[Q] Lost stable WiFi after updates, can't get it back

Search This thread

RSMK

Aug 25, 2011
Aalborg
Hello everyone! This is my 3rd day of tinkering with the phone and since I can't handle it I'm asking for help. I'm a noob who read a lot, tried and apparently messed up.

I bought a new HTC One from T-Mobile in Poland, branded with CID T-MOB101 and Hboot 1.44. Everything worked fine but the phone still had Android 4.1.2 and no update available. I decided to get rid of the brand and get international stock version to be able to receive OTAs. I unlocked bootloader with htcdev.com, installed TWRP 2.6.3.3, achieved s-off using revone, changed CID to HTC___001 and used RUU_M7_UL_JB_50_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.7_Radio_4A.13.3231.27_10.31.1131.05_release_310878_signed . My phone did not see OTA so I applied updates manually in following order:
OTA_M7_UL_JB_50_HTC_Europe_1.29.401.12-1.28.401.7_release_315849_signedp7vl8dqsvls0h1t0.zip
OTA_M7_UL_JB_50_S_HTC_Europe_2.24.401.1-1.29.401.12_P2_release_324936_signedma8j1sa3e2o09s35.zip
OTA M7 UL JB 50 S HTC Europe 2.24.401.8-2.24.401.1 Release 331108tottoh71qygw07hf
OTA M7 UL JB43 SENSE55 MR HTC Europe 3.62.401.1-2.24.401.8 Release 338160gxmo5sd9337kadux

After each OTA i tried to look for updates in phone's settings and found only two little updates (few MBs) that did not lead to bigger ones; I believe it was after first and third OTA.

After all this I started having WiFi issues. The phone stayed connected to my WiFi the whole time but after few minutes pages would not load, games would not connect. Resetting the connection would help for another few minutes (or less). Factory reset seemed to help a bit, the WiFi was able to keep the connection yet it 'paused' from time to time. By 'pause' I mean lose the connection for a second and regain right after, e.g. I could connect to games such as Hay Day, but after a ~minute I would lose the connection and have to reconnect (in game, without touching phone's settings) and redo last X seconds of game.
Because of that I went and applied ARHD 31.6 custom rom and hoped for the best. The situation remained the same so I flashed ARHD 41.0, yet the problem still remains.
In the end I downgraded my Hboot so it goes back to 1.44 and used the RUU I used the first time, after that I changed CID back to T-MOB101 and applied my full backup I saved by booting (prior to flashing) TWRP before I changed anything in the phone.

I did full wipe every time I changed the system and I did factory reset multiple times.

As of now I am on my backup with
Android 4.1.2
Version 1.29.111.16 CL175271 release-keys
Radio 4A.13.3231.27_10.31.1131.05L

and my WiFi is unstable. I can browse internet, watch YouTube or do things like that, yet I cant play games requiring constant internet connection, such as Hay Day.

So my question is: What do I do to get it to work as it used to at the beginning? I would prefer having the newest Android version, but at this point I simply need a working phone so if anyone has a solution that would work on my current system or by flashing a new one I will be extremely grateful.

1sae

Nov 12, 2009
I've been having the same issue. Thought it was just me because I've looked for a solution ever since the Jelly Bean update. Mine is a Sprint One and worked perfect with the original firmware. Once updated wifi connected and would randomly drop for a few seconds and reconnect. I've noticed it's router specific. I had a Linksys wrt160 that had a problem at home, but at the office the Cisco E2500 works fine. I swapped my home out with an Asus RT-N12 that has the problem too, but not as bad. Was hoping KitKat would fix the issue, but it didn't. I've worked with HTC support for a while and they said the new rom's have updated wifi drivers so there must be some compatibility issue with it.

Think the best bet is a custom rom that has all the new kitkat features but the old wifi (and BT since the new one doesn't load the contacts in my car) drivers. Someday, I'll take the time to figure out making my own rom.

robbie09

Jan 15, 2012
Indiana
same boat

I've been having the same issue. Thought it was just me because I've looked for a solution ever since the Jelly Bean update. Mine is a Sprint One and worked perfect with the original firmware. Once updated wifi connected and would randomly drop for a few seconds and reconnect. I've noticed it's router specific. I had a Linksys wrt160 that had a problem at home, but at the office the Cisco E2500 works fine. I swapped my home out with an Asus RT-N12 that has the problem too, but not as bad. Was hoping KitKat would fix the issue, but it didn't. I've worked with HTC support for a while and they said the new rom's have updated wifi drivers so there must be some compatibility issue with it.

Think the best bet is a custom rom that has all the new kitkat features but the old wifi (and BT since the new one doesn't load the contacts in my car) drivers. Someday, I'll take the time to figure out making my own rom.

I have tried about every Rom, Firmware, RUU out there and cant get mine to work

robbie09

Jan 15, 2012
Indiana
thanks

For now I'd recommend contacting HTC support and create a ticket so they know this problem is more widespread. That way all the new roms out there would have a working WIFI driver.

that's exactly what ive done on 2 different occasions, the last time this evening and they advised i exchange with my carrier

1sae

Nov 12, 2009
that's exactly what ive done on 2 different occasions, the last time this evening and they advised i exchange with my carrier

That's odd, when the first tier support couldn't figure it out they opened a ticket for me with higher level techs and they had me save a bunch of capture logs when the drops happen to email them. The carrier would be useless on this.

robbie09

Jan 15, 2012
Indiana
That's odd, when the first tier support couldn't figure it out they opened a ticket for me with higher level techs and they had me save a bunch of capture logs when the drops happen to email them. The carrier would be useless on this.

I sent them a bunch of logcats as well and they told me to exchange my phone with my carrier

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app