Unlocking/downgrading/flashing/OTA question

Search This thread

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
Hi all!

I've been reading all day about how to SIM unlock my I9305 UK 3 Hutchison 4.1.2, and I'm getting somewhere, but feel I've hit a dead end with the sources available online and here. If I've missed something obvious I'm sorry! :) Would really really appreciate some guidance on where to go next.

I need to downgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 to do the simple unlock trick from the phone dialer code, but the first impediment is I can't find any UK 3 Hutchison firmware for the I9305 anywhere, not on any of the main firmware sites (http://www.samsdroid.com and http://www.sammobile.com) or here on XDA forums, or using Google. Neither 4.1.1 nor later versions.

So first off, if anyone knows where to find that then I guess I'm sorted? Even if I found 4.2/4.3 then I think I could downgrade to 4.1.1 using any carrier's firmware, then sim unlock, then flash the newer 3 Hutchison firmware and be ready for OTA 4.4, right?

If not, I need to know the implications of flashing a ROM from a different region/carrier. I'm going to sell this phone, and Kitkat might be coming out soon, so I need it to be able to accept OTA updates, and this is what I can't find clear answers on.

The ROMs I can find are:

non-UK, non-3, stock 4.1.1 firmware at samsdroid.com, a few versions from different European countries, all from a particular Euro carrier.

And from here pre-rooted UK 4.1.1 EE carrier firmware. My reading suggests that the rooting shouldn't be a problem, that an OTA update will unroot it, which is what I want. But they're not 3 Hutchison.

So what 4.1.1 ROM is best to flash, and how do I get it to a state where it will accept OTA updates?

I think that covers it, let me know if anything isn't clear.

Many many thanks you lovely people!

Raistlin1158

Dec 28, 2010
The would be you best bet, I've run it and its great and although its says it's an EE Rom there is no carrier bloatware, in effect stock Samsung

Product Code: GT-I9305TADEVR (4.1.1) (EE UK)
PDA: XXALK3
PHONE: XXALK2
CSC: EVRALI5
Link:http://d-h.st/CTu (Dev-Host)

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
The would be you best bet, I've run it and its great and although its says it's an EE Rom there is no carrier bloatware, in effect stock Samsung

Product Code: GT-I9305TADEVR (4.1.1) (EE UK)
PDA: XXALK3
PHONE: XXALK2
CSC: EVRALI5
Link:http://d-h.st/CTu (Dev-Host)

Hi, thanks for replying!

I guessed this was my best bet, but can you or anyone confirm for me, what will be the situation with OTA updates after flashing it?

Thanks!

PS. Don't want to take any unnecessary risks here seeing as I can't find any 3 Hutchison firmware to use as a backup! If only I had that, I could experiment more...

Last edited:

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
Rooted phone OTA update may well fail on install and phone refuses to boot . See multiple posts .

Oh right, thanks for clearing that bit up!

So what about the issue of using another carrier's firmware?

If I use th EE pre-rooted firmware and unroot, or use the European firmware? Can I then receive OTA updates or do I have to do something or is it not possible?

Thanks

Raistlin1158

Dec 28, 2010
Hi, thanks for replying!

I guessed this was my best bet, but can you or anyone confirm for me, what will be the situation with OTA updates after flashing it?

Thanks!

PS. Don't want to take any unnecessary risks here seeing as I can't find any 3 Hutchison firmware to use as a backup! If only I had that, I could experiment more...

It shows as official so OTA is OK...:good:

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Rooted phone OTA update may well fail on install and phone refuses to boot . See multiple posts .

That's rubbish I have used this for 18 months with no issues...

Have you tried it ?

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
The quote " They said " implies that you haven't used it, so on what basis do you feel experienced to comment...

I think it's pretty obvious from the thread I haven't tried it! :)

Just trying to interpret JJEgan's words. They cite 'multiple posts'. So I guess the task, when I'm at home, is to search for these posts and decide for myself if there's anything to it. Don't mean to offend you by not taking your word on it, but 1 is a very small sample size! ;)

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I think it's pretty obvious from the thread I haven't tried it! :)

Just trying to interpret JJEgan's words. They cite 'multiple posts'. So I guess the task, when I'm at home, is to search for these posts and decide for myself if there's anything to it. Don't mean to offend you by not taking your word on it, but 1 is a very small sample size! ;)

Multiple posts means multiple users have posted help OTA update has failed usually at the same % in every case phone has been rooted .
Obviously if other multiple users have not had a problem they are not going to post help i don't have a OTA problem due to root .
Searching may not be that easy as many users don't exactly describe a problem in the title .

Me try OTA no i never use stock but i have read the majority of posts on the I9300/05 forum to know that some have a problem with root and OTA .
If it is actually totally untrue better get RootSu to remove it in the sticky .

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
I have no idea what accusation you think I'm making against Liquid Perfection, and I'm fine with appearing like a newbie, my true identity.

Is there anyone out there who isn't a horrific internet cliché who knows what will happen if I flash a different carrier's firmware on my phone and try to OTA update??

spaceboy_psy

Nov 5, 2011
For anyone coming across this in future: I decided to take the plunge and flash 4.1.1 EE software on my 3 network S3, and behold, OTA update worked just fine. No problems so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod Edit

Thread cleaned.

Please stay on topic.

Thank you

malybru
    Forum Moderator