Nexus 5 Keyboard Issue- Glitchy and choppy

Search This thread

MasterElaichi

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

I am sort of new to this forum and I hope I am posting this in the right place. Apologies if there is a thread about this elsewhere but I have looked online and couldn't find a thread about this issue. It is hard for me to describe in words about the issue I am facing but I will try and be as descriptive as possible :D

For quite sometime now I find that my nexus 5 keyboard has become extremely glitchy and choppy. I find that the keyboard isn't as smooth as it was when I first got my device. There seems to be a bit of a lag between the time I press the key to the when the characters actually appear. It is very apparent when I am typing sentences in one flow. This is causing too many typos and is extremely annoying. I could, at one time, comfortably type long text messages with hardly any typos. The typos that I get can be considered almost impossible to generate unless you are willingly typing random characters

I am on android 4.4.4 and this problem has existed for the past couple of months. I don't have any custom firmware installed. My frequently used messaging apps are Viber, WhatsApp and Google hangouts. But this issue seems to be there even when I am typing something in the browser

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Have you tried a different keyboard? Like SwiftKey

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xdrc45
Hi,

I am sort of new to this forum and I hope I am posting this in the right place. Apologies if there is a thread about this elsewhere but I have looked online and couldn't find a thread about this issue. It is hard for me to describe in words about the issue I am facing but I will try and be as descriptive as possible :D

For quite sometime now I find that my nexus 5 keyboard has become extremely glitchy and choppy. I find that the keyboard isn't as smooth as it was when I first got my device. There seems to be a bit of a lag between the time I press the key to the when the characters actually appear. It is very apparent when I am typing sentences in one flow. This is causing too many typos and is extremely annoying. I could, at one time, comfortably type long text messages with hardly any typos. The typos that I get can be considered almost impossible to generate unless you are willingly typing random characters

I am on android 4.4.4 and this problem has existed for the past couple of months. I don't have any custom firmware installed. My frequently used messaging apps are Viber, WhatsApp and Google hangouts. But this issue seems to be there even when I am typing something in the browser

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi MasterElaichi and welcome to the forums.
The keyboard that your using for your messaging apps is the same as the one in your browser also... Im pretty sure that it's the Google keyboard by default.
I actually use Android Keyboard (AOSP) instead of the standard Google Keyboard and can switch between the two if I want the the system settings menu.
Couple things you could try-
To start you can go to "System Settings/Language and Input" then scroll down to keyboard and input methods. Click on the settings menu to the right of the Google keyboard or what ever keyboard you have selected. and go through you settings and make sure everything is set to your preference (just by chance somehow the settings have change) and check your auto correction aggressiveness, I have mine set to Modest.
Other than that you can try and and go to "System Settings/Apps/All" then select Google keyboard and clear the Data and Cache. This will wipe you personal dictionary if you have one though.

If the following doesn't work and the Google keyboard keeps acting up, you might want to try an different keyboard all together. Like Android Keyboard (AOSP) or Swiftkwey or Kii keyboard... Just some popular one to recommend.

MasterElaichi

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for all your responses. I have tried swiftkey in the past but I find it weird. For some reason I prefer a standard keyboard

My google keyboard settings are set to the default. I have turned off vibrations and the auto correct is set at modest. I have tried clearing the cache numerous times in the past but that doesn't work either

If I were to type this message using my Nexus 5, it would be riddled with typos and spaceless words. I am talking about typos that are impossible to get when you are in the flow and just typing away. For example, when I want to type "m', the letter "m" pops up, but the character that appears in the text area is either "." or the previous character would have disappeared. Similar thing with space bars. Sometimes pressing a space bar will just create a space but the characters may not appear

I have tried using my phone in safe mode but it helps only a little bit. I did contact the google support centre. As expected, they are asking me to do a factory reset and if that doesn't work they say they will rma my phone

MasterElaichi

Jun 14, 2013
Hi,

I uninstalled apps like Viber and Whatsapp thinking they could be the cause. I have also been running my device on safe mode. The problem still persists

I found this thread online. My problem is quite similar this one here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2274818

The only difference is that the OP here had an issue with an HTC. The problem appears to be keys that are close together are getting pressed. And I am certain my finger's aren't that fat and stubby that multiple keys get pressed :D

I don't want to factory reset my phone without exhausting all my options to fix this problem. Any input will be helpful

Thank you

MasterElaichi

Jun 14, 2013
So I have decided to do a hard reset on my phone hoping that would resolve my keyboard issue. I have managed to backup my photos and stuff to google doc. i wanted to back up my whatsapp data onto my laptop but for some reason my laptop (vista) isn't detecting my phone

I have reinstalled whatsapp in the past after removing and I didn't lose my whatsapp data. Do you think a hard reset will make my whatsapp data irretrievable? I am asking because there is an option in whatsapp, when you install it, that asks if you want to back up conversations

gamer.11

Dec 11, 2012
Ernakulam
So I have decided to do a hard reset on my phone hoping that would resolve my keyboard issue. I have managed to backup my photos and stuff to google doc. i wanted to back up my whatsapp data onto my laptop but for some reason my laptop (vista) isn't detecting my phone

I have reinstalled whatsapp in the past after removing and I didn't lose my whatsapp data. Do you think a hard reset will make my whatsapp data irretrievable? I am asking because there is an option in whatsapp, when you install it, that asks if you want to back up conversations

if you hard reset and wipe the internal memory then your whatsapp back up will be deleted.

Try and uninstall any keyboard updates you may have done.

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I would say the same thing and it would be the first thing I would try, uninstall the updates and data in settings/apps. The google keyboard works fine on my N5 and N7.

MasterElaichi

Jun 14, 2013
I performed a wipe cache partition through recovery mode. There seems to be some improvement but it is too soon to tell

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried a different keyboard? Like SwiftKey

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk