[Guide] How to root MSI Windpad Enjoy 71 and Primo 81 20-03-2014

Search This thread

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Update: I've reports that this method also works with the Primo 81, I'm not able to test it since I don't own one of thise devices but users have told in this thread they've had no problems whatsoever following the instructions here to root.

Hi guys, after doing some searching for how to root MSI Windpad 71 all I could find were msi 7 threads so I wanted to share with you what I ended up with. This method will work for both 4.0.4 and 4.1.1 Android systems.

First of all, you will need ADB drivers so your computer will recognize the tablet when connected in USB Debugging mode, you can find the Universal ADB drivers here (I took this link from Koushik Dutta's google+).

Secondly you will need Cydia Impactor, this is a tool that will allow you to root your device (This is the main site in case you want to check it).

Once you have both the ADB Drivers and Cydia Impactor we can begin rooting the device. I'll asume you sort of know what you are doing here if you are planning on rooting the tablet but if you have any question feel free to ask.

1. Install ADB Drivers (For the drives you need to have the tablet unplugged from the computer).
  2. Cydia Impactor does not need to be installed, is only a package with a couple libraries and an executable file.
  3. Turn on USB Debugging
    usb-debugging.jpg
  4. Connect the device to the computer through usb cable.
  5. Open Impactor and run the default command hitting Start. The window should look like this
    All you have to do is click start.
  6. That should be it, once you have done the steps you should install an app which requires root like Titanium Backup and testdrive your newly rooted Windpad 71.

That made the trick for me and it should be working for you, hope it helps.

Kibaruk

PS: I'm not taking credits for neither Koushik's drivers nor Cydia Impactor software, just tryint to make all the information available for easy access for new users that might find this helpful.

Last edited:

ptrap

Feb 25, 2013
Yes confirmed for 4.1.1

I've been told by another user that it also works with MSI Windpad Enjoy 71 running Android 4.1.1

Hello

Yes can confirm that this would work on Enjoy 71 on Android 4.1.1.
Have now removed Asian system keyboards and some other bloat.

I guess no specific ROM's would be made for it, too few are sold outside Asia. But there might be ROM's out there that could be tweaked to work on the Enjoy 71.

Regards
PT

Reactions: aab44

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Nandroid Backup

Well hope this helps anyone who tries rooting their Windpads 71.

I insist that if you have any question feel free to ask and I'll help you in any way I can.

Also, if someone knows how to get a nandroid backup for the Windpad 71, that would be awesome!

Reactions: aab44

mattanur

Jul 2, 2009
How to root Samsung Music Duos GT-S 6012

Thanks kibaruk. By following your simple guide I could successfully root My Samsung Music duos GT-S6012 (4.1.2). The cyda Impactor is simply a great tool,so easy and powerful. It took only a few seconds to complete the job. Is it possible to unroot with the same tool?

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Thanks kibaruk. By following your simple guide I could successfully root My Samsung Music duos GT-S6012 (4.1.2). The cyda Impactor is simply a great tool,so easy and powerful. It took only a few seconds to complete the job. Is it possible to unroot with the same tool?

That my friend I havent tried

JarodCB

Mar 22, 2013
Any news on a custom ROM? This little tablet is seriously awesome but a bit more configuration options wouldn't hurt.

Also, can you update from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1 using the tablet or do you need to download it somewhere?

Sent from my SC-03E using xda app-developers app

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
Any news on a custom ROM? This little tablet is seriously awesome but a bit more configuration options wouldn't hurt.

Also, can you update from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1 using the tablet or do you need to download it somewhere?

You need to go to the Windpad 71 site and download the system image according to your serial number, then update reading the instructions on the same site it's really simple and if you don't like the upgrade you can always go back downloading the 4.0.4 system image.

I think you have an option to do the same via wifi but I havent tried it.

Also I havent seen any news on a custom ROM. Once you have it rooted you can add whatever system settings you like for example notification toggles, fullscreen to hide the standard navigation bar, so I'm not sure a new custom will add too much to the Windpad since the original one is light and fast.

Reactions: JarodCB

JarodCB

Mar 22, 2013
Thank you for the quick answer!

I updated Android and used the root process described. Worked great! Thanks for all the help!

Yeah, maybe you are right. I am still new to tablets so I don't know much about the things I can do with this version. The learning begins now!

Anyway, If anything comes up ill be happy to be the guinea pig :)

thabrez

Apr 25, 2012
Kindly provide me the custom rom for msi primo 81. I wanna root my new primo 81

Sent from my msi primo 81 using xda app-developers app

thabrez

Apr 25, 2012
msi primo81 tablet

any one got Custom Rom for Msi primo81 tablet. i need to root my new primo81

thabrez

Apr 25, 2012
msi primo81 tablet

Thanks , bro i have don it , works like a charm , i have rooted my new priomo81

mustapha.gis

Oct 20, 2013
error !!

cant root msi primo 81
error message says: can't find a device ?? on Cydia Impactor Impactor

what should i do ??

an image for my PC device manager in attachment

Attachments

• usb.JPG
    usb.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 373

kibaruk

Sep 8, 2012
Copiapo
After install driver an error message
Says : other error

And I search and found driver and I install it : android compatible adb driver

But still says can't find device

Did you put your device in USB debug mode? If you are having problems with connectivity it's your driver, the other option is debug mode is not on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: I've reports that this method also works with the Primo 81, I'm not able to test it since I don't own one of thise devices but users have told in this thread they've had no problems whatsoever following the instructions here to root.

Hi guys, after doing some searching for how to root MSI Windpad 71 all I could find were msi 7 threads so I wanted to share with you what I ended up with. This method will work for both 4.0.4 and 4.1.1 Android systems.

First of all, you will need ADB drivers so your computer will recognize the tablet when connected in USB Debugging mode, you can find the Universal ADB drivers here (I took this link from Koushik Dutta's google+).

Secondly you will need Cydia Impactor, this is a tool that will allow you to root your device (This is the main site in case you want to check it).

Once you have both the ADB Drivers and Cydia Impactor we can begin rooting the device. I'll asume you sort of know what you are doing here if you are planning on rooting the tablet but if you have any question feel free to ask.

1. Install ADB Drivers (For the drives you need to have the tablet unplugged from the computer).
    2. Cydia Impactor does not need to be installed, is only a package with a couple libraries and an executable file.
    3. Turn on USB Debugging
    4. Connect the device to the computer through usb cable.
    5. Open Impactor and run the default command hitting Start. The window should look like this
      All you have to do is click start.
    6. That should be it, once you have done the steps you should install an app which requires root like Titanium Backup and testdrive your newly rooted Windpad 71.

That made the trick for me and it should be working for you, hope it helps.

Kibaruk

PS: I'm not taking credits for neither Koushik's drivers nor Cydia Impactor software, just tryint to make all the information available for easy access for new users that might find this helpful.
    I've been told by another user that it also works with MSI Windpad Enjoy 71 running Android 4.1.1
    Yes confirmed for 4.1.1

Hello

Yes can confirm that this would work on Enjoy 71 on Android 4.1.1.
    Have now removed Asian system keyboards and some other bloat.

I guess no specific ROM's would be made for it, too few are sold outside Asia. But there might be ROM's out there that could be tweaked to work on the Enjoy 71.

Regards
    PT
    Nandroid Backup

Well hope this helps anyone who tries rooting their Windpads 71.

I insist that if you have any question feel free to ask and I'll help you in any way I can.

Also, if someone knows how to get a nandroid backup for the Windpad 71, that would be awesome!

You need to go to the Windpad 71 site and download the system image according to your serial number, then update reading the instructions on the same site it's really simple and if you don't like the upgrade you can always go back downloading the 4.0.4 system image.

I think you have an option to do the same via wifi but I havent tried it.

Also I havent seen any news on a custom ROM. Once you have it rooted you can add whatever system settings you like for example notification toggles, fullscreen to hide the standard navigation bar, so I'm not sure a new custom will add too much to the Windpad since the original one is light and fast.