[Q] VPN On phone worth it ?

Search This thread

djxedxd

Aug 25, 2010
I was trolling thru the settings and saw there's a built in VPN that can be used is it worth it or is this one that Verizon has control over and would just hand over your info to the mafiaa anyway ? Anyone know more about this or have you used it yet ?

Cruiserdude

Jul 13, 2010
It's just a remote access client. Stock Android comes with one, which you can still use here, LG has provided a more advanced one that has better compatibility with more advanced forms of IPSec encryption, haven't really played with it to see what else it does.

I highly doubt that Verizon has instructed LG to intentionally compromise the security of their VPN client, the legal ramifications alone would make this a very foolish decision, even for Big Red. The security of the traffic sent over the tunnel depends on what type of encryption was used, and we can't currently be positive that there is a type of encryption out there the NSA can't crack, they don't need Verizon's help to do so.

What type of VPN are you trying to connect to? If this is corporate or educational the security of the traffic isn't your responsibility anyway.

Reactions: djxedxd

RHChan84

Aug 1, 2014
I just use the stock Android on. I have been using it for years so I stuck with it. I played with the LG one but for what I need, the stock is all I need. I use it to stream movies to me phone from my home server and I can access my drives.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

Reactions: djxedxd

djxedxd

Aug 25, 2010
I never used it before and all I would need it for would be the occasional stream when Netflix don't have something. So I guess the LG one would work just fine. I didn't know much about there VPN being on he in the first place or android. So thanx I leaned a bit tonight. ?

And ya I know all about if the nsa wants you they'll get you lol. Which is why I won't even step near anything like Expendables. Lions gate is like a pack of wild dogs going after people right now. ?

Last edited:

jmotyka

May 19, 2009
Right behind U!
Given the actions of our Broadband and Cellular companies over the last few years, i have decided i wont use my computer and phone without a VPN. They have no right snooping.

I use VYPRVPN and i have tried many Vpn services over the last 2 years. VyprVpn seems to be the best bang for the Buck and the have the fastest speeds and a large amount of servers. Two things that separate Vypr from all the other VPN services is they use their own proprietary Protocol called Chameleon Protocol which is built on top of OpenVPN. It adds another 256bit layer of encryption on top of OpenVpns 256bit encryption and keeps our ISP's from knowing if were are using a VPN at all. The other added Benefit is they use their own DNS servers and detect and prevent DNS leakage also built in kill switches for in case you loose your VPN connection for what ever reason it will disable your internet all together to keep whatever you were working on from leaking out for prying eyes. They do minimal logging. They would prefer you not to do any torrenting but they dont block you from torrenting. But if you are someone who likes to torrent then use a server outside the US that doesn't have strict piracy laws.

Like i said i have used many VPN services and VyprVPN is by far the best ive ever used. There are tons of perks that others cant come close to offering. I have the premier plan and its worth it.

YES VPN IS WORTH IT. Anonymity is a must for me and should be for everyone else. What i do with my connection is none of anyone else's business. Especially since i pay a buttload of money to have internet. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tech_head

YES VPN IS WORTH IT. Anonymity is a must for me and should be for everyone else. What i do with my connection is none of anyone else's business. Especially since i pay a buttload of money to have internet. Hope that helps.

My ISP (Sonic.net) allows VPN if you have a valid account.
The LG VPN works fine. Still getting LTE speeds through their backbone.

I guess I'll keep VPN enable permanently.

djxedxd

Aug 25, 2010
Sounds good. Now to learn how to use it properly lol. But ya my thoughts exactly no one needs to see what I have on my connection but me. And with all the snooping going on and intrusive adds grabbing info to see what sites you visit just to send you relevant adds (cough cough ) it's a great idea.

RHChan84

Aug 1, 2014
Most routers support VPN so its free to setup and easy to do

djxedxd

Aug 25, 2010
Hi all. Trying to get the lg VPN going but I've only ever set one up for my home comps n they basica9did everything for you. One click setup so to speak.

I got to name the VPN then it asks for the ip address but is that my ip or the one I want it to show (masked) ?gotta admit I don't know much bout this lol thanx in advance guys .

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
VPN on Android

VPN on Android has kind of been a sore subject since KitKat. I used to connect to L2TP on Mac OS X Server (snow leopard) from my phones as far back as Gingerbread, but with KitKat, L2TP became incompatible with Apple's implementation. That being said, PPTP works fine although being slightly less secure than L2TP. Android connects just fine to my Ubuntu Server PPTP, but no matter what I do I can not get get OpenSwan (Linux L2TP) to work outside my local LAN. Considering I have the EXACT same problem with OS X L2TP over the Internet but iOS devices can still manage to "phone home" to my L2TP server, I'm sure has something to do with my ISP considering L2TP an "enterprise" application and blocking my traffic, but iOS devices use some form of non-standard/undocumented L2TP.
I use VPN all the time for the simple fact that it provides a secure tunnel back home so I can grab files off my server, etc. Not only that, but it's a good way to provide at least some security when using public wifi. The thought of using public wifi without VPN gives me chills. It is disappointing that Android has deemed PPTP not secure enough to enable "always on vpn", which would tunnel 100% of your data through your VPN whenever a data connection (4G or WiFi) are available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's just a remote access client. Stock Android comes with one, which you can still use here, LG has provided a more advanced one that has better compatibility with more advanced forms of IPSec encryption, haven't really played with it to see what else it does.

I highly doubt that Verizon has instructed LG to intentionally compromise the security of their VPN client, the legal ramifications alone would make this a very foolish decision, even for Big Red. The security of the traffic sent over the tunnel depends on what type of encryption was used, and we can't currently be positive that there is a type of encryption out there the NSA can't crack, they don't need Verizon's help to do so.

What type of VPN are you trying to connect to? If this is corporate or educational the security of the traffic isn't your responsibility anyway.
    I just use the stock Android on. I have been using it for years so I stuck with it. I played with the LG one but for what I need, the stock is all I need. I use it to stream movies to me phone from my home server and I can access my drives.