[Q] Unable to OTA update after HTCDev Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

xenor

Sep 27, 2007
Omaha, NE
It's been awhile since I've messed with ROMs, and much has changed. I think I might have bit off more than I can chew, but hopefully it's a quick fix. I've been trying to scan for solutions, but so far no luck.

About a week ago I decided I was tired of avoiding apps that had crazy permissions and decided to get root on my phone so I could use AppOpps. I went through the HTCDev route and unlocked the bootloader. I got stuck when firewater, temproot & Weaksauce wouldn't work.

So, I relocked the bootloader (shows **relocked**) and figured I'd wait until someone pushed an updated tool. Got an OTA notice, and now I can't update the software. The update fails about 1/3 of the way through, going from green circled arrows to red triangled exclamation.

I've tried using fastboot to push the OTA ROM, but have had no success. I can flash the newest firmware successfully (as noted here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2766604), but still no joy on the OEM ROM.

Do I really have to go to the trouble of flashing older firmware, downgrading the HBoot and ROM to an older version, etc.. to get up and running with a **locked** phone that will get OTA update?

Such a PITA to get control over my data/permissions.

Thanks in advance for help.

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Weaksauce does not work on the Sprint variants.
I would give Firewater another shot as s-off will save you headaches like this down the road. I would also suggest doing it before you update HTC has a way of making thing harder for us with every OTA.
If your phone is inoperable at the moment use this guide to get up and running.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2503646

Reactions: xenor

xenor

Sep 27, 2007
Omaha, NE
Phone is working OK

I would give Firewater another shot as s-off will save you headaches like this down the road. I would also suggest doing it before you update HTC has a way of making thing harder for us with every OTA.

So far, the phone seems to be working fine, other than deleting my Amazon saved games :(

If I run the RUU as suggested: Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_4.06.651.4_RUU, will I still be in a good position to try firewater again?

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
So far, the phone seems to be working fine, other than deleting my Amazon saved games :(

If I run the RUU as suggested: Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_4.06.651.4_RUU, will I still be in a good position to try firewater again?
That RUU won't work it's older then the software you are currently on.
Give firewater a try without using weaksauce

xenor

Sep 27, 2007
Omaha, NE
Update information

That RUU won't work it's older then the software you are currently on.
Give firewater a try without using weaksauce

You are correct, the RUU did not work. It failed completely on Windows 8.1 x64, so I ran in on Windows 7 x64, and it stopped at about 4%. The phone screen was black with the HTC logo and it just stayed like that for over an hour (I took the dog for a walk).

The Boot reports the following:

*** RELOCKED ***
M7_WLS PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.57.0000
RADIO-1.01.20.0515
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-5.03.651.3
eMMC-boot 2048MB
May 15 2014, 16:31:22.0

Once the phone is booted up, the Settings->About reports the following:
Software version: 4.06.651.9
Android 4.4.2
HTC Sense 5.5

Can an OTA flash the firmware and die before updating the software?
Do I need to flash the firmware to match the reported software in the system?

Last edited:

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
You are correct, the RUU did not work. It failed completely on Windows 8.1 x64, so I ran in on Windows 7 x64, and it stopped at about 4%. The phone screen was black with the HTC logo and it just stayed like that for over an hour (I took the dog for a walk).

The Boot reports the following:

*** RELOCKED ***
M7_WLS PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.57.0000
RADIO-1.01.20.0515
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-5.03.651.3
eMMC-boot 2048MB
May 15 2014, 16:31:22.0

Once the phone is booted up, the Settings->About reports the following:
Software version: 4.06.651.9
Android 4.4.2
HTC Sense 5.5

Can an OTA flash the firmware and die before updating the software?
Do I need to flash the firmware to match the reported software in the system?
I've never personally did an OTA so not sure.
If you use the guide I posted and use the 5.03.651.3 s-on firmware and rom it will be just like taking the OTA

xenor

Sep 27, 2007
Omaha, NE
OK, it took a little bit of research, because you probably assume most folks already know how to do this, but I got through your tutorial. Getting the latest TWRP was a bit confusing. At first I thought I had to have the TWRP app from the Google Play Store, which requires root, but then I found the TWRP page pointing to GooManager which automatically found the latest file and installed.

After that, it took a minute to figure out I had to go into HBOOT and select recovery to get the TWRP tool. I thought I was going to be using an Android utility to accomplish this (I guess I mean to say an app from the play store, not a BIOS like utility).

Lastly, for some reason the Android MyHTC driver died, so I had to manually remove and re-install. Re-running HTC Sync Manager install did not help. Once I got that figured out, I was able to adb push the file to the SDCard (Too bad one can't just drag and drop, but I'm guessing MTP dies with the flash?) and then load it from TWRP.

At the moment, I'm happy. I have the newer software and plenty to play with. I will give Firewater a try again, but I'm guessing it will be more difficult with the newest firmware/ROM?

I started with this guide a few days ago, but didn't push forward when I couldn't figure out the TWRP information. It might help to update that part of the guide, unless you want to avoid too many noobs getting into trouble.

Thanks for your help, and pointing me back in the right direction so quickly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So just RUU and call it a day

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    At the moment, all I can find is an older RUU, not the latest/greatest.

I've found a Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_4.06.651.4_RUU download, but my phone is reporting Software version 4.06.651.9

Would this be close enough?

If your running Sprint it should be fine

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk