[Q] stock rooted Lollipop OTA fails?

Search This thread

moriarty00

Aug 31, 2010
All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have a Nexus 4 that I rooted and installed CWM recovery on, but I never installed any new kernels, ROMs, or radios. I'm currently on 4.4.4 and I want to upgrade to Lollipop. The OTA upgrade failed. So I tried returning to stock recovery and doing both the OTA and adb sideloading the OTA zip. Both fail.

The error message is "Package expects build fingerprint of google/occam/mako:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys or google/occam/mako:5.0/LRX21T/1576899:user/release-keys; this device has google/occam/mako:4.4/KRT160/907817:user/release-keys." (But I definitely have 4.4.4 on my phone, not 4.4.0.)

The extra difficulty is that I really, really do not want to wipe my phone. I have a lot of apps with a lot of configuration and other user data. So is there anything I can do? I guess I should try unrooting somehow? Or is there some other zip I can download that, through some type of recovery, will install the OTA without doing this check and also without wiping me?

Thanks again!

venu123

Mar 6, 2013
All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have a Nexus 4 that I rooted and installed CWM recovery on, but I never installed any new kernels, ROMs, or radios. I'm currently on 4.4.4 and I want to upgrade to Lollipop. The OTA upgrade failed. So I tried returning to stock recovery and doing both the OTA and adb sideloading the OTA zip. Both fail.

The error message is "Package expects build fingerprint of google/occam/mako:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys or google/occam/mako:5.0/LRX21T/1576899:user/release-keys; this device has google/occam/mako:4.4/KRT160/907817:user/release-keys." (But I definitely have 4.4.4 on my phone, not 4.4.0.)

The extra difficulty is that I really, really do not want to wipe my phone. I have a lot of apps with a lot of configuration and other user data. So is there anything I can do? I guess I should try unrooting somehow? Or is there some other zip I can download that, through some type of recovery, will install the OTA without doing this check and also without wiping me?

Thanks again!
OTA wants complete stock and obviously it doesn't think so about your phone. One option could be to back up to the cloud or some place outside the phone with TiBu (or whatever backup app you trust), then flash lollipop and try restore from TiBu. Another option would be to unroot (Supersu has an option to completely unroot), then retry.

Reactions: trees247

moriarty00

Aug 31, 2010
Actually, I figured out what works! This was on a stock rooted device with stock recovery, but I bet it would work with custom recovery too. Instructions modified from https://pay.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1qny3f/howto_update_your_stock_w_lte_nexus_4_without/ .

1. Download the image you want from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images . Extract it, extract the .zip file inside it too, and collect all of the .img files into one folder.
2. adb reboot bootloader (and wait until the bootloader comes up)
3. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30f.img (or whatever file has a similar name, if you got a different image than I did)
4. fastboot reboot-bootloader (and wait until the bootloader comes back up)
5. fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.04.img (or whatever file has a similar name, if you got a different image than I did)
6. fastboot reboot-bootloader (and wait until the bootloader comes back up)
7. fastboot flash boot boot.img
8. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. fastboot flash system system.img
10. fastboot format cache
11. fastboot reboot
12. Don't panic unless you've seen the startup animation for at least 15 minutes without anything else happening.

I lost root, but I imagine re-custom-recoverying and re-rooting won't be any harder than the first time around.

DrDruge

Sep 18, 2013
Hi moriarty00,
I'm going to try the same procedure, thank you for posting this.
Can you confirm that your data and app are safe after the upgrade?

tommyhj

Jul 17, 2009
Actually, I figured out what works! This was on a stock rooted device with stock recovery, but I bet it would work with custom recovery too. Instructions modified from https://pay.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1qny3f/howto_update_your_stock_w_lte_nexus_4_without/ .

1. Download the image you want from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images . Extract it, extract the .zip file inside it too, and collect all of the .img files into one folder.
3. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz30f.img (or whatever file has a similar name, if you got a different image than I did)
5. fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1701.04.img (or whatever file has a similar name, if you got a different image than I did)
11. fastboot reboot
12. Don't panic unless you've seen the startup animation for at least 15 minutes without anything else happening.

I lost root, but I imagine re-custom-recoverying and re-rooting won't be any harder than the first time around.

Wow, a 12-step program :)

I simply rolled back my changes, and applying the OTA was as simple as pressing the "restart and install" button :D Here are some steps:

1. I used the app Flashify from Play Store to flash stock 4.4.4 recovery. I downloaded the stock factory image from google's own site (this one), used 7zip to extract the archives (tgz and tar), found "recovery.img" and transfered that to my phone. Then chose that file in Flashify.
  2. Uninstalled all apps that made system changes, like Xposed framework and mods, BetterBatteryStats etc.
  3. Removed Root with SuperSU cleanup function
  4. Rebooted for good measure and apply OTA from notification - wait an hour or two for it to complete
  5. Profit (do we still say that on the internet? Getting old here...)

I don't know if certain ways to get root will break the OTA. I used towel-root, and apparently SuperSU was able to undo that completely.

trees247

Nov 15, 2010
OTA wants complete stock and obviously it doesn't think so about your phone. One option could be to back up to the cloud or some place outside the phone with TiBu (or whatever backup app you trust), then flash lollipop and try restore from TiBu. Another option would be to unroot (Supersu has an option to completely unroot), then retry.

If I unroot with Supersu how do I get root back?

DrDruge

Sep 18, 2013
Yup, perfectly safe! Just make sure not to flash other images, like userdata.img.

Thank you!
Unfortunately the steps did not work for me, maybe I had some irreversible modifications or I had followed a different rooting procedure.
Or maybe I made a mistake in the upgrading steps.
Anyway, I had to flash the whole ROM and now everything is working fine.

Grigorij

Dec 28, 2008
Hey!

Basically I have similar problem with upgrading from 4.4.4 to 5.0 using OTA. Log from TWRP says:
Package expects build fingerprint of google/occam/mako:4.4.4/KTU84P/1227136:user/release-keys or google/occam/mako:5.0/LRX21T/1576899:user/release-keys; this device has google/occam/mako:4.3/JWR66V/737497:user/release-keys.

Phone has been rooted using Nexus Root Toolkit. And as long as there wouldn't be a problem with flashing using adb and wiping all data, there is one setback... My nexus is somehow broken. Communication via USB does not work, at all. Neither phone nor PC sees other device. Certified LG service centre nearby said that it is problem with main board, so generally repair is unprofitable.

So question is: How do I update to 5.0 and then root, without USB connection to my PC? ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

11. fastboot reboot

All,

Thanks again!