[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

Search This thread

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
Uploading them currently. I'm not going to update my scripts until we get a permanent host but in the meantime, you can download the files to your pc, copy them to your touchpad in webos storage mode, then run this script: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/4GBUbuntuReinstallFixedOnlyExtract.sh. This one only formats ubuntu and extracts files already on your device. It doesn't download anything, partition anything, or mess with /boot as you should have all that stuff set up already and I don't want to kill my links. Here's the file links: the main system one is still updating so check periodically to see if it's done. I've got pretty fast internet so it shouldn't take too long. Just run the script as usual, from /tmp.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/ts_srv_init.tar.gz http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/TouchPadBuntuRootfs.tgz
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/Modifications.tar.gz

thanks. check it out in just a minute.

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
Nah, I get that a lot though. We're just both fans of the same band, DC Talk, who had a song named Jesus Freak. I did meet him once in the #cyanogenmod irc channel. I made this name before I heard of him.

Kewl.

10char

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Up and running! Thanks jesusfreak. There isn't enough room in my boot partition for both the cm9 kernal and the ubuntu kernel so i have to swap them out depending on what i want to use, with adb. Does anybody know how i can clear up some room. I read people are tri-booting no problem. I just a hassle is all. thanks again.

ian426

Jun 6, 2010
Kewl.

10char

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Up and running! Thanks jesusfreak. There isn't enough room in my boot partition for both the cm9 kernal and the ubuntu kernel so i have to swap them out depending on what i want to use, with adb. Does anybody know how i can clear up some room. I read people are tri-booting no problem. I just a hassle is all. thanks again.

Glad you've got it! What all are the contents of your boot partition? You might have ended up with some extra junk in there while trying to do the install...

robreefer

Feb 3, 2012
I just gave this a try, and did the install just fine, the tp rebooted and when Ubuntu loads, I get a kernel panic error, and it just reboots. I tried doing the reinstall, and it did the same thing. WebOS and AOKP are booting just fine. Any ideas?

ian426

Jun 6, 2010
I just gave this a try, and did the install just fine, the tp rebooted and when Ubuntu loads, I get a kernel panic error, and it just reboots. I tried doing the reinstall, and it did the same thing. WebOS and AOKP are booting just fine. Any ideas?

Which script did you use? The one in the installation instructions from the first post is out of date.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Last edited:

BodenM

The dropbox account that hosts the files that the script downloads has exceeded its bandwidth, so the script is broken for now. We're trying to get a new file server. Try following the steps I posted for newellj79 in the past page or so, specifically http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22893114&postcount=320.

Since the portal post went up, it caused me to exceed my DropBox bandwidth, so you can't download the rootfs right now. Maybe we can find someone generous enough to let us use their FTP server while we figure out a solution.

z3no

Dec 4, 2008
Guys sorry, I would be glad to offer you some ftp space, but with all these install scripts and the "doesn work, tried it 10 times" there is definitely too much traffic!

There is a really simple way to install this DEVELOPER VERSION(!) on your device (5 commands via terminal or novaterm) and even if you mess something up, you can have the rootfs zip on your internal storage and you dont need to reload it!

If anyone rewrites his/her script to use previously downloaded files which were stored on media/internals, traffic will be reduced to a minimum. Also I think a minimum knowledge of linux and webos/device architecture should be required if you want to install ubuntu.

I would prefere to offer two scripts:

one which is only for partition resizing (after the resize procedure I advice to restart the device) and the other one extracts the previously loaded and stored tar files. A introduction should look like this:

1. Download these files to your internal storage
2. run this script if you havent resized your partition already (reboot req. afterwards)
3. run this script to extract the files stored on media/internal and to install ubuntu.
4. boot ubuntu (passwd ubuntu), run sudo depmod -a in terminal blabla

best, z3no

P.S.: back to developing, I observed a really high cpu usage (both cores about 95%), but cant detect a process that causes this, any ideas?

lovleshgarg

Jul 29, 2010
Can I make EXT partitions from wTerm or Xecutah on my TouchPad also? Or it can only be done using novaterm on computer?
Actually, I will not have access to any PC or Laptop today, that's why asking.

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
when /boot is mounted, run this in terminal or novaterm:
Code:
ls /boot

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Thank you much. I it figured out. I had two recoveries installed, CWM and TWRP. Removing TWRP freed up enough room to have cm9, webos, and ubuntu kernels all istalled at once. I'm good to go. Thanks again everyone for there help.

robreefer

Feb 3, 2012
Hmmm.... I'm still getting the Kernel Panic, I'm going to WebOS doctor the TP and try again from scratch with just WebOS installed.

z3no

Dec 4, 2008
Can I make EXT partitions from wTerm or Xecutah on my TouchPad also? Or it can only be done using novaterm on computer?
Actually, I will not have access to any PC or Laptop today, that's why asking.

normally, you can use any terminal you want to create the partitions

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Hmmm.... I'm still getting the Kernel Panic, I'm going to WebOS doctor the TP and try again from scratch with just WebOS installed.

If you have problems with the doctoring (normally the kernel panics because of wrong partition sizes), try doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 first or use the instructions here to fully recreate the partition system and then doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 and after that with 3.0.x

robreefer

Feb 3, 2012
normally, you can use any terminal you want to create the partitions

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

If you have problems with the doctoring (normally the kernel panics because of wrong partition sizes), try doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 first or use the instructions here to fully recreate the partition system and then doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 and after that with 3.0.x

I was having an issue, and 3.0.0 didn't even work. I had to manually delete and remake all the partitions from scratch. But thankfully, after all is said and done, I am back to developer mode WebOs only.

Before I did the doctor, I tried to reboot into ubuntu. I noticed before the kernel panic, I was getting alot of errors before that (wich I didn't notice before). All "not enough space". I wonder if the initial install didn't create the partitions properly?

Is there a log (if the install doesn't work properly) that will tell you where it farked up?

OK, tried it again, and the problem is with the initial install. It doesn't seem to be repartitioning the drive properly. On the initial install, when it asks you "did the line above give you a mount/unmount error, press 1 for yes 0 for no". I press no for no error (cause it doesn't say there is a mounting error). Then it says size of partition and hangs. If I hit enter it gives me some unknown command error.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Guys sorry, I would be glad to offer you some ftp space, but with all these install scripts and the "doesn work, tried it 10 times" there is definitely too much traffic!

There is a really simple way to install this DEVELOPER VERSION(!) on your device (5 commands via terminal or novaterm) and even if you mess something up, you can have the rootfs zip on your internal storage and you dont need to reload it!

If anyone rewrites his/her script to use previously downloaded files which were stored on media/internals, traffic will be reduced to a minimum. Also I think a minimum knowledge of linux and webos/device architecture should be required if you want to install ubuntu.

I would prefere to offer two scripts:

one which is only for partition resizing (after the resize procedure I advice to restart the device) and the other one extracts the previously loaded and stored tar files. A introduction should look like this:

1. Download these files to your internal storage
2. run this script if you havent resized your partition already (reboot req. afterwards)
3. run this script to extract the files stored on media/internal and to install ubuntu.
4. boot ubuntu (passwd ubuntu), run sudo depmod -a in terminal blabla

best, z3no

P.S.: back to developing, I observed a really high cpu usage (both cores about 95%), but cant detect a process that causes this, any ideas?
I was thinking something similar; I made a script like that that a couple people have used temporarily while the main script is broken but it might be good to do that anyways. It wouldn't be quite as foolproof but would save a ton of bandwidth. Maybe keep the download files in the initial install script but have the reinstall script use local files if the initial download fails. Anyways, here's the script: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/4GBUbuntuUpgrade.sh This only formats ubuntu (not partitions), mounts it to /tmp/linux, and extracts the files from /media/internal to the /tmp/linux mount point.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I was having an issue, and 3.0.0 didn't even work. I had to manually delete and remake all the partitions from scratch. But thankfully, after all is said and done, I am back to developer mode WebOs only.

Before I did the doctor, I tried to reboot into ubuntu. I noticed before the kernel panic, I was getting alot of errors before that (wich I didn't notice before). All "not enough space". I wonder if the initial install didn't create the partitions properly?

Is there a log (if the install doesn't work properly) that will tell you where it farked up?

OK, tried it again, and the problem is with the initial install. It doesn't seem to be repartitioning the drive properly. On the initial install, when it asks you "did the line above give you a mount/unmount error, press 1 for yes 0 for no". I press no for no error (cause it doesn't say there is a mounting error). Then it says size of partition and hangs. If I hit enter it gives me some unknown command error.

Odd, those commands haven't changed for weeks and have worked for quite a few people.

What was the last line of text it showed? It should be one of the lines in quotes after an echo command in this block of code: but instead of the $variables it should have numbers.
Code:
PARTITION=4096
echo "Your chosen partition is ${PARTITION}MB."
CURRENTSIZE=$(lvm.static lvdisplay -c store/media | awk -F: '{print $7/2048}')
echo "Your current media partition is ${CURRENTSIZE}MB."
NEWSIZE=$(($CURRENTSIZE - $PARTITION))
echo "Your new partition layout will include a ${PARTITION}MB ext3 partition and a ${NEWSIZE}MB media partition. As this installs a 4GB partition for Ubuntu, your new media partition should be 4GB less than it originally was. Does this seem correct? If so, type 1, if not, type 0."
read OK
if [ $OK ==  1 ];
then echo "Ok, continuing."
else echo "Goodbye."
exit
fi
echo "Now resizing your media partition and creating the ext3 partition for Ubuntu."

Huh, after trying those myself I'm getting syntax errors. Someone just got this successfully installed yesterday though. Huh. Try running this script: it doesn't do anything just prints some relevant information. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/Test.sh

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING, DRAGONS AHEAD!
    IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW, BY INSTALLING THIS, YOUR WARRANTY IS PROBABLY VOID! I won't be responsible if your TP bricks, needs doctoring, catches fire, skins adorable puppies and kittens, BBQs your "crown jewels", eats your children, starts WW3, explodes or commits seppuku!

Special thanks go to:
    • jcsullins - The guy who made all of this possible by creating moboot, and he created kernel patches that fix the weird-ass framebuffer glitches, and he made the userspace touchscreen driver. This guy is a f**king GENIUS!
    • jeanfrancis - pointed me towards better-initramfs, as well as showing me some code on pointing that initramfs to an LV.
    • crimsonredmk - showed me the Arch Linux documentation for the TP, and wrote the original instructions for getting Arch Linux on the TP, which I have taken and adapted.
    • The CyanogenMod Team - For creating CM7, and getting it working on the TouchPad.
    • perpe - made a working rootfs to get it booting while I was busy :)

Installation instructions: http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad-ubuntu/wiki/Installation

Apply to join the dev team! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJYWDJJbUNKT0ZlanZSVVB4aElTZHc6MQ

CHANGELOG:
    Alpha 0.0.4:
    Code:
    - Kernel panic on boot issue should now be fixed
    - Location of sys files changed
    Alpha 0.0.3:
    Code:
    - Added userspace touchscreen driver
    - Hopefully fixed kernel panic on boot
    Alpha 0.0.2:
    Code:
    - Patched framebuffers to prevent color and mouse cursor glitches
    - Released kernel sources
    Alpha 0.0.1:
    Code:
    - Initial Release
    12.10 version 2 [NOW MORE USER-FRIENDLY!]

New version of Ubuntu 12.10
    Hello everyone. It's been a while since I released 12.10 (beta 1 at the time) for TP. It was quite large and somewhat buggy, with a few regressions from

I am proud to present you with a completely reworked, fully up-to-date new version of Ubuntu 12.10.

What works:
    - USB OTG
    - Touchscreen + Service (ts_srv_0, ts_srv_90)
    - GNOME 3 - fallback only
    - Sound (only through the speaker for now)
    - Wi-Fi (NetworkManager)
    - Bluetooth (tested, HID k/b visible from gnome3)

Useful features (now mostly in the right places):
    - Multi-Threaded Memory Compression (zram) and Swap (already present on all TouchPads)
    - Proper fstab mounts: sdcard, read-only boot and read-only webOS root
    - udev kernel patch, fixes the "failed to recieve ctrl connection: Function not implemented" error.
    - Many more kernel modules, examples: CIFS/SMB, NFS v3/v4, LED triggers, and more.
    - Tiny kernel and initramfs, both compresssed with LZMA instead of gzip (3.3MB down from 5.4MB)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled brightness changer (Applications->System Tools->Set Brightness)
    - Zenity powered GUI enabled screen rotator (Applications->System Tools->Touchscreen Rotation)
    - PulseAudio bypassed and replaced with ALSA dmix/dsnoop for gstreamer (fixes crashing Rhythmbox/Totem)
    - Spiffy console font, t.fnt.gz (set at boot)
    - All legacy init scripts that are Touchpad related have been ported to Upstart.
    - No sudo password prompt. This is needed for the zenity scripts to function properly!
    - Command line battery information script: /usr/bin/battery
    - Brightness changer (setbrightness) will still work from cmdline, just use the brightness # as an argument
    - Freedreno (still no ExA)
    - Symbolic links from user directory to SDcard save wasted space for music, pictures, downloads and videos/movies
    - Far smaller than before (516 MB down from 836MB)

logins
    login: ubuntu
    password: ubuntu

login: root
    password: root

download links (You'll need all four!)
    Kernel [3.3 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4y2adpjdvrhl2lh
    Part 1 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?190elok4akdw482
    Part 2 [200 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?hhiyp0w8jef5p5w
    Part 3: [104.62 MiB]: http://www.mediafire.com/?4u49m34xmftlx9h

install instructions
    (You'll need at least MoBoot to be installed already.)
    1. If you don't already have Ubuntu on your TP, run the "4GBPartition.sh" but not the other scripts. Either way, BACK UP.
    2. Install my new, modified kernel in /boot. (The modules and Freedreno driver are already included in the tgz.)
    3. Download the TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.1, 2 and 3 files from MediaFire to the root of the SD card/internal storage of the TP.
    4. Run the following commands in novaterm:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    cd /media/internal
    cp uImage.Ubuntu /boot
    cat TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.* > TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    mkdir -p ubuntu-root
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    mount /dev/store/ubuntu-root ubuntu-root
    cd ubuntu-root
    tar -xvpzf ../TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
    cd ..
    umount /dev/store/ubuntu-root
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /boot
    reboot
    5. Select Ubuntu in the moboot menu to boot Ubuntu 12.10 final!!
    After a 3/4-month hiatus (who's counting anyway?), I have returned to XDA :D
    I'm reading through to thread ATM to get up to speed on the excellent work Calc has been doing on the project (thanks for picking up the slack when I disappeared :cool:), but after my exams are finished and the term is over (2-3 wks), I'll be hopping back into development.
    Thread Cleaned of useless arguments and off topic replies. Stay on topic.
    And that statement makes me look forward to this port even more. Ya need to post a donate link, mate. I'll be looking for it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

I'm not accepting donations until I can show working code, which should be in about 1 week.