[ROM][Pre-Pre-ALPHA] Droid A855 ICS Build Attempt

Search This thread

Feb 10, 2011
jrodriguez5.protecturl.info
Ahh and one tiny final note. The patches that kfazz did to the kernel and using the defy batt.d file to get the 1% battery reporting (at least for me) will definately tell you whether you have an OEM battery or not.

Earlier today I switched out to my inexpensive POS ebay supposedly OEM (probably chinese) that has never lasted more than 8 hours and given me all kinds of other grief; battery, and it kept reporting 100%, but discharge rate was unknown. And then suddenly it just quit, powering off the phone but when I plugged into an OEM charger it would power up and start to charge and finish soon; yet upon unplugging, bye, bye phone.

Now I am running my high dollar Mugen 3300 yet with similar results as far as battery reporting. It is staying at 100% with and "unknown" message in battery stats.

Rebooting to CWRecovery and wiping battery stats did not change it.

And now I'm done. You hope.

I'm on the same boat...tried wiping battery stats too but no dice.
Went back to cm7.2

robert anderson

Mar 2, 2011
i think the rom is using the cpu wrong. i had to clock it at 125-600 so it would stop over heating. and when i look at what the processor is running it always says 550 but im using the on demand perimeter. i dont know if i did something. is anyone else having this problem? and my usb works now after a clean install. Great work kfazz

lwilli

Jun 23, 2012
Statesboro
Busted... You Got Me! lol...

Just for kicks, I doubt the kernel had anything to do with it, _maybe_ an idiosyncrasy within one of these builds required only /system/media.

When the A855 was released and _before_ we had root, the only place to put a custom bootanimation.zip file was in /data/local. Then once we had root, we could also mount /system rw and put it into /system/media copying over whatever one was there. If there was not a bootanimation.zip file in the rom, the one you see on kfazz's would play and where it is, who knows?

There were alot of problems, where to began...? The reason I thought one of the kernel's only used system/media is because I compress a zip animation(zip setting in winrar set to best) and it did not work in data/local but did in system/media, the kernel or whatever not sure but whatever governs the amount of space in system/media only had about 10mb of free space and with cm9 bootanimation being 12mb there was a problem. So I edited it a little to make it under 10mb so it would work in either directory and put it in a post saying it would work on previous kernel's with the 10mb system/media directory.

I only compressed it like that for one reason, because you can only attach zip files under 11.8mb on xda forums. So I compressed the file to 9.7mb it didn't work in data/local but did in system/media. I was so naive I didn't check the official cm9 bootanimation.zip to see if it work in data/local, but I checked it later and found that it did indeed work in both, you just can't compress the bootanimation at all. It's just stored in a zip container, So if I would have edited the image files to about 10mb and then stored the files as a zip(no compression at all) it would have worked in both directories.

To solve the xda attachment file problem I just uploaded the cm9 bootanimation.zip to mediafire and posted the link... think that's what I'm do from now on when I share up here...

So anyways tired of typing. I Was Wrong. I LITERALLY don't know s**t about kernels or building roms to be honest, just what a pickup from you guys on this fourm. And when I hear ya talk about something and research/google it:D

Last edited:

chungyn

Jul 6, 2012
Heya, I've tried searching this thread but I can't find much relevant results about it. I've installed the 2012-07-03 build of this ROM yesterday on my Droid 1, it's working fantastic, but there is one major issue i've noticed: it doesn't seem to contain an English dictionary so auto-correction hints on the keyboard aren't working and almost every word is marked as spelled incorrectly.

Is there a dictionary I can install to the phone or is this feature just not implemented yet?

teddyearp

Jul 27, 2009
ted.servepics.com
I LITERALLY don't know s**t about kernels or building roms to be honest, just what a pickup from you guys on this fourm. And when I hear ya talk about something and research/google it:D

I didn't quote your whole post to save space. And I don't really know much more than you about building, but I am still trying to learn as are you. And I have done a LOT of reading and have a LOT more to go. I try to follow an adage in one person's signature, "read more, post less".

When I do share something that I feel pretty sure that I _do_ know, I hope I am not coming off as a smugmug, I just wish to share what I _think_ I know for the readers.

And to kfazz about what I have shared about this work of yours. I hope when I post detailed stuff about the things that don't work/or I don't like that you don't take it like I am not appreciative of your work; I am. The title still says pre-alpha, and I try it out as such therefore I feel as though the wonky/not quite working stuff should be detailed. When the stuff works, what other detail does one need?

With that in mind, man this thing is close, but last night after running this rom for a couple of days, I just got so tired of pressing buttons and waiting forever for apps or actions to take place that I almost threw my phone across the room. Reverting to the stock launcher only slightly lessened this. This morning I applied V6 and that only fixed it for a while. I even reverted back again to the stock AOSP launcher, but my phone kept getting more and more unresponsive.

You've got most everything else working on this rom, it is getting so close I can taste it. Keep up the good work and THANK YOU.

ASAM123

Dec 20, 2011
I didn't quote your whole post to save space. And I don't really know much more than you about building, but I am still trying to learn as are you. And I have done a LOT of reading and have a LOT more to go. I try to follow an adage in one person's signature, "read more, post less".

When I do share something that I feel pretty sure that I _do_ know, I hope I am not coming off as a smugmug, I just wish to share what I _think_ I know for the readers.

And to kfazz about what I have shared about this work of yours. I hope when I post detailed stuff about the things that don't work/or I don't like that you don't take it like I am not appreciative of your work; I am. The title still says pre-alpha, and I try it out as such therefore I feel as though the wonky/not quite working stuff should be detailed. When the stuff works, what other detail does one need?

With that in mind, man this thing is close, but last night after running this rom for a couple of days, I just got so tired of pressing buttons and waiting forever for apps or actions to take place that I almost threw my phone across the room. Reverting to the stock launcher only slightly lessened this. This morning I applied V6 and that only fixed it for a while. I even reverted back again to the stock AOSP launcher, but my phone kept getting more and more unresponsive.

You've got most everything else working on this rom, it is getting so close I can taste it. Keep up the good work and THANK YOU.

My phone is a bit laggy too. Sometimes I need to do a battery pull, but it's sort of manageable for now.

And also, I'm having an issue with Links2sd. I have around 96 MB free space. when I reboot my phone, it goes down 24 MB and I get that low storage space notification, and I have to relink all the apps on sd to get rid of that notification and have 96 MB free again. anyone else having that problem? thanks

kfazz

Jun 24, 2010
intermittent lag is caused by out of memory killer killing background tasks and them constantly restarting

clean install, depending on settings say 99M to 80m free
DSPmanager takes 5-6mb (and crashes all the time, is it broken? removed it from current test build)
gapps (goodle services, media, and play store) eats ~25 mb
maps itself takes another 10
if you have facebook theres another 11

these things run all the time in the background so it becomes a constant struggle between oom killer and background services.
so if you open Browser it wants about 50Mb and all these are running something gets killed, then you press home and it lags...

i'm looking into methods for working around this such as zram (formerly compcache) or killing the services when they aren't being used, but for now, it's probably better to not use gapps and just sideload whatever you need, while paying attention to ram use

Last edited:
Reactions: teddyearp

robert anderson

Mar 2, 2011
intermittent lag is caused by out of memory killer killing background tasks and them constantly restarting

clean install, depending on settings say 99M to 80m free
DSPmanager takes 5-6mb (and crashes all the time, is it broken? removed it from current test build)
gapps (goodle services, media, and play store) eats ~25 mb
maps itself takes another 10
if you have facebook theres another 11

these things run all the time in the background so it becomes a constant struggle between oom killer and background services.
so if you open Browser it wants about 50Mb and all these are running something gets killed, then you press home and it lags...

i'm looking into methods for working around this such as zram (formerly compcache) or killing the services when they aren't being used, but for now, it's probably better to not use gapps and just sideload whatever you need, while paying attention to ram use

is there anyway we can get a file manager in the next build? or a file manager in update.zip format. ive looked for one in update.zip but cant find it. if we had that we wouldnt need gapps. i prefer not using gapps to save space. does anyone have a file manager in .zip format?

wolf45801

Mar 31, 2012
Lima
is there anyway we can get a file manager in the next build? or a file manager in update.zip format. ive looked for one in update.zip but cant find it. if we had that we wouldnt need gapps. i prefer not using gapps to save space. does anyone have a file manager in .zip format?

only thing i do is just add it to the update.zip and it installs it never had a problem with it crashing anything

Reactions: robert anderson

lwilli

Jun 23, 2012
Statesboro
also

kfazz you were right, your 6/20 build lasts about 3 times longer on battery life. Also with v6 supercharge and that kernel being able to be overclocked to 1200mhz it's the fastest yet... even overclocked at 1200mhz the battery lasts 2 to 3 times longer...

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
kfazz you were right, your 6/20 build lasts about 3 times longer on battery life. Also with v6 supercharge and that kernel being able to be overclocked to 1200mhz it's the fastest yet... even overclocked at 1200mhz the battery lasts 2 to 3 times longer...

I'd love to be able to go to 1300 like I was on GPA19 Rom by Peter Alphonso.

wolf45801

Mar 31, 2012
Lima
so you add it to the rom build...? like in system/apps inside the install file...:confused:

yes sorry i forgot to specify

PS: i can agree that with the 6/20 build my battery life was better and it go even better after i did the v6, the new build i loose 25% within 5 hrs of just idle

Last edited:

joeroid

Jun 28, 2012
blue led

How do you change the notification led colors? I really like the blue for missed calls and would like to make it blue for texts. Are there any other colors?

Kyle Chen

Mar 24, 2012
Did anyone find out how to fix the autocorrect thing which was missing a dictionary or something like that? thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    new build: http://www.mediafire.com/file/guo6leourklgzgq/cm-9-20120703-UNOFFICIAL-sholes.zip
    gapps: http://www.mediafire.com/?ax46kp0yrl85ynn

changes:
    hexed defy camera libs
    HD profile 854x480 green lines in gallery, plays fine on pc
    SD profile 640x480, plays fine via gallery
    * camera saving null jpegs fixed
    * camcorder working
    * enabled TLS register user in kernel and userspace
    * enabled 1% battery charge display
    * lid switch reporting fixed again (haha)
    * updated wifi drivers and firmware
    * usb storage and adb work
    * probably something i forgot ;)
    compiled kernel with gcc4.5, userland with linaro gcc 4.7 and -O3

still broken:
    camera flash
    gps (it was working before. RDS_SOCKET permission issue??)
    speakerphone and bluetooth mic routing
    HW decode
    native tethering

if you like my works, feel free to buy me a beer
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/sndcftxoq9g51gd/cm-9-20120712-UNOFFICIAL-sholes.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/uuhjaczqiqudqll/deprimed_160mhz.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/um9adenv025ip5d/deprimed_180mhz.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/k7agmab0uvuf274/deprimed_200mhz.zip

build default is core @ 180 (sgx @ 120)

3 kernels:
    core 160 hi 80 low sgx 107/53 ~ stockish speeds
    core 180 hi 90 low sgx 120/60 ~ moderate performance increase, good batt life
    core 200 hi 90 low sgx 133/60 ~ "battery waster" :D fast! definitely wont work on all phones. it works on my droid built 9/11/2010, but the other one built 7/19/2011 doesn't.

other changes:
    touchscreen? idr if that was in 7/3 build
    camera stuff
    sw dec
    added a few missing bluetooth files
    not really much else
    overclock breaks camera, backported milestone mt9p012, hp3a, and isp drivers
    this fixed camera and camcorder with sgx overclock, and i'm getting higher fps while recording
    was 15 , now 20 to 24.
    isp now uses an additional 6mb of ram, but i think it's a good tradeoff.
    true 720p recording may be possible now ;)

Edit: still freezes... hmm.

Edit:
    odexed build is still unstable, it locks up occasionally when the phone goes to sleep, and usually doesn't come back.
    no errors in logs, nothing i can check looks out of the ordinary, happens with and without gapps, completely mystifying.
    today i ws able to hack in the defy qtouch-obp-ts drivers and enable 5 point multitouch
    the new drivers came with new firmware. previously ver 19, new ver 22.
    this actually got flashed to the touchscreen controller, it's a one way process, unless someone can dump v19 from their phone.. but
    the new ver is compatible with old kernels too, so i don't think it's a big deal.
    i also modified the way the driver reports touch events based on moto stingray qtouch driver
    this is compatible with ics and jb without hacks.

ics progress: testing an odexed build. it's 20mb larger, but uses 20mb less ram and it's fast! now half of system/app lives on /data
    jb: boots. touchscreen is ... weird. no radio audio sensors lights anything really.
    figured it out:) well maybe i don't quite understand it, but it works :D
    problem was in sram34x.S
    apparently newer kernels don't modify sdram AC timings because sram code can't guarantee no one is using sram when the clock change occurs, which causes random crashes, or in our case, no boot.
    i've also rebased my kernel on deprimed and so far all is good.
    still need to test battery life, it's probaly worse, but better than previously posted builds
    screen off: ram @ 80Mhz sgx at 53Mhz
    screen on: ram @ 200Mhz sgx @ 133Mhz
    Edit2 warning was caused by dsp opp2 not being able to be set
    dropped dsp opp2 to 160.