[Q] Xperia Z T-Mobile Questions

Search This thread

marcviado

Aug 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Thinking of getting an xperia z tmobile variant. But have acouple questions before i get it.first question is what current android version is the tmobile version on? Any news/update on 4.3 or any talk of 4.4? And how is battery life on the z?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Thinking of getting an xperia z tmobile variant. But have acouple questions before i get it.first question is what current android version is the tmobile version on? Any news/update on 4.3 or any talk of 4.4? And how is battery life on the z?

The current version for the T-Mobile branded Sony Xperia Z is 4.2.2 and there really is no talk of 4.3. So you can just throw the idea of 4.4 out the window might have to wait 2+ years for that. I made the mistake of NOT buying the international version. Oh and the bootloader will be locked so also forget about custom roms. And if you flash 4.3 to a T-mobile branded device you will lose 4G and be stuck with 3G and LTE. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION.

p.s oh the battery life is about the same on all Xperia Z's

Reactions: knicks20828

Dhickory

Jul 9, 2010

The current version for the T-Mobile branded Sony Xperia Z is 4.2.2 and there really is no talk of 4.3. So you can just throw the idea of 4.4 out the window might have to wait 2+ years for that. I made the mistake of NOT buying the international version. Oh and the bootloader will be locked so also forget about custom roms. And if you flash 4.3 to a T-mobile branded device you will lose 4G and be stuck with 3G and LTE. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION.

On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.

V3TTOO

Oct 10, 2012
San Francisco
I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

How did you flash a ROM with a locked bootloader? Thought that couldn't be done, or is that only custom ROMs?

Dhickory

Jul 9, 2010
How did you flash a ROM with a locked bootloader? Thought that couldn't be done, or is that only custom ROMs?

As long as they are based off of Sony's stock firmware you can flash away. You just can't flash anything AOSP related like CM, AOKP, PA, etc... as these require custom kernels and such.

Reactions: V3TTOO

marcviado

Aug 7, 2010
Las Vegas
On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.

Thanks..I know I'm late and all but I'm a new owner of a tmobile Xperia z lol. As far as rooting and such not sure if I'll be doing that again as the bootloader is locked.but in time I might have the urge to root lol

Jan 30, 2014

When i flashed 4.3 On my xperia even with the correct APN's it only said 3G in areas that i got 4G with on the t-mobile firmware. And areas where i got 4g LTE it only said 4G.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49903217 Heres my thread

If you could help me out that would be great

knicks20828

Sep 25, 2013
Hello guys, I just got My xperia Z for tmobile and I want to flash 4.3, is there a good guide to do this? I've looked all over xda and I am very very Confused how to do it. Thanks so much.

Sent from my C6606 using xda app-developers app

knicks20828

Sep 25, 2013

If you don't mind me asking you how you did this flashing?? I've been asking around for about a month and no one seems to reply or know how to, if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it, Still no ota for 4.3 and im tired of waiting.

Sent from my C6606 using xda app-developers app

Dhickory

Jul 9, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As long as they are based off of Sony's stock firmware you can flash away. You just can't flash anything AOSP related like CM, AOKP, PA, etc... as these require custom kernels and such.