nothing else.

As well, I forgot to mention I did get a Tytn for my wife as well, so would be nice if there was a program or simple step to enable/disable and easy for the wife to use.

Thanks, doing this brings up "Network Managment" with two items on screen to choose.

1. Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:
Options: a) My ISP
b) My Work Network
Edit / New

2. Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using: Options:
a) My Work Network
b) My ISP

If I do item 1 above, and change it to My Work Network, then I can no longer access web sites via WiFi. Which is what I'd like to do, just use WiFi, no other wireless data transfers via the cell carrier.

Thanks for your help and any clarifications..

When you go to Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Network/and select My Work Network, click EDIT then click on the Proxy Settings tab and check this network connects to the internet....

Doom Tints

Jun 6, 2007
Simply go into the network settings area (the same area people have noted above) and remove every connection other than your wi-fi.

Poke around, you'll figure it out.

winnebago

Jul 28, 2007
Even easier

Call your carrier and disable data to that phone. Then there are NO worries that you accidentally change a setting and get a big bill as a result.