Install apps on SD Card on Note 8.0 *root

Search This thread

melvill

May 2, 2013
Durban
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys

I noticed another thread here on how to use your external SD card for apps only me being a noob it was far too complicated. I managed to find this video tho and tried it on my device and it works perfectly. You need a rooted device with Busybox and Script Manager to do this and then you will need to download this script and use Script manager to run this script at startup which basically swaps the internal and SD memory around so your device thinks your SD card is SDcard0. Video explains everything quite nicely.

There are other options out there that work too such as an app called Directory Bind, but this is way easier and much more reliable. With directory bind i was having huge problems trying to access the SD card or internal memory when plugged into my PC. Hope this helps.

script: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyNote2/app2sdNote2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8PyqCOpERA

Last edited:

kable

Nov 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
Works great!

Followed these steps from original post and now have 64GB as internal storage!

Install script manager from play store
Open script manager, click on browse as root then ok
Choose the downoaded file and choose Script/Executable
Now tap on Su, Boot and Save
Reboot your phone and enjoy!

aven1217

May 10, 2013
Works great!

thanks! i tried this and works perfectly!

1username4thisforum

Jul 30, 2011
Question. What size SD card are you guys using?

Can I add a 64gb SD card, on top of the 16gb internal?
so then I would have like 80 gigs total?

kable

Nov 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
Question. What size SD card are you guys using?

Can I add a 64gb SD card, on top of the 16gb internal?
so then I would have like 80 gigs total?

I used a 64 GB micro sd card. That became my internal storage (Sdcard0) while the original internal storage now shows up as (extSdcard) ( Which is approx 10GB ) so you can use it all but it will be 2 separate storage areas.

Just look at the OP's post, he has a pic of how your storage will be showing up.

Reactions: 1username4thisforum

fabiovolta

Jan 15, 2012
I'm using FolderMount from Google Play to move specific folders to the SD card, seems to be working well.

The internal SD is probably much faster than the external, so I'd rather not do a full swap.

Reactions: GhorX

melvill

May 2, 2013
Durban
www.facebook.com

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368860270852.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368860270852.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,135
Reactions: 1username4thisforum

FaeMinx

May 9, 2009
Hi guys.

I haven't watched the video yet... I just want to ask a few questions (and state my case) first:

I've just bought a 64gb SanDisk Ultra... I would like to use it as my internal memory as is described here... I have no intention of ever taking it out of the device.

Now my concerns:

1) I've never rooted a device before. I can get my way around windows and build a pc... that's about it. So I'm very nervous about doing this.
2) In all likelyhood I'll be staying on stock, so I want to be able to receive updates in the future.
3) I've already installed some apps to the internal memory... what's going to happen to those after I do this swap?

So what do I need to know?
Who's going to hold my hand in this? :)

melvill

May 2, 2013
Durban
www.facebook.com

hey man, I was in the same boat as you, never rooted anything before. you can root the note 8 by using framaroot. Its really easy and you can Install from the Link below and once rooted you Wont be able to do updates but you will be able to unroot when you would like to do an OTA update. I had to use the Samsung desktop application (Kies) for windows to apply the original firmware to do the updates. Not sure if you will need Factory reset but i did and I was able to update again. This is a software root and if anything goes wrong a factory reset will fix anything, that or just restoring your firmware, this also shouldn t void your warranty

the apps you have installed already will still work you just need to copy all the data on the internal across to your 64GB card (select all, copy and paste)

1 Install framaroot
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1952450&d=1368232060
2. Open frama root and select SupesSu. Select the Aragorn method.
3. Reboot your device
4. Install busy box and open the app. Grant Su permissions and do the smart install
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox&hl=en
5. Now you are rooted and ready to follow the steps of this thread.
6. Use ur device to format the SD card
7. Download script and save to SD card
http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyNote2/app2sdNote2
8. Install script manager from play store
9. Open script manager, click on browse as root then ok
10.Choose the downoaded file and choose Script/Executable
11. Now tap on Su, Boot and Save
12. Reboot your phone

Watch this video too.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app

FaeMinx

May 9, 2009
Great, Thanks!

This step by step was just what I was looking for. :)

:highfive: :good:

jlmnote

May 23, 2013
Had the script running for a while prior to a reboot last night....now smanager shows " sh: /storage/sdcard0/Download/app2sdNote2.bin: can't execute: Permission denied"...Don't know what happened??Tried deleting and reinstalling with no luck?? tried saving the download to the sdcard and the internal memory..neither worked??

Last edited:

jdub1981

Jan 23, 2013
This is great info and all but what happens if the sd card gets corrupt. Its a very real possibility as I have seen on AC it happens quite frequently. If the sd gets corrupted and that is where your android os file are now stored does your phone/tablet become a brick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I wrote the hard to understand version of what's very much this process.

The gui is helpful, but you do need to know what the script is doing and what the script is to troubleshoot problems. It's not actually swapping all of your Android system onto the sdcard, to start with.

Your OS stays internal, and installer files for most of your apps stay on the internal memory. Applications write their data to the sdcard.

Gotchas with this approach include:

-your script needs to be executable by the process which runs it. When I first set this up there were issues around who owned the script and who could run it. If that's broken, you'll get the 'this script could not run' error.

- if you use one of the alternate roms, you will need a different script. Civato's kernel, for example, requires a different version of this script.

- I have heard rumors that 4.2 and above break this approach. Unknown by me.

Reactions: melvill and FaeMinx

jlmnote

May 23, 2013

The gui is helpful, but you do need to know what the script is doing and what the script is to troubleshoot problems. It's not actually swapping all of your Android system onto the sdcard, to start with.

Your OS stays internal, and installer files for most of your apps stay on the internal memory. Applications write their data to the sdcard.

-your script needs to be executable by the process which runs it. When I first set this up there were issues around who owned the script and who could run it. If that's broken, you'll get the 'this script could not run' error.

- if you use one of the alternate roms, you will need a different script. Civato's kernel, for example, requires a different version of this script.

This is the only part of the script in red when I view the log inSuperSU:

stdout redirected to /dev/null

Don't know if that clears things up a little?

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
you might try enabling adb and running the script from an adb prompt;
adb shell
cd /etc/init.d

find the script (probably called XYmount where X and Y are numbers) and
type

sh XYmount

That should give you fuller output of the error.

jlmnote

May 23, 2013
small ricurr

you might try enabling adb and running the script from an adb prompt;
adb shell
cd /etc/init.d

find the script (probably called XYmount where X and Y are numbers) and
type

sh XYmount

That should give you fuller output of the error.

Since this is not a full swap to the sd card I think I am just going to leave it alone....don't want to mess around and risk bricking the unit. If I do decide to try the adb route I will let you know what I find. THANKS!

xd2009

Apr 12, 2009
hey man, I was in the same boat as you, never rooted anything before. you can root the note 8 by using framaroot. Its really easy and you can Install from the Link below and once rooted you Wont be able to do updates but you will be able to unroot when you would like to do an OTA update. I had to use the Samsung desktop application (Kies) for windows to apply the original firmware to do the updates. Not sure if you will need Factory reset but i did and I was able to update again. This is a software root and if anything goes wrong a factory reset will fix anything, that or just restoring your firmware, this also shouldn t void your warranty

the apps you have installed already will still work you just need to copy all the data on the internal across to your 64GB card (select all, copy and paste)

1 Install framaroot
3. Reboot your device
4. Install busy box and open the app. Grant Su permissions and do the smart install
12. Reboot your phone

Watch this video too.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the step by step instructions . I do have a couple questions before I dig into this method.

1 - You mean to copy all the internal sd card to the external one?

2 - the script was written for a Galaxy note II, would it work for the Galaxy Note 8?

3 - When you mention to download and save the script do SD card, do you mean the internal one?

4 - Did you write this script?

Thanks for your help. The lack of internal memory is my biggest issue with the note 8.

Yours,

Alex

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys

I noticed another thread here on how to use your external SD card for apps only me being a noob it was far too complicated. I managed to find this video tho and tried it on my device and it works perfectly. You need a rooted device with Busybox and Script Manager to do this and then you will need to download this script and use Script manager to run this script at startup which basically swaps the internal and SD memory around so your device thinks your SD card is SDcard0. Video explains everything quite nicely.

There are other options out there that work too such as an app called Directory Bind, but this is way easier and much more reliable. With directory bind i was having huge problems trying to access the SD card or internal memory when plugged into my PC. Hope this helps.

script: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyNote2/app2sdNote2

1 Install framaroot
    3. Reboot your device
    12. Reboot your phone

Watch this video too.

Hope this helps.

Works great!

Some apps will always default to put data on internal storage. There is no way to move the data at all. Folder Mount creates what unix people call a symlink and windows people call a shortcut. The app will think it's looking at it's own folder in the internal storage but what it's actually doing is following a symbolic link to a folder on the external storage. To the app there is no difference - it thinks it's still using the internal storage - in reality it's reading that 1.8gb of game data off the external storage.

The script to swap the whole internal and external partitions is flaky at best and there are many glitches that occur when using it. Folder Mount is much more reliable. Directory Bind is no longer supported so shouldn't be considered as an option.

Sent from the mighty Note II