[Q] With rooting available, any benefit in running a custom rom?

Search This thread

Pleiades7

Jan 21, 2014
This is such a unique advice given it's a micro console, insofar as when compared to other android devices.

But to maximize gaming performance, would there be a benefit of installing a custom rom?

Quick questions:
1) Like most android devices, does anyone know if this device comes under clocked (in the factory default sense)?

2) Would over clocking this device yield any benefits? hoping it would help smooth out N64 and PSX emulation.

3) Would it be wiser to just stick with the MOJO OS and just wait until an official update (kitkat) to root it? to install the over clocking apps, etc.

4) Is an update actually coming or is this wishful thinking on our parts?lol

Seems like there are so many possibilities for this neat little console. Hoping this device isn't too DOA given that they've priced themselves out of the market and the OUYA craze (whatever little fad it was) seems to be fading fast.

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
1. There are almost always benefits to custom ROMs....They usually are built for performance, and custom kernels make the world go 'round.

2. There is no problem with PSX emulation (FPSE is perfect on every game I've tried), and the problem with N64 emulation comes down to optimizing the app for the hardware....So I don't think overclocking would solve anything with N64. N64 games run the same on my old Tegra 2 as they do on my Tegra 3 as they do on my MOJO. It's not a fault of the hardware being inadequate.

3. Why wait for an update to root? There's always the chance you would lose root when updating, but there's an equal chance that you wouldn't be able to re-root after the update.

4. I imagine there will be at least one major update to KitKat...Possibly in Q2 or Q3.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
For obvious reasons I can't talk to question 2 other than to strongly recommend that you don't overclock - indeed, it's worth repeating here that of course rooting your device does invalidate your warranty. Unlike a lot of Android devices which have battery performance to worry about, M.O.J.O. is not underclocked at all - as we're purely running from the mains there's no reason to do so and there's a massive heatsink in there to prevent thermal issues resulting in reduced performance too.

We are looking to provide an update to KitKat but we'll update on that as and when it's closer to realisation.

scorpio16v

Oct 3, 2006
www.youtube.com
Things, you can do now to boost performance is, to set the governor from "interactive" to "performance" and set the min clock speed to 1800 MHz.
Brings some nice boost in benchmarks, but can't really say, that you get a real benefit in gaming.

I believe, that custom kernels and ROMs are not as easy as we think. You see, that even with the fastboot root method, there is no other way to reboot, as to unplug the cables.
So, that means, if I'm not wrong, that you can't temporarily boot/test custom kernels or recoveries.

But maybe someone will find a solution for this... :)