Best Buy not taking pre-orders?!

Search This thread

psycho9x

Jul 18, 2007
Philly
So last week I went to best buy to order my Evo and the rep there told me that they were not taking orders for the Evo. I asked if they were just sold out of reserves of if they werent taking them and she told me that Best Buy wont be taking reserves for that phone! Seemed crazy to me but i just went down the street to "The Shack" and ordered it there and saved 100 bucks and got a 20 accesory credit so i guess it worked out. Does anyone who works at best buy know if this is true or was she just blowing smoke up my ass? The store is in Springfield PA #582. By the way i CAN NOT wait to get my hands on this phone!!

Aridon

May 14, 2007
You probably just spoke with someone that didn't get enough oxygen when they were born. Best buy does pre orders and there is no rebate.

Last edited:

psycho9x

Jul 18, 2007
Philly
I kind of assumed she was just being a douche and didnt feel like ringing it up since it was 8:30pm when i got there. On the other hand the awesome rep at rat shack stayed 30 minutes after closing to set me up.

xviiivx

May 15, 2007
Best Buy's website says "Pre-order yours today at select Best Buy stores". Maybe your Best Buy isn't a "select" store?

Khemistry

Nov 10, 2009
My BB is taking pre-orders ... I did mine almost two weeks ago and I was the very first customer.

v2tech

May 23, 2010
Can someone help me understand this?

Since Radio Shack is giving you $50 gift card that can be used towards the phone purchase, along with instant rebate of $100 that means you will be actually spending only 299 - 100 - 50 = 149 + taxes.

Why would anyone buy from Best Buy? Are they too giving $50 gift card?

I also heard Radio Shack is giving you additional $20 for accessories!

Why would anyone buy from Best Buy then? Am I missing something?

biriye4l

Apr 14, 2010
Since Radio Shack is giving you $50 gift card that can be used towards the phone purchase, along with instant rebate of $100 that means you will be actually spending only 299 - 100 - 50 = 149 + taxes.

You have to buy the $50 gift card, it isn't given to you. Basically you are putting $50 down to guarantee that they will have a phone for you sit it will be

$50 (at pre order) + $299 -$100(rebate) -$50(gift card) = $199 total.

JM-PDA

Nov 11, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Can someone help me understand this?

Why would anyone buy from Best Buy? Are they too giving $50 gift card?

I also heard Radio Shack is giving you additional $20 for accessories!

Why would anyone buy from Best Buy then? Am I missing something?

They don't give you $50.
You buy a $50 gift card that can be applied towards the purchase of the Evo.
And yes, when you come into buy your Evo, they will give you a free $20 gift card that you can apply towards any EVO accessories.

I pre-ordered mine through Radio Shack and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Aridon

May 14, 2007
I believe you have to exchange $50 american for the gift card. in essence paying for it. The $20 accessory credit will get matched by most best buys if you ask nicely. Neither require the mail in rebate. So at best they are the same, worse case is the shack is 20 dinar less.

v2tech

May 23, 2010
I see. Thanks ppl.

Anyway, that's good to know.

So basically, I went to buy a $50 gift card and also reserve a phone for free :)

Now, I will go on 4th June and give the $50 + 150.

Interesting. May be they are doing this just so that ppl won't ask for the refund? Even if ppl ask for it they will have to buy something from Radio Shack for $50 as they won't be getting the refund for that $50!

Good move by RS to increase revenue!

Now the question is, what if I decide to return the phone? Do I have to go to Sprint or Radio Shack?

If I have to go to Radio Shack, will they give me 199+ tax back or just the 149 (no refund on gift card)?

Can someone please explain? IF they are not going to give $50 gift card back then it looks like I have made bad move here! :eek:

TheBiles

Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
www.flickr.com
I see. Thanks ppl.

So basically, I went to buy a $50 gift card and also reserve a phone for free :)

Interesting. May be they are doing this just so that ppl won't ask for the refund? Even if ppl ask for it they will have to buy something from Radio Shack for $50 as they won't be getting the refund for that $50!

Now the question is, what if I decide to return the phone? Do I have to go to Sprint or Radio Shack?

If I have to go to Radio Shack, will they give me 199+ tax back or just the 149 (no refund on gift card)?

Can someone please explain? IF they are not going to give $50 gift card back then it looks like I have made bad move here! :eek:

Not sure about Radio Shack, but when I canceled my pre-order with Best Buy they gave me back my full $53 in cash.

psycho9x

Jul 18, 2007
Philly
I made sure to ask that when i reserved it. Radio Shack WILL NOT refund the money for the reserve/gift card, if you decide to return the phone they will refund the $150 via cash or card depending on what you paid with. The $50 for the reserve will be returned back to a gift card. So if you dont like the phone your stuck with a $50 Radio Shack gift card.

mikevillarroel

Jun 28, 2008
Pembroke Pines, Fl.
I see. Thanks ppl.

You haven't got yours yet and you are thinking in return it, may i ask why?

boomer30

Dec 12, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe they have stopped taking pre-orders, I told a few of my buddies last week that a pre-order can be done and upon arriving at BB they were informed that Friday was the last day for pre-orders.

srtpusher

Jul 20, 2007
san antonio
friday was the last day of BBs first wave of preorders. we are now taking orders to be delivered on the 9th, guaranteed unitil the preorder is cut off. any preorders on or before the 21st will be at the store on the 4th for delivery.the stores do not know how many extra they are getting.

Last edited: