Does screen filter save battery?

Search This thread

iguanad

Jul 30, 2007
Since the OTA I can't get my screen to dim enough. Does screen filter save battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nikorasu

Jan 2, 2010
Try this app called LUX. It allows you to customise brightness.

The paid version allows dim below "0%".

You can set it to something like -40% in a dark room, and normal brightness when you're outside. Basically, it's like auto brightness which you can customise. This is so you don't have to on/off a screen filter app.

And yes lower brightness saves battery.

iolinux333

Apr 15, 2008

You can set it to something like -40% in a dark room, and normal brightness when you're outside. Basically, it's like auto brightness which you can customise. This is so you don't have to on/off a screen filter app.

LUX is awesome!!! TIP OF THE YEAR!!!

Eun-Hjzjined

Oct 31, 2011
Parry Sound, canada
Could we get a market link?

Can't seem to find it, just get light meters and cheap screen flashlights in search results.

Sent from my EOS Xoom using XDA Premium HD

jahciple

Mar 27, 2011

i just tried this app and it killed my battery faster than using screen dim because this program is constantly running on the background. what settings are you using on it?

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

Nevod

Feb 19, 2009
I'm an author of a program named Custom Auto Brightness, currently it's not under-dimming automatically but it'll be added soon.
Meanwhile, could I ask some of you to test it? I'll provide apk if anyone agrees. The problem seems that PoverVR GPUs seem to have problems with screen shading like in Screen Filter and the like, I'd like to check if I were able to circumvent the problem or not.

Nikorasu

Jan 2, 2010
i just tried this app and it killed my battery faster than using screen dim because this program is constantly running on the background. what settings are you using on it?

Having something run in the background doesn't mean it's using a significant amount of phone's battery. The amount of battery saved from low brightness is much much more than the battery used for Lux to compute brightness level. Of course I did not test it, but it is common sense: as the display uses most of the battery. You can check your battery use in settings.

Lower brightness, longer battery. Lux doesn't even appear in battery use. My screebl app, which constantly uses CPU to check for orientation uses only 3% in battery use.

Download ES task manager to see what's running on startup, and look at what you do not use, it'll probably shock you. ;)

As for my settings in Lux, I set it to dynamic and so far my linked samples are:

Lux ----- Brightness
2 --------- -40%
25 -------- -25%
550 ------- 20%
20000 -----100%

Been using these settings for a couple of weeks, and no problems. I have also added picture viewers, camera apps, and video players to ignore/compatible list.

Another tip to save battery which most already know: use setcpu to underclock your phone when screen is off to 300max/300min, or 600max/300min if you use your phone for music. Needs root though.

jahciple

Mar 27, 2011
well i noticed after i wake up in the morning the battery has gone down so much more after i started using lux. i disabled it and everything was better. it probably used about 10% more battery in 6 hours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

danam

May 18, 2010
I use the brightness control from widgetsoid. I leave it set at 10% and my battery still hase 40% or more charge after all day and evening, even though I read on the train for about 1 1/2 hours and do moderate email ---huge difference from auto brightness setting. Tap the widget to go to auto brightness when outdoors (although, frankly, I go days without using it outdoors so this works great for me).

mutha88

Oct 18, 2011
Hi guys!

I just bought LG L5 II. It's still UNrooted, so I need a brightness control that doesn't require ROOT privileges. The reason is quite simple - the minimum brightness is too bright, when you're NOT outdoors (if you're outdoors, you better set the brightness on 40-60%). I'm posting here because it doesn't matter If I have Motorola or LG - the principle is the same - display is too bright.

I've installed Screen Filter. In this topic some of you lot are chatting about Lux app - is it better than Screen Filter? What's your opinion? Obviously I want to save some battery and to use my display at night or indoors (without causing pain to my feelings and emotions :D).

I will test Screen Filter for couple of days and see what's what. Hope some of you have tested it already and give me some tips. Cheers!

PS: Sorry for reviving this old thread mods, found it on Google, dunno if there is a newer one 'bout the same problem.

Last edited:

lamepsycho

Feb 21, 2015
Quetta
I think Lux and other screen brightness modification apps use a transparent layer over the main ui and we actually darken and brighten that layer running over the Ui instead of setting a further down limit to the screen LCD power value. This might be the reason that using Lux or any other screen dimmer app consumes more battery~ the screen LCD uses same power and in addition an extra app is running in the background continuously . It is only the transparent layer that darkens to save your eyes in dark atmospheres~ LCD power consumption remains the same.

Last edited:

GuccizBud

Nov 9, 2013
^^ This right here is what I've been wondering for some time, because I suspect that at least some of those apps work that way, and is also likely imho what the OP was really asking. Yes, everyone knows the display is by far the largest drain on battery, and so lowering the brightness helps with that, so the question is does the app in question actually do that or does it simply provide a customizable overlay, as the poster above me speculates. Because if an app is doing the latter, not only will it not conserve battery it will actually drain it more, to a point, because the actual brightness is still the same (even if you don't "see" it) and the app itself is running all the time. Granted its consumption may be very low, but the point is that scenario certainly wouldn't SAVE any battery. And my guess is that within this group of apps that are the focus of this thread, some are simply overlays and some (the very technical ones) are the real deal, and it's a question of knowing which to pick. What I'd really love is for someone who is very technical in this area to see this thread and provide some definitive info.

MhikeiMPC12

Aug 18, 2015
Toronto
^^ This right here is what I've been wondering for some time, because I suspect that at least some of those apps work that way, and is also likely imho what the OP was really asking. Yes, everyone knows the display is by far the largest drain on battery, and so lowering the brightness helps with that, so the question is does the app in question actually do that or does it simply provide a customizable overlay, as the poster above me speculates. Because if an app is doing the latter, not only will it not conserve battery it will actually drain it more, to a point, because the actual brightness is still the same (even if you don't "see" it) and the app itself is running all the time. Granted its consumption may be very low, but the point is that scenario certainly wouldn't SAVE any battery. And my guess is that within this group of apps that are the focus of this thread, some are simply overlays and some (the very technical ones) are the real deal, and it's a question of knowing which to pick. What I'd really love is for someone who is very technical in this area to see this thread and provide some definitive info.

This is partially right. If you have an LCD, you are just dimming your screen, not saving battery in the process. If you are using a LED screen, the app's will save battery since LED pixels can be individually lit. Using black or battery saving backgrounds will also help your battery life on LED screens. This is one of the reasons why LED screens are much more preferred than LCD.

Reactions: koragg97

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i use screendim and i noticed i do save battery.

This is partially right. If you have an LCD, you are just dimming your screen, not saving battery in the process. If you are using a LED screen, the app's will save battery since LED pixels can be individually lit. Using black or battery saving backgrounds will also help your battery life on LED screens. This is one of the reasons why LED screens are much more preferred than LCD.