Guide Wifi Ad Hoc Working Samsung 10.1v

Search This thread

blicht10069

Jun 18, 2010
Just thought of something. I have juicedefender set to turn off 3g when my phones screen turns off. This could cut connectivity without dropping wifi signal. Will test theory tomorrow...

I don't think so. I'm not running JuiceDefender or any other task killer/battery saver. Plus, this is the wifi only version so there isn't a 3g to kill.

I have tried looking at the details of the /dev/main log

cat /dev/log/main | grep wpa​

but I don't see anything obvious. To me it looks like there is some type of failure that puts it back into scanning mode.

The original version of wpa_supplicant is version 0.6.10. I don't know if a new version of this must be patched to work right. If someone has a non-wifi only version of the system and can get the version number of their original wpa_supplicant file this might yield some information.

rickyq12

Jul 31, 2010
Austin, TX
After doing this WPA supplicant zip thing...will this effect my wifi network(at home) in any way?

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

makbil

Sep 4, 2008
Bodrum
Here is the original wpa_supplicant from my device, maybe it will help but I don't think this is the one responsible for this issue.

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant.rar
    144.1 KB · Views: 154

blicht10069

Jun 18, 2010
Here is the original wpa_supplicant from my device, maybe it will help but I don't think this is the one responsible for this issue.

Well this is a little interesting. Your version is the same 0.6.10, but the file size of you wpa_supplicant is 4.1K smaller than the original version on my galaxy tab 10.1

I used your file and it works fine on my system, but of course, this is your original file, so it doesn't solve the issue of connecting to an ad-hoc wifi.

Thank you, though for supplying the file, its a step in solving this mystery.

nick7920

Dec 28, 2007
I have 10.1 (USA version) NOT v , and I used the file from this post I have no problem keeping the connection.

capufo

Jul 13, 2011
Same here, but I did have the wifi problem with the first file but no with the second.

MaliaSleight

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle
My tablet is wifi only. Perhaps this is the issue. Has anyone gotten this to work who has a wifi only tablet (retail edition)?

Works for me with rooted retail 32GB wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1. Of course, I spent about two hours poking around in another forum about connecting the older Galaxy Tab to an ad hoc network before I realized I was in the wrong forum. Doh!

SnarfSnarf

Jul 26, 2011
So far working on Retail 10.1 using the file and instructions from the first thread- drnackers.
I have been using it all day with "wireless tether for root users" (using my phone as a makeshift router) running on my Android phone (adhoc mode) and also cifs client connected to a network share on my desktop streaming files to test it out.
Works fine after reboot, no disconnects all day,

I show a asterisks in front of the network name.

10.1 retail, rooted, locked bootloader,
Thanks to all.

Last edited:

shdowman

Oct 28, 2010
You are my hero.

We are going on an 8 hour road trip and I wanted my kids to be able to watch movies on the tab on the way via youtube.

This was my first time using ADB and after a little tinkering (and READING) got it all sorted and am connected to my 10.1 via barnacle on my Fascinate.

Cheers for the easy read through!!

dmlee

Sep 8, 2010
works great on my retail 10.1,wifi only, 16 gb, locked bootloader tab. im using the op's supplicant file, and im tethering from an epic 4g using wireless tether.

thanks to everyone who contributed !

tagorecb

Sep 30, 2010
How can i do this only using the root explorer? I think i can't do this with the adb. Gtab 10.1 only wifi rooted.

Thanks

Fredcerqueira

Aug 17, 2011
I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
these are commands and responses

>adb shell
root@android:/ # su
su
root@android:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
chmod 777 /system
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
chmod 777 /system/bin
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
root@android:/ # exit
exit
exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
su
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
chmod 755 /system/bin
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
chmod 755 /system
exit
exit

Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..

hhhppp

Oct 10, 2008
Minnesota
Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..

Buy Root Explorer from Market.
Copy wpa_supplicant into your Tab root.
Unplug your tab and turn the wifi off
Run Root Explorer.
Open sdcard folder. Find the wpa_supplicant where you put it.
Press and hold the wpa_supplicant file then copy it.
Hit Go back arrow then open system folder and open bin folder.
Hit Mount R/W on the top. Then hit Paste button at the bottom
Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755 (open link below before set permission)
then hit Mount R/W again
reboot
Turn the wifi on
enjoy

File Permissions Calculator:
http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/whatchmod.html

Last edited:
Reactions: kuryaky

hhhppp

Oct 10, 2008
Minnesota
How can i do this only using the root explorer? I think i can't do this with the adb. Gtab 10.1 only wifi rooted.

Thanks

Run Root Explorer.
Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755
then hit Mount R/W again
reboot
Turn the wifi on
enjoy

Set permission 755:

Last edited:
Reactions: kuryaky

Bashed

Sep 9, 2011
Tidy up

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
X X
X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!

jimini78

Sep 12, 2011
Birmingham
Hello.
Thanks for the guide, it's very useful.

I'm having trouble uploading data when my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is connected to my ad-hoc connection (Joikuspot on N8).

I cannot upload more than a few kb's of data.
Emails just sit in the outbox and I cannot login to some websites.
If I visit speedtest.net - the upload speed test fails.

Neither the iPad, iMac or Windows 7 laptop have this problem when tethered to the same ad-hoc connection.

Has anyone got any suggestions where to start solving this problem?

James.

drizzle67

Jul 21, 2010
Modesto
Thanks for the tutorial! worked perfectly! and just in time, as i am taking a four hour trip, and now i can tether from my phone! :D Worked perfectly!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

I have just gotten Wifi Ad Hoc connection working in the Samsung 10.1v (don't see why it won't work on the 10.1 either)

You need to have adb installed and your Tablet needs to be rooted.

I used 2 threads as reference for making this work:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1069569

and
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033314

As a newbie to this i will show you what i did, maybe someone can clean up the process with a simple approach:

You need to turn on Airplane mode to disable wifi, or you will get an error when trying to copy the wpa_supplicant file later on in the instructions...

I had trouble with the adb push command (shown in the above threads) so I did this instead.
    Unzip and copy wpa_supplicant file (attached) to Tablet (I used downloads directory)

Get ES File Explorer from Market
    Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options.
    Set Root Explorer and use HiAPK
    Then Tick Mount File System, then exit menu and navigate to /system/bin and copy wpa_supplicant to somewhere safe (I made backup directory in storage/ sd memory)
    Now copy new wpa_supplicant file from where you saved it (downloads directory) to /system/bin

Now in windows command box type:
    adb shell
    # su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    # chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
    # exit

Now reboot and turn off airplane mode and enjoy.

Usual conditions if you follow this and something bad happens please don't blame me i used the above method (with trial and error) which worked for me (but maybe i just got lucky)
    Also I want to acknowledge the hard working devs that pioneered the process and created the file - great work!!

Good luck...
    Tidy up

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
    Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
    X X
    X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!
    I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
    I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
    I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    these are commands and responses

>adb shell
    su
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
    chmod 777 /system
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
    chmod 777 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    exit
    exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
    su
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
    chmod 755 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
    chmod 755 /system
    exit
    exit
    Hi All,

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15096858&postcount=9

Well, I was looking in the wrong place. For people with 10.1 (non V) and WIFI only this link above links to the appropriate wpa_supplicant file to use for replacement. This works stabily on my tab.

Ben

Run Root Explorer.
    Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755 (open link below before set permission)
    then hit Mount R/W again
    reboot
    Turn the wifi on
    enjoy

File Permissions Calculator:
    http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/whatchmod.html