[Q] 4.4.3 OTA failed after install Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik & Bionic libraries

Search This thread

nct2k

Jul 6, 2008
Hello everyone,

Today my Nexus 7 2013 Wifi received 4.4.3 OTA, but the update failed (I didn't take note the detail error)
My Nexus 7 is running stock ROM 4.4.2, with optimized Dalvik and bionic libraries installed (using 4.4_qc-optimized_bionic.zip and 4.4_qc-optimized_dalvik.zip from thread:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/4-4-4-4-x-qualcomm-optimized-dalvik-t2546120

So I tried to use ClockworkMod to install the file df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip
But it failed with error: /system/bin/dalvikvm has unexpected contents
I've tried to revert back the libraries using KOT49E_stock_revert.zip in the above thread.
But the installation of df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip still failed with different error: /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents

Is there anyone encountered the same problem like mine?
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
:)

Last edited:

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Fastboot flash the system.img from the kot49h factory image and then try the update again.

Reactions: nct2k

sola fide

Jun 8, 2009
Texas
Thanks for your suggestion! I've tried but still encountered /system/bin/installd has unexpected contents

Are you sure you used the system.img from the 4.4.2 build? Also, how did you flash the system.img file. I recommend using fastboot mode to write it.

I ran into this same problem because I forgot I flashed Dalvik and Bionic. Same error in fact. I flashed the system.img rebooted and went straight back into recovery and pushed the update by ADB and it worked perfectly. Double check everything, because flashing the system.img should correct that error.

nct2k

Jul 6, 2008
Are you sure you used the system.img from the 4.4.2 build? Also, how did you flash the system.img file. I recommend using fastboot mode to write it.

I ran into this same problem because I forgot I flashed Dalvik and Bionic. Same error in fact. I flashed the system.img rebooted and went straight back into recovery and pushed the update by ADB and it worked perfectly. Double check everything, because flashing the system.img should correct that error.

Yes, I used fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (extracted from razor-kot49h-factory-ebb4918e.tgz)
then used adb sideload df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip when the Nexus is in stock recovery mode

I've switched to TWRP (openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-flo.img), same error.

BTW, did you apply the KOT49E_stock_revert.zip before the sideload?

Last edited:

sola fide

Jun 8, 2009
Texas
Yes, I used fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (extracted from razor-kot49h-factory-ebb4918e.tgz)
then used adb sideload df43279bcf6bb6a0ae403249c3e6f314d0a7eb77.signed-razor-KTU84L-from-KOT49H.df43279b.zip when the Nexus is in stock recovery mode

After flashing recovery.img you also need to flash system.img pulled from the same tar file. That's why you're still getting the error. Only flashing the recovery file won't write over what the Dalvik and Bionic files edited.

Reactions: nct2k and meekrawb

sbaeder

May 8, 2010
After flashing recovery.img you also need to flash system.img pulled from the same tar file. That's why you're still getting the error. Only flashing the recovery file won't write over what the Dalvik and Bionic files edited.

In other words - ALL the OTA things can only work on 100% STOCK system. Personally, I used the WUG tool kit to flash a complete NEW, CLEAN, STOCK 4.4.3 (of course that does do a reset of the entire machine)...

You MIGHT be able to put back the stock runtime files that were changed and then do the update so you don't have to go "cold turkey", but my guess is that even that won't allow a update...For the amount of changes, you might just be better off sticking with 4.4.2 :)

Good luck...

Reactions: nct2k

nct2k

Jul 6, 2008
My bad, flash system.img is enough, don't need to touch the recovery. Completed the upgrade and all my data retained.

Thanks a lot guys! :laugh:

Last edited:

islammanjurul

Aug 23, 2009
Dhaka
Is there anyway I can flash the system.img without any PC? I don't have access to any PC now and stuck on this installd error. Can't update to 4.4.3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Fastboot flash the system.img from the kot49h factory image and then try the update again.

In other words - ALL the OTA things can only work on 100% STOCK system. Personally, I used the WUG tool kit to flash a complete NEW, CLEAN, STOCK 4.4.3 (of course that does do a reset of the entire machine)...

You MIGHT be able to put back the stock runtime files that were changed and then do the update so you don't have to go "cold turkey", but my guess is that even that won't allow a update...For the amount of changes, you might just be better off sticking with 4.4.2 :)

Good luck...