[Q] No charging when powered off

Search This thread

unhappybirthday

Feb 28, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
When my phone is powered off, it will not charge. When on, it does. When off and plugged into AC, the phone vibrates every few seconds, the "charging battery" display never appears, and LED does not light. This is new behavior. I've reflashed the ML1 firmware (I'm on TouchWiz 4.1.2 still). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jmetcalfe84

Dec 2, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
When my phone is powered off, it will not charge. When on, it does. When off and plugged into AC, the phone vibrates every few seconds, the "charging battery" display never appears, and LED does not light. This is new behavior. I've reflashed the ML1 firmware (I'm on TouchWiz 4.1.2 still). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My wife's GS3 did this the other day seemed to be a loose charging cable connector. She tried the one for my Nexus 10 tablet and it worked. I would suggest trying that first if you have any other chargers that work with your phone.

Reactions: unhappybirthday

Wh1t3Rose

Are you using a custom kernel? This sounds Like a kernel bug

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

unhappybirthday

Feb 28, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
My wife's GS3 did this the other day seemed to be a loose charging cable connector. She tried the one for my Nexus 10 tablet and it worked. I would suggest trying that first if you have any other chargers that work with your phone.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't matter which charger or battery I use. If the power is off, no charging. If the power is on, charges fine.

Are you using a custom kernel? This sounds Like a kernel bug

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, using KT's 4.1.2 TouchWiz kernel. Haven't changed it recently, though. Does the kernel boot when charging while powered off? I've always wondered where the green battery charging screen was coming from...

unhappybirthday

Feb 28, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
I believe that this problem was custom recovery related. I had updated to TWRP 2.7.0.0 around the time this problem began occurring. Since re-flashing TWRP 2.6.3.1, the device charges normally when powered off. This leads me to believe that the "battery charging" screen that displays when the device is powered off is actually booting some component of the recovery kernel for this feature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.