LG G2 critical bug regarding signal

Search This thread

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Hi,

I think I discovered what seems to be a critical software bug regarding the signal of the LG G2 in weak signal environments.

In my house, the signal is generally very weak. However, it is usable. But when the phone shows 0 bars of signal due to it being placed in a very weak signal spot or hands covering the antenna, the signal strength never comes back and my number cannot be called until I take one of the following actions:

If I turn the Wi-Fi off, the signal comes back instantly. If I make a call, the signal comes back instantly and I can make the call. And if I turn the airplane mode on and then off, the signal reappears.

This has never happened on my Nexus 4, and it only happens inside my house where I have a weak signal.

Any ideas regarding the resolution of this ? Can I boost the signal sensitivity from somewhere in a secret menu ?

I hope that this issue will be solved in an upcoming update, but I can't be sure.

PS: I am running the International version of the G2, on Vodafone Romania.

Last edited:

DaveHTC200

Oct 2, 2008
I have seen a similar issue at times, on international version!

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: 4Freedom

mm79k

Jul 15, 2006
I have no issues with my D802.

Coming out of the elevator at work (where I usually lose the signal) the phone connects automatically every single time.

Reactions: 4Freedom

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
I have no issues with my D802.

Coming out of the elevator at work (where I usually lose the signal) the phone connects automatically every single time.

Of course. My phone also reconnects every time after a no-signal area, this situation is probably well-tested by LG. The problem only seems to occur in an area with a constant weak signal.

kcharng

Jul 3, 2010
bangkok
Hi,

There are options in wifi setting that may help especially the low signal setting. Have you play around with it?

vudagaga.jpg

-LG G2

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Hi,

There are options in wifi setting that may help especially the low signal setting. Have you play around with it?

vudagaga.jpg

-LG G2

Yes I did, altered both those settings and nothing improved.

However, I did a factory reset today and I couldn't reproduce the problem anymore, until now it appeared at least 2-3 times daily, there are a few hours with no problems already. But I'm not convinced that the problem is solved.

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
You aren't by chance seeing the signal drop off because of Wi-fi calling are you? I noticed the signal dropping completely when I was connected to my home network, then realized the Wi-Fi calling feature takes over for calls, textxs etc.. If I turn wifi off, it comes right back, similar to what you're seeing, though our circumstances may be different. Reception at my place is spotty at best as well and sometimes I'm roaming on at&t and other times I'm on a native tmobile tower.

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
You aren't by chance seeing the signal drop off because of Wi-fi calling are you? I noticed the signal dropping completely when I was connected to my home network, then realized the Wi-Fi calling feature takes over for calls, textxs etc.. If I turn wifi off, it comes right back, similar to what you're seeing, though our circumstances may be different. Reception at my place is spotty at best as well and sometimes I'm roaming on at&t and other times I'm on a native tmobile tower.

No, it's definitely a signal issue. I put a prepaid SIM card in it from another phone operator. The signal is much stronger and I don't have any signal drop problems anymore. The only problem is that I am tied by contract to the first operator, so this is only good for testing.

rob77

Jan 7, 2011
I have just had this problem twice today. I was in a low signal area and the bars showed a red x next to them with emergency calls only. I went to another area i know has strong signal but it didnt reconnect like it should. Eventually it came back after about 25 mins but it should come straight back and not leave me without use of my phone for that length of time. I never had this problem with my s3!

mcmanuf

Aug 13, 2009
I have a serious problem with my phone

I have just had this problem twice today. I was in a low signal area and the bars showed a red x next to them with emergency calls only. I went to another area i know has strong signal but it didnt reconnect like it should. Eventually it came back after about 25 mins but it should come straight back and not leave me without use of my phone for that length of time. I never had this problem with my s3!

I also have very critical bug with my LG G2 international version reception quality.
I have never experienced the same problems with Galaxy S3

It seems to loose network connectivity, it seems randomly, bit happens more often when wifi is turned on :(
And also if I use the network actively it happens more often :(

I have sent it in for reparis (after only having it for 5 days) and my retailer sent it to LG themselves. They have checked the phone and say it passes all tests :(
Now I have also ordered a new SIM card, but the problem persists. The first day I lost signal 11 times. The last days I have lost it maybe 2-7 times a day.

It takes approx 1 minute to find signal after it has been lost :(

metalboy94

May 12, 2011
Bucharest
Am gasit o problema relativ similara cu semnalul pe al meu - uneori, cand deschid ecranul, metrul de semnal arata 0 cateva secunde si apoi full. Sunt pe Orange.

I found a rather similar problem on my phone - sometimes, when I turn the screen on, the signal meter shows 0 bars then full signal. Found on Orange Romania.

goran60

Dec 9, 2010
Novi sad
I had a similar problem with the Desire HD, but when I changed ADEQUATE RADIO.IMG things have come on their own and the problem did not appear. However, now the problem of international LG G2 is repeated as in the posts in the above men. This leads me to the conclusion that with the next update and new radio.img things come into its own.
Hopefully, that will happen.
Could experienced developers who advertise on this topic to get involved and contribute and help.
thank you

Digilz

Nov 26, 2013
Hi.

I just went online looking for an answer to this very same problem because I got fed up with my LG G2 losing its signal several times a day (and at ridiculously sensitive times). So I cam across this forum.

I got this POS of a smartphone less than a month ago after doing a bit of research and have been contemplating doing one of two things to resolve this issue: A- throw the damn thing against the wall and hope it smashes into a few hundred pieces because I'm that peeved, or B- take it in for repairs because LG should probably stick to making TVs and quit competing with real cell phone manufacturers when it's not their game to play anyway. Either option would be a total inconvenience as you could imagine.

Since I spent considerable cash on this poor gimmick and waste of raw materials that could have been better utilized making door handles or key chains, I am stuck trying to recover what is ultimately a write off of nearly $585. Afterall, what's a phone if it has no signal?! Everyone went ahead and got a Samsung or an iPhone, but I had to stick out like a sore thumb and get this signal-losing second class (G2) of a phone.

If mighty LG can't sort this out, can anyone on this forum possibly give a hand or shed some light on an alternative option to the above so we can at least feel the $585 didn't completely go to waste? I have a strong signal nearly everywhere I go, but little Mr. G decides to have a nap when it's convenient for him, not me.

Thanks.

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
I'm on Verizon in the States & I don't see that issue at all.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

NakkM

Jun 20, 2012
same issue

3 hours with no signal here, in the meantime on the GS4 (same operator)...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 3,075

metalboy94

May 12, 2011
Bucharest
Had a dropped call today while sitting in a shopping mall. I took the phone from my ear and noticed the empty signal bar, which then became a full bar.

So what's it gonna be, software or hardware fault?

MTM

Oct 18, 2007
Copenhagen
Same issue in Denmark on D802

I also have this issue. It seems to drop the signal randomly a couple of times a day even though the signal strength is fine before and after the signal drop. It usually reconnects pretty quickly, but sometimes it take several minutes. Today, after being in the basement (where the signal is weak) it had dropped the signal and hadn't reconnected after 5 minutes being outside where the signal should be fine. I restarted the phone and it reconnected...

I don't know if this is related, but I have also experienced several times that it drops calls randomly (and I'm not big on calling), even though it still seems to have a good connection. The call just suddenly disconnects and since it has happened while talking to at least three different people I'm pretty sure the issue is on my end.

My operator (Bibob in Denmark) has recently added LTE to their network, but seeing as others have had similar issues with the phone I don't think the network is the issue. I didn't have these issues with the Samsung Galaxy S on the same network (albeit before they got LTE).

By the way, I have almost always WiFi turned off, so that shouldn't have influence on my issues.

I would think it's a software issue since a restart seems to make it reconnect, so I'm crossing my fingers either LG soon comes out with an update or some clever developer can solve this.

PearLRoX

Oct 18, 2012
βelgium
same issue here in belgium with my D802 10a :(

dont know what to do .. i had this problem also with my S4 so i change to LG G2 AND i change from operator..also new simcard :crying: (it drains allot of battery on low signal and signal searching..)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

vudagaga.jpg

-LG G2
    Hi,

I think I discovered what seems to be a critical software bug regarding the signal of the LG G2 in weak signal environments.

In my house, the signal is generally very weak. However, it is usable. But when the phone shows 0 bars of signal due to it being placed in a very weak signal spot or hands covering the antenna, the signal strength never comes back and my number cannot be called until I take one of the following actions:

If I turn the Wi-Fi off, the signal comes back instantly. If I make a call, the signal comes back instantly and I can make the call. And if I turn the airplane mode on and then off, the signal reappears.

This has never happened on my Nexus 4, and it only happens inside my house where I have a weak signal.

Any ideas regarding the resolution of this ? Can I boost the signal sensitivity from somewhere in a secret menu ?

I hope that this issue will be solved in an upcoming update, but I can't be sure.

PS: I am running the International version of the G2, on Vodafone Romania.
    It sounds like it's working as intended. Wait -- before you lynch/stone me, here's what I mean.

First off, and I mean it sincerely, it does suck that the G2 does not perform as you might expect in low signal areas and that some feel that it is a piece of junk under those circumstances. I can understand that.

But look at it this way... in a decent signal area, the phone probably checks for signal at regular intervals (which varies by device), pretend for this example it's every 30 seconds. If the user is in a low to no signal area, and the last ten checks every 30 seconds still had no signal or low signal, "odds are" that the next signal check 30 seconds from now isn't going to be much different. So, the phone might increase the interval before checking again, to maybe every two minutes. Why? To conserve the battery, checking every 30 seconds (in the example) uses a certain amount of battery power. Checking more often would use more, less often would use less, and checking at current interval is "likely" pointless (not necessarily true but has merit).

So it may have increased it's interval to like every 10 minutes (again, just a made up example), and now you step outside the house and into a good signal area. But wait, it's still zero bars when there should be full bars, arrrgggghhhh!!!! Well, my long winded example is just to illustrate that it might be on it's 10 minute signal check interval. However, doing anything with the radio's (wifi on/off, airplane mode, make a call, etc.) will be enough to trigger it to recheck signal now.

I may have oversimplified it but I believe that this is a layman's explanation of what is happening. So to answer the hardware/software question... software.

You obviously have not read the thread and what it's about. This problem isn't exhibiting itself in low signal areas as you've suggested. This problem happens everywhere. From your post it seems you think the rest of us are stupid and have no clue what's going on. As if this is our first phone, so when we see something like this we go running and screaming "ahhhhh my phone has no signal, it must be a bug!!!" If I sound heated that's because I am, had you taken the time to read what was said, you'd understand that this is a problem that exhibits itself with ONLY the G2. Did you see that a few posts back a user actually uploaded a picture of his G2 side-by-side with his GS4 and the GS4 has signal with no problems? Did you bother reading what I stated? That for me it happens AFTER I made a phone call and hung up. Which means I HAVE signal. This happens when I'm AT the AT&T store. Why do you think they're willing to swap out 3 different phones for me? This problem happens in my house where AT ALL TIMES I get 4GLTE signal, EVERYWHERE in my house. It ONLY happens after I hang up from a phone call. There's a GS4 and an iPhone 5 in my house also, THEY'RE FINE. They don't lose signal after a phone call. And it only happens SOMETIMES, which means it's not a signal issue. If this area HAD a signal issue, it would happen ALL THE TIME or at least damn near close to it.

People like you just piss me off, before you make a comment, EDUCATE yourself on the the topic, then THINK BEFORE you write. Don't know how you can open your mouth and talk about low signal areas when a few posts back somebody actually uploaded a picture of their G2 side-by-side with a GS4. Nobody said this phone is a piece of junk in any circumstances. Obviously we love our phone and that's why we're here, to find out if it's a bug with the phone itself, software, whatever. Because we want to keep our phones. Do you happen to work in a carrier's wireless store by any chance? You sound like what the employees of those stores would say.

Tell you what, I'll even link the picture for you:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2448738&d=1386794259

And to the user above this idiot, yeah so far judging from this thread I'd say it happens only to GSM users... but as in the picture above, it happens while on Wi-Fi and also on 4GLTE... so I'm not sure what the problem is. Something funky with the radio I would think, or in the hand-off somewhere after it finishes with a phone call in my case. As I said in my previous posts, it's happened to 3 of the 4 D800s I've had. Had it been an isolated incident or had it ALSO happened to my first G2 I'd be inclined to believe it's some sort of bug with all GSM models. But because it's happened to 3 different phones, bone stock out of the box without so much as even entering in a Google account or anything, yet didn't happen to my original... I don't know what to think. It happens on AT&T's original firmware D80010d AND the update D80010o. So far it seems THIS THREAD is the only place I've been able to find on the internet that even talks about this problem. So this problem might not be widespread.
    Tips?

Hello everyone.

I recently got an ATT D800 LG G2 after having a Moto X for a while. I love this phone but the signal strengh on GSM 900Mhz and 850 Mhz is bad on low-med signal areas.

In my opinion this mobile has been optimized for LTE signals, and it has also 4 bands...but in my coutry (Cuba) we use just GSM 850/900 Mhz...sooooo

while the signal is low, there is an algorithm, in the RADIO/RIL that promotes the use of a prefered network...LTE, 4G, 3G or whatever...The result is that from 2 bars, instead of staying at 2 bars it goes to no signal...searches in LTE, 4G, 3G and all the bands, and after noticing no other choice goes back to 900mhz with two bars....and the loops goes again, causing problems on low signal areas..

I am sure the is some job we can do on build.prop to "disable" the kind of network we don't have, in order to prevent nonsense network searches. " http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=595108 "

I hope some of you, after reading this can give us all further and most usefull tips.

Best regards to all!
    I have seen a similar issue at times, on international version!

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app