Ubuntu Touch Super Q/A Thread

Search This thread

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Hello All,
My goal is to constantly update this thread with the latest questions and answers in regards to the Ubuntu Touch. Expect this thread to grow quickly as more information is revealed.

General Questions
Here is a list of some FAQs

Question : Why are the downloads so slow when I attempt to download the Ubuntu Touch Installer?
Answer : Due to the overwhelming response to users installing the thread, the repos are seeing higher traffic loads then normal. This should balance out in a few days. The Ubuntu team is working to add more capacity to their network as well.

Question : Is Ubuntu Touch stable enough for a Daily Driver?
Answer : No, most of the core "Applications" are non-functional . There is also no support for 3G Data

Question : When is a version stable enough for use as a Daily Driver going to be released?
Answer : According to Mark Shuttleworth, "within a few weeks"

Question : What Devices can Ubuntu Touch Be Ported to?
Answer : As the Ubuntu Touch Preview is simply running in a Cyanogenmod10.1 chroot, theoretically you can port Ubuntu Touch to any device that Cyanogemod 10.1 Supports. Development happened on ICS and eventually moved to JB. Keep in mind that performance may vary. Instructions to port Ubuntu Touch can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

Question : Since this is running in a Cyanogenmod chroot, can it run Native Android Apps?
Answer : No - The Cyanogenmod Fork has been stripped of the Dalvik VM and all other components necessary to run Android Applications. There is a likely possibility that someone will develop a "bluestacks" like emulator to allow android applications to run, but this will most likely not come from the Ubuntu team.

Question : How will the Ubuntu Touch handle Operating System Upgrades?
Answer : For the initial few developer previews, they will be moving to a nightly Jenkins build that developers will need to flash onto their device. Once they get on a stable release cycle, updates will be released via a PPA using the apt protocol. This will likely come with the launch of the Touch Ubuntu Software Center.

Question : Is dual booting possible?
Answer : Yes, thanks to the effort of the people at XDA-Developers, Dual Booting is possible. With this said, this is not something that the Ubuntu Team has any intentions of officially supporting. While Ubuntu seems to encourage community efforts, they stress that they do not want this to become a feature that the end user will expect to see officially supported. (I bet you all wish you got the 32 GB Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 rather then the 16 GB)

Question : Is the Ubuntu Touch UI using X11 or Wayland?
Answer : None of the Above. Ubuntu Touch is using the same Display Manager that is in use by Android, Display Flinger.

Question : Since Ubuntu Touch does not use X11 or Wayland, can it use native applications?
Answer : This is technically possible and appears to be the case in the "Desktop" view.

Question : Can OpenGL Applications work without hooking into the Ubuntu Phone API
Answer : Yes, the application would have full access to the OpenGL Stack.

Question : Are there plans to support the ARMv6 Architecture?
Answer : No, they will only be supporting ARMv7 and above

Question : What Kernel is in Use?
Answer : A modified Android Kernel is in use

Question : Will there be a PC based Device Emulator for developers to test their code?
Answer : This is something that they are working on, no ETAs have been given.

Question : What about CDMA support?
Answer : Fear Not Sprint and Verizon users, it is being worked on. The Ubuntu Team said that the GSM Radio is the global standard and this was simply where they focused most of their attention as all of the developers had GSM devices.

Question : Will Ubuntu be accepting merge requests for the Cyanogen10.1 sub system?
Answer : Yes, this is encouraged.

Question : How is the Battery Life?
Answer : Good but it will get better. They are working on several bugs with the Suspend Functions when the screen turns off. This will cause the battery to drain, even when the device appears to be off.

Question : Where is the Ubuntu chroot kept in relationship to Android?
Answer : The Ubuntu filesystem and all applications are kept in /data/ubuntu . If you use adb to browse this, you will see a familiar filesystem layout that most Linux users are used to

Question : What Command Line Arguments are Available for the "phablet-flash" tool?
Answer : Although this tool is poorly documented (no man page/only 2 flags are published), I did peek into the Python Source Code. Most of this should be useful for porters who want to use the same "phablet-flash" tool for unsupported devices. Here are the flags it accepts:

• -d (--device) Target Device to Deploy To
  • -s (--serial) Pulls the Device Serial Number, used to later run with the -d flag
  • -b (--bootstrap) Bootstraps the targeted device, only works with Nexus's and unlocked devices with fastboot.
  • -r (--revision) Chooses a specific build number to download
  • -l (--latest) Pulls the latest daily build from the server
  • -p (--base-path) Offline installer, requires that you maintain the same file structure as a -l would. (I assume this was used for the Ubuntu Demo at MWC)
  • -u (--url) Allows you to specify an alternate URI to download files from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources : Ubuntu On Air/General Playing with the Software

Ill be adding more to this as more information comes up. Feel Free to PM me if you have any other questions and I will try to track down an answer. I have the Ubuntu release on my Nexus 10 and dont plan to remove it, so I am more then happy to do some poking around for you all who dont have a device.

Last edited:

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
What Works and What Does Not Work
Here is what I have found to work and what does not work

Question : What Works?
Answer : As this is a Developer Build, dont expect much to work. The items that have been confirmed to work are;

• Touchscreen
  • Sound (over speakers)
  • Display
  • Pogo Power Plug Charging (Nexus 10)
  • Internet Browser
  • WiFi (No WPS)
  • Camera (Front and Back)
  • Video Player
  • ADB
  • Screen Brightness Controls
  • Automatic Brightness
  • Speech Driven HUD (Yes, it works)
  • GSM Voice (No APN Settings)
  • The SideStage Seems to be working

Question : What Does Not Work?
Answer : As this is a developer build, dont expect things to work properly, here are a few things that are not working

• 3G/4G Data
  • Audio Out via Headphones
  • HDMI
  • Bluetooth
  • Most Applications and Menus
  • Desktop View
  • Charging Indicator
  • Software Center (Note : You can install simple shell applications via apt-get install ... once inside the chroot)
  • Most applications are placeholders
  • MMS
  • CDMA Connections
  • SIM Storage
  • Auto Rotation (Or any rotation for that matter)
  • Random Crashes when swiping
  • Notifications (All of them are placeholders)
  • Most Applications that do function are web apps like m.gmail.com.
  • NFC
Question : What applications are functional?
Answer : As this is a developer build, dont expect things to work properly, here are the applications that are working

• Gallery (and it is BEAUTIFUL)
  • Phone (Dialer, SMS, Address Book) - Note, the SMS and Dialer seem to be Outbound Only at the moment, waiting for people to confirm
  • Camera (Front and Back if you have more then one camera)
  • Browser (Limited/Buggy/No Flash)
  • Media Player (Movies Only)
  • Note Pad
(Note : Many of these were only tested on a Nexus 10, I dont have a Nexus 4 to test on and I want to keep Android on the Nexus 7)

Last edited:

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
General Use Questions
There is currently limited amount of documentation available on how to use this Operating System. This section should help you learn to navigate the OS.

Question : What username and password do I use to login on the Main Screen
Answer : Select the "Guest" account. If you want to login as a user, you may select ANY user on the device, the password is the first name in all lowercase (lola, toomas, anna) aside from the differnt background images, ALL accounts are identical and have the same content.

Question : What username and password do I use to login via SSH
Answer : If you have installed the OpenSSH Server on your Ubuntu Touch Build, use "phablet" as both the username and password. SSH can be accessed over WiFi or ADB TCP Forwarding.

Question : What is the sudo password
Answer : If you are prompted for the sudo password, enter "phablet"

Question : XXX Function or Feature does not seem to be working

Answer : Keep in mind that this is a Developer Build, most functions are simply placeholders and do not work yet, please see my post above on what does and does not work.

Question : Wireless Data does not work

Answer : Keep in mind that this is a Developer Build, most functions are simply placeholders and do not work yet, please see my post above on what does and does not work.

Question : Now that I have ADB working, how do I access the Ubuntu chroot
Answer : You must be running adb as root ("adb root") prior to running an adb shell. Once you have ran the ADB shell, run the following command to enter the Ubuntu Chroot

ubuntu_chroot shell

You will now be dropped into a console on the Ubuntu chroot.

Question : How do I set the time zone?
Answer : In the current build, the Time zone must be set via command line. You can view the correct Timezone Values by using nano (or vi) to view /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab . I reside in Miami, which uses the "America/New_York" Zone. Once you have identified your zone, run the following commands via SSH

echo "America/New_York" > /etc/timezone
dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata

Question : How do I close an Application that I have opened (In the full pain or side stage)

Answer : Follow the Steps Below

1. Once in the Application, open the HUD by holding your finger at the bottom edge of the display and dragging your finger up to the middle (Think : Google-Now)
  2. Select the "Icon" of the App you wish to control (there may be more then 1 depending on the number of applications that are running.
  3. Select the "X" at the bottom right corner.
Note : Most of the menu options are non-functional, only close. Applications closed in this manner will no longer show up in your "Running Applications" list. It seems there are placeholders to switch sidestage applications and move an application into the sidestage, none appear to be working.

Question : How do I setup the Openssh server inside of Ubuntu

• Ensure the Tablet is connected to WiFi and connected to your computer via USB
  • On a computer, start adb as root by running "adb root" on a command line
  • Use adb to open a console into the device by running "adb shell"
  • Enter the Ubuntu chroot by running "ubuntu_chroot shell" within your adb session, you will now be dropped into the Ubuntu environment as the "root user"
  • Run the "apt-get update" command at the prompt
  • Run the "apt-get install openssh-server" command at the prompt
  • Run "ifconfig" on the prompt to return your current IP address
  • On your computer, open a SSH client and connect to the IP address. The username and password are both "phablet"
  • You may also use SCP to transfer files as well

Last edited:

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
we might need to turn this thread into a RC<----> NewBie Question/Answer thread in future. :good:

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
If u comment the OP will get a notification and update we can't keep creating new threads for the same thing also the last update was that long ago because there was nothing to update it with now the OS is released and we can

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

There is also a faq

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
What will become of the other thread then?

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

Not sure, it will probably be forgotten unless the OP updates it

PS Everyone : Sorry for the duplicate posts, one of the Mods advised I split it up into sections to make it easier. It is clear that it is is a lot of information for one single thread. They are going to group them all together in a few minutes.

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
Not sure, it will probably be forgotten unless the OP updates it

PS Everyone : Sorry for the duplicate posts, one of the Mods advised I split it up into sections to make it easier. It is clear that it is is a lot of information for one single thread. They are going to group them all together in a few minutes.

Well anyways can I add the what does not work to my thread here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159291

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Also to the OP u should add links to the other posts so that if someone opens up the thread they can click general use questions and be taken to that post directly :)

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Also to the OP u should add links to the other posts so that if someone opens up the thread they can click general use questions and be taken to that post directly :)

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

Yes, Ill do that now

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
IMHO all three threads needs to be pinned/sticky. If others users agree, we can request the mods to do so Cheers:)

Or even one particular thread
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: 3DSammy

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Nightly Builds
As of February 25th, 2013, the Ubuntu Team will be releasing nightly "pre-installed" images via the "phablet-tools" system for the Ubuntu Desktop. This is technically only for "Supported" devices however, not ports. This section will go over specifics to the Nightly Build Project.

Question : What Devices are supported in the Nightly Builds
Answer : (By Codename)

• Grouper (Nexus 7)
  • Maguro
  • Mako
  • Manta

Question : What Devices will be supported "Soon" via the Nightly Build Process?
Answer : Dont ask me to define "Soon"

• Motorola Xoom
  • All Galaxy Nexuses
  • ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity
  • ASUS Transformer Pad (TF101)
  • Sony Xperia S
  • Sony Xperia T
  • Samsung Galaxy SIII (international, VZW, AT&T)
  • Samsung Galaxy SII ((International)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Huawei Ascend G300
  • Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000)
  • Samsung Galaxy S SCL (GT-I90003)
  • HTC One X
  • HTC One XL
  • HTC One X+ (Multiple Versions)
  • Nexus One
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  • Although Not Official, the HTC HD2, that seems to get a port of EVERYTHING

Question : How do I update to the latest Nightly Builds on a Ubuntu Desktop.
Answer : First, on your Ubuntu Desktop, add/update the "phablet-team/tools" ppa ( via the "sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:phablet-team/tools" command at the Terminal ). Next, we need to make sure that we have the latest tools ( via the " sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install phablet-tools android-tools-* " command). Once the tools have been installed/Upgraded, connect the Nexus Device and run " sudo phablet-flash -l " (That is a lowercase "L") at the terminal and let the process run. If you are the sort of person who likes to Copy and Paste, here are the commands

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:phablet-team/tools
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install phablet-tools android-tools-*
phablet-flash -l
Question : How do I update to the latest Nightly Builds on a Ubuntu Touch Device
Answer : SSH into your tablet/phone as the "phablet" user. Once done, enter the following commands

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:phablet-team/ppa 
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
You will be prompted for the password, which is "phablet"

Question : Where is the Changelog?
Answer : The Web Based Changelog is located at http://phablet.ubuntu.com/gitweb for the Cyanogenmod Portions of the Source Tree.

Question : Is this build still filled with Filler Content?
Answer : Yes

Question : Is this build ready for use as a Daily Driver?
Answer : No, not much apears to have changed since the MWC Developer Preview.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamOutler

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,
    My goal is to constantly update this thread with the latest questions and answers in regards to the Ubuntu Touch. Expect this thread to grow quickly as more information is revealed.

General Questions
    Here is a list of some FAQs

Question : Why are the downloads so slow when I attempt to download the Ubuntu Touch Installer?
    Answer : Due to the overwhelming response to users installing the thread, the repos are seeing higher traffic loads then normal. This should balance out in a few days. The Ubuntu team is working to add more capacity to their network as well.

Question : Is Ubuntu Touch stable enough for a Daily Driver?
    Answer : No, most of the core "Applications" are non-functional . There is also no support for 3G Data

Question : When is a version stable enough for use as a Daily Driver going to be released?
    Answer : According to Mark Shuttleworth, "within a few weeks"

Question : What Devices can Ubuntu Touch Be Ported to?
    Answer : As the Ubuntu Touch Preview is simply running in a Cyanogenmod10.1 chroot, theoretically you can port Ubuntu Touch to any device that Cyanogemod 10.1 Supports. Development happened on ICS and eventually moved to JB. Keep in mind that performance may vary. Instructions to port Ubuntu Touch can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

Question : Since this is running in a Cyanogenmod chroot, can it run Native Android Apps?
    Answer : No - The Cyanogenmod Fork has been stripped of the Dalvik VM and all other components necessary to run Android Applications. There is a likely possibility that someone will develop a "bluestacks" like emulator to allow android applications to run, but this will most likely not come from the Ubuntu team.

Question : How will the Ubuntu Touch handle Operating System Upgrades?
    Answer : For the initial few developer previews, they will be moving to a nightly Jenkins build that developers will need to flash onto their device. Once they get on a stable release cycle, updates will be released via a PPA using the apt protocol. This will likely come with the launch of the Touch Ubuntu Software Center.

Question : Is dual booting possible?
    Answer : Yes, thanks to the effort of the people at XDA-Developers, Dual Booting is possible. With this said, this is not something that the Ubuntu Team has any intentions of officially supporting. While Ubuntu seems to encourage community efforts, they stress that they do not want this to become a feature that the end user will expect to see officially supported. (I bet you all wish you got the 32 GB Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 rather then the 16 GB)

Question : Is the Ubuntu Touch UI using X11 or Wayland?
    Answer : None of the Above. Ubuntu Touch is using the same Display Manager that is in use by Android, Display Flinger.

Question : Since Ubuntu Touch does not use X11 or Wayland, can it use native applications?
    Answer : This is technically possible and appears to be the case in the "Desktop" view.

Question : Can OpenGL Applications work without hooking into the Ubuntu Phone API
    Answer : Yes, the application would have full access to the OpenGL Stack.

Question : Are there plans to support the ARMv6 Architecture?
    Answer : No, they will only be supporting ARMv7 and above

Question : What Kernel is in Use?
    Answer : A modified Android Kernel is in use

Question : Will there be a PC based Device Emulator for developers to test their code?
    Answer : This is something that they are working on, no ETAs have been given.

Question : What about CDMA support?
    Answer : Fear Not Sprint and Verizon users, it is being worked on. The Ubuntu Team said that the GSM Radio is the global standard and this was simply where they focused most of their attention as all of the developers had GSM devices.

Question : Will Ubuntu be accepting merge requests for the Cyanogen10.1 sub system?
    Answer : Yes, this is encouraged.

Question : How is the Battery Life?
    Answer : Good but it will get better. They are working on several bugs with the Suspend Functions when the screen turns off. This will cause the battery to drain, even when the device appears to be off.

Question : Where is the Ubuntu chroot kept in relationship to Android?
    Answer : The Ubuntu filesystem and all applications are kept in /data/ubuntu . If you use adb to browse this, you will see a familiar filesystem layout that most Linux users are used to

Question : What Command Line Arguments are Available for the "phablet-flash" tool?
    Answer : Although this tool is poorly documented (no man page/only 2 flags are published), I did peek into the Python Source Code. Most of this should be useful for porters who want to use the same "phablet-flash" tool for unsupported devices. Here are the flags it accepts:

• -d (--device) Target Device to Deploy To
    • -s (--serial) Pulls the Device Serial Number, used to later run with the -d flag
    • -b (--bootstrap) Bootstraps the targeted device, only works with Nexus's and unlocked devices with fastboot.
    • -r (--revision) Chooses a specific build number to download
    • -l (--latest) Pulls the latest daily build from the server
    • -p (--base-path) Offline installer, requires that you maintain the same file structure as a -l would. (I assume this was used for the Ubuntu Demo at MWC)
    • -u (--url) Allows you to specify an alternate URI to download files from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sources : Ubuntu On Air/General Playing with the Software

Ill be adding more to this as more information comes up. Feel Free to PM me if you have any other questions and I will try to track down an answer. I have the Ubuntu release on my Nexus 10 and dont plan to remove it, so I am more then happy to do some poking around for you all who dont have a device.
    What Works and What Does Not Work
    Here is what I have found to work and what does not work

Question : What Works?
    Answer : As this is a Developer Build, dont expect much to work. The items that have been confirmed to work are;

• Touchscreen
    • Sound (over speakers)
    • Display
    • Pogo Power Plug Charging (Nexus 10)
    • Internet Browser
    • WiFi (No WPS)
    • Camera (Front and Back)
    • Video Player
    • ADB
    • Screen Brightness Controls
    • Automatic Brightness
    • Speech Driven HUD (Yes, it works)
    • GSM Voice (No APN Settings)
    • The SideStage Seems to be working

Question : What Does Not Work?
    Answer : As this is a developer build, dont expect things to work properly, here are a few things that are not working

• 3G/4G Data
    • Audio Out via Headphones
    • HDMI
    • Bluetooth
    • Most Applications and Menus
    • Desktop View
    • Charging Indicator
    • Software Center (Note : You can install simple shell applications via apt-get install ... once inside the chroot)
    • Most applications are placeholders
    • MMS
    • CDMA Connections
    • SIM Storage
    • Auto Rotation (Or any rotation for that matter)
    • Random Crashes when swiping
    • Notifications (All of them are placeholders)
    • Most Applications that do function are web apps like m.gmail.com.
    • NFC
    Question : What applications are functional?
    Answer : As this is a developer build, dont expect things to work properly, here are the applications that are working

• Gallery (and it is BEAUTIFUL)
    • Phone (Dialer, SMS, Address Book) - Note, the SMS and Dialer seem to be Outbound Only at the moment, waiting for people to confirm
    • Camera (Front and Back if you have more then one camera)
    • Browser (Limited/Buggy/No Flash)
    • Media Player (Movies Only)
    • Note Pad
    (Note : Many of these were only tested on a Nexus 10, I dont have a Nexus 4 to test on and I want to keep Android on the Nexus 7)
    General Use Questions
    There is currently limited amount of documentation available on how to use this Operating System. This section should help you learn to navigate the OS.

Question : What username and password do I use to login on the Main Screen
    Answer : Select the "Guest" account. If you want to login as a user, you may select ANY user on the device, the password is the first name in all lowercase (lola, toomas, anna) aside from the differnt background images, ALL accounts are identical and have the same content.

Question : What username and password do I use to login via SSH
    Answer : If you have installed the OpenSSH Server on your Ubuntu Touch Build, use "phablet" as both the username and password. SSH can be accessed over WiFi or ADB TCP Forwarding.

Question : What is the sudo password
    Answer : If you are prompted for the sudo password, enter "phablet"

Question : XXX Function or Feature does not seem to be working

Question : Wireless Data does not work

Question : Now that I have ADB working, how do I access the Ubuntu chroot
    Answer : You must be running adb as root ("adb root") prior to running an adb shell. Once you have ran the ADB shell, run the following command to enter the Ubuntu Chroot

ubuntu_chroot shell

You will now be dropped into a console on the Ubuntu chroot.

Question : How do I set the time zone?
    Answer : In the current build, the Time zone must be set via command line. You can view the correct Timezone Values by using nano (or vi) to view /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab . I reside in Miami, which uses the "America/New_York" Zone. Once you have identified your zone, run the following commands via SSH

echo "America/New_York" > /etc/timezone
    dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata

Question : How do I close an Application that I have opened (In the full pain or side stage)

1. Once in the Application, open the HUD by holding your finger at the bottom edge of the display and dragging your finger up to the middle (Think : Google-Now)
    2. Select the "Icon" of the App you wish to control (there may be more then 1 depending on the number of applications that are running.
    3. Select the "X" at the bottom right corner.
    Note : Most of the menu options are non-functional, only close. Applications closed in this manner will no longer show up in your "Running Applications" list. It seems there are placeholders to switch sidestage applications and move an application into the sidestage, none appear to be working.

Question : How do I setup the Openssh server inside of Ubuntu

• Ensure the Tablet is connected to WiFi and connected to your computer via USB
    • On a computer, start adb as root by running "adb root" on a command line
    • Use adb to open a console into the device by running "adb shell"
    • Enter the Ubuntu chroot by running "ubuntu_chroot shell" within your adb session, you will now be dropped into the Ubuntu environment as the "root user"
    • Run the "apt-get update" command at the prompt
    • Run the "apt-get install openssh-server" command at the prompt
    • Run "ifconfig" on the prompt to return your current IP address
    • On your computer, open a SSH client and connect to the IP address. The username and password are both "phablet"
    • You may also use SCP to transfer files as well
    This thread will stay here, especially since it touches specifically on what Canonical has said themselves, as well as what has come out of the Hangout.
    Well anyways can I add the what does not work to my thread here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159291

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

Sure, go ahead