State of Development on R800x (ROM and Kernel List)

Search This thread

ashergray

Jul 19, 2011
Rock Hill SC
axiom, i dont know if anyone has tried that one yet but jellofreak tried the full system image from Bin4ry's post which did a similar thing. it flashed the entire r800i build on his r800x without issue. he says there are a few bugs here and there but over all usable.

I was wondering if that would have bricked the radios. good to hear it didnt. I always wanted to try timescape/mediascape.

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
I was wondering if that would have bricked the radios. good to hear it didnt. I always wanted to try timescape/mediascape.

yeah I agree, I wanted to give it a twirl too. When i flashed frasers yesterday, it has a similar feel. its very strange to see something custom but still clean like that when you are so used to bone stock.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
axiom, i dont know if anyone has tried that one yet but jellofreak tried the full system image from Bin4ry's post which did a similar thing. it flashed the entire r800i build on his r800x without issue. he says there are a few bugs here and there but over all usable.

I think Kazone's image is not the full system image, but an update of some kind. It's 155MB compared to the UK full image being nearly 230MB. I don't think it carries anything that might tamper with the radio as he mentions "PS: It's highly recommand to flash the unrooted .145 UK tft ([ROM] R800i_3.0.1.A.0.145 - Generic UK Firmware by thomassafca) via flashtool and flash this rooted images becuase the Baseband version was updated."

Although again this is all speculative since I don't have an R800x and I'd hate to see you guys brick your radios. But if someone is willing to go balls out and try ;)

Last edited:

gokuden

May 12, 2010
i flashed FrAsErTaG's FTS and i am unable to make phone calls, texts go out fine any idea what the problem is? hoping for the stOck img soon so i can flash back.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
i flashed FrAsErTaG's FTS and i am unable to make phone calls, texts go out fine any idea what the problem is? hoping for the stOck img soon so i can flash back.

If CWM is working for those who have the stock rom, someone should be able to make a backup and upload their system.img somewhere for people to flash back to. You can access it via b1nary's recovery boot image, or through Doomlord's kernel which has recovery included.

Last edited:

ashergray

Jul 19, 2011
Rock Hill SC
I have the original system.sin file but its far too large to upload on here.
any suggestions for upload elsewhere?
if any of you request I could make a stock FTF (stock kernel and stock system) for flashtool.

ashergray

Jul 19, 2011
Rock Hill SC
I am uploading the original system.sin now and have made an FTF bundle with stock kernel and stock system images.
I have 7zipped the file for space and uploading constraints. will post links in a bit.

oc3rulz

Jan 30, 2010
Columbus, OH

I did the same thing, including putting on Doom's kernel.

I have also tried FTS v05 ONLINE, and doom's kernel everythign works great except the PHONE! it auto force closes.

Now I wanna go back to Stock and there are no stock system.img anywhere. SO if someone has one that would be greatly appreciated.

gokuden

May 12, 2010
thanks for the code asher it worked wonders been having a blast with this despite the call problems i have had.

ashergray

Jul 19, 2011
Rock Hill SC
I did the same thing, including putting on Doom's kernel.

I have also tried FTS v05 ONLINE, and doom's kernel everythign works great except the PHONE! it auto force closes.

Now I wanna go back to Stock and there are no stock system.img anywhere. SO if someone has one that would be greatly appreciated.
To everyone:
here is the link to the system.sin
http://www.multiupload.com/I1YC4VDW3G
I am uploading the FTF.7zip now
Mills, if you would add the link to the original post.

gokuden

May 12, 2010
just tried to flash system.sin and it came back as failed image wont fit partition to small.

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
To everyone:
here is the link to the system.sin
http://www.multiupload.com/I1YC4VDW3G
I am uploading the FTF.7zip now
Mills, if you would add the link to the original post.

Done.

just tried to flash system.sin and it came back as failed image wont fit partition to small.

Are you sure you tried to flash it to system and not boot? And if it still doesn't work, the ftf should get you back to where you want to be.

i am still downloading it, that's no good

Dont fret just yet. Let us know how it goes once it downloads.

oc3rulz

Jan 30, 2010
Columbus, OH
Done.

Are you sure you tried to flash it to system and not boot? And if it still doesn't work, the ftf should get you back to where you want to be.

Dont fret just yet. Let us know how it goes once it downloads.

Am I flashing this via fastboot or Flasher tool? I am much more familiar with fastboot

ok flashed with fastboot, and it worked just fine, so maybe he got a bad download, I can confirm this FLASHED!!!! Woohoo!

Last edited:

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
the sin should flash just fine with fastboot. Or at least thats how i've been flashing them. I am yet to use flashtool except to make tft's

Mills00013

Oct 12, 2007
What kernel are you using oc3rulz? I wasnt able to get any of the kernels to work with the stock system except freexperia's CM7 kernel, and even then the radio wouldnt work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because what the world needs now is another R800x related thread.

I'm going to try to document all of the kernels and ROMs posted currently about the forum and exactly what they will or will not do when used in their current state on the R800x. This thread will be for developers to help figure out issues related to the CDMA differences and for end users trying to figure out what works or doesn't.

Please post your experiences with testing different builds and kernels. Also, if applicable, post any software that you were able to remove with root and if you ran into any complications because of the removal.

Note that this can also serve as a directory for GSM users as well. Just disregard the comments and do diligent research.

If you are not using a custom kernel (and you're probably not at this point because of how poorly they are responding) then you will need to run this command to make your system read/writable so that you can remove apps:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system

If you have not already done so, download Omnius! Backup your TA file. This can save a lot of headaches in the long run for everyone!

Root

Basic Root Steps
    Link: R800x Root
    Status: Steps to follow if you have an unlocked bootloader....

zergRush Root Method
    Link: [HOW-TO] Root R800x/i v2.3.3+ (zergRush Method)
    Status: Instructions for rooting without a unlocked bootloader. Works on stock 2.3.3.

Bin4ry's Original Root
    Link: [How-to] Root your Play
    Status: No. Bin4ry's file contains the entire system for the GSM plays. This is an original rooted generic system build. Do not flash this.

Kernels

DooMLoRD's CDMA Kernel
    Link: [KERNEL][PLAY][CDMA] DooMKernel [Rel:v01][Dt:30/Nov][FW:3.0.1.A.0.145]
    Status: Currently in very active development, check the thread for most recent updates and information about whether this will work for you. Probably most recommended for stock ROM.

Blagus' SEtweak Kernel
    Link: [Kernel] SEtweak - insecure ADB, ext4, NTFS, overclock, USB OTG - updated 24th July

DooMLoRD's GSM Kernel
    Link: [KERNEL][PLAY][GSM] DooMKernel [Rel:v08][Dt:17/Nov][FW:4.0.2.A.0.42]
    Status: Newest Doom revision will boot stock 2.3.3 system without wifi or camera. Version 3 of the kernel will allow you to use both of these items. Will also boot other systems with same results.

FreeXperia's (jerpelea) Kernel
    Link: [DEVELOPMENT] - CM7.1.0 - FXP041 RELEASED - FreeXperia Project
    Status: It works like it should for the most part. Regressions in and out on camera, but overall stable. Used for CM7 only.

Roms

Stock ROM
    Link: Check stock section below for downloads
    Status: Boots and roots with everything available to use as it should be. See kernel info above for finer points to it. Stock ROM is easily rootable.

FreeXperia's CyanogenMod 7.2.0 CDMA
    Link: {GSM/CDMA}[DEVELOPMENT] - CM7.2.0 - FXP049 RELEASED - FreeXperia Project
    Status: Newest builds work almost 100%. If you are having camera issues, check out this post and apply the linked update.zip. You should have a working system with everything except MMS. And even the MMS is hit or miss. So give it a try.

ZeroROM
    Link: [ROM] zerorom v0.4 (GSM/CDMA, CWM Install)
    Status: Boots great using Doom's kernel, however, system is based on 4.0 series generic GSM roms and the radio doesnt function yet. Work in progress.

UK ROM For R800x
    Link: [CDMA][ROM] R800x with UK firmware

Status: Work in progress but good reports about it running great. Check out thread for most current information and build data.

FrAsErTaG's FTS
    Link: [SYSTEM] FTS v05 ONLINE [FINAL] DooMLoRD Kernel Compatible
    Status: Seems there is lots of success with new patches and some minor tweaks starting about there in the thread. Well suited for using as a daily driver at this point with the tweaks. Easiest method is just flashing the awesome nandroid backup zero_1_2 made.

Requests

Kernels for 2.3.3

Back to Stock

Stock Kernel 2.3.2
    Link: Attatched to this post
    Status: Its the stock kernel. So of course it works just fine. Flash the same as you would any kernel: fastboot flash boot kernel.sin

Stock System 2.3.2
    Link: Multiupload
    Status: Should work just fine. This is just the .sin. Use this command: fastboot flash system system.sin

Stock System 2.3.3
    Link: DropBox
    Status: Untested system img. Use this command: fastboot flash system system.img

Stock Kernel+System TFT 2.3.2
    Status: Should contain a tft file with the kernel and system. From what I understand this is not the complete restore?

Full system FTF 2.3.2
    Status: Full system restore tft. This should bring you back to 100% stock (minus the bootloader being returned to locked)

Full system FTF 2.3.3
    Status: Full system restore tft. This should bring you back to 100% stock (minus the bootloader being returned to locked)

All Original System APKs

MD5 Values for Stock Items
    This isn't an optional check. The following values must match up or you need to download the file again.
    Code:
    R800xkernel.zip (Attatched to the post)
    1a2e9a665fee7332867157c11aa321c9

System.sin
    3ebf12d10c195b92ff72c41d325592de

Kernel.sin (Should be inside attatched file to the post or inside full ftf)
    7ba1e6e3b698ad55f6bea0406196d337

Stock kernel and system.ftf
    d519365f7220382a42fdecd554aa4b64

Full Stock Minus TA. FTF
    465d52867582a4d1eee8166807bb97ac

Potentially Safe to Remove Applications

Users have personally removed and verified the following apps. Removing all of these will take every Verizon application out of your menu. And all of the games. Except for Crash. Because, honestly, who doesn't want to keep Crash.

I remove all of these apps completely (cause I live on the edge like that and I dont mind flashing a system file) but you are also free to simply rename the package and put .old on the end of it or something similar. The point will be served to get them out of your menu, but it, of course, wont clear up any of the precious little space we have. It saddens me to have to say this but I think its wise to remind everyone: you are not required to remove all these applications. If you don't know what you are deleting, don't. If you still manage to screw this up, the apps are all linked in the stock section above.
    1. /system/app/starbattalion.apk
    2. /system/app/Asphalt.apk
    3. /system/app/madden.apk
    4. /system/app/Sims.apk
    5. /system/app/tetris.apk
    6. /system/app/com.skype.android.verizon.apk
    7. /system/app/com.fusionone.android.sync.sonyericssonr800xbaclient.apk
    8. /system/app/com.vzw.vvm.androidclient.apk
    9. /system/app/com.amazon.kindle.apk
    10. /system/app/com.vznavigator.r800x.apk
    11. /system/app/com.gravitymobile.vzwinstaller.apk
    12. /system/app/com.gravitymobile.app.hornbill.apk
    13. /system/app/Launcher2.apk
    14. /system/app/Camera.apk
    15. /system/app/com.vzw.hss.myverizon.apk ##This one has to be done last. If your phone is running, prepare for it to hate you. Reboot after its gone and you should be alright.

There is a more comprehensive guide here but together by sonicfreak360. Check it out.

Tips or Tricks

Question: Cant boot or pass the Sony Ericsson logo? Can you still get into fastboot (power off and plug in USB with search button held)?
    Status: Check out the post made by gwaine later on in the thread
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41176913/system.img

stock R800X 2.3.3 System image install with Fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system system.img

Stock kernel from this thread works, Doomlords 3.0 kernel works as well, but breaks wifi (Hard reset upon turning any wifi on)
    I copied the update_package file from cache/recovery/fota. I don't know if anyone can do anything with it, but here it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/update_package

If anything else, if anyone has to go back to 2.3.2, you could push this file to cache/recovery/fota to save time instead of waiting for the download.

EDIT: I just relocked my bootloader, and applied update. Everything went smooth, still have root, and was able to re-unlock bootloader.

EDIT: Here is the mtd2 image file I extracted from /dev/mtd/mtd2 if anyone with Linux wants to compile a boot.img from it so we have the stock 2.3.3 kernel
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/mtd2.img

EDIT: And here is a Nandroid backup that gives you rooted stock 2.3.3 with all original system apps. I tested it by going back to 2.3.2 by wiping data, cache, system, flashing kernel.sin and system.sin from 2.3.2 in fastboot. Rebooting to verify stock w/o root, then fastbooted recoveryPLAY.img and applied this nandroid backup. This is a way to get 2.3.3 kernel and system without having to relock bootloader, receiving ota, and then re-unlock bootloader.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35097081/R800x_2.3.3_stock_rooted.zip
    Note: This was made by me after locking bootloader, receiving and installing ota 2.3.3, unlocking bootloader, fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img, nandroid
    backup.
    EDIT: This backup still results in wifi not working if still on 2.3.2 when using. :(
    Have any 800x users found a way to use the latest official firmware (Ce,Generic) on there 800x? Im building a new rom and would like to have 800x support

I have been working on it with no success so far, but have an idea that I will work on this weekend to see if it works.
    Quick update: For any other noobs like myself...I extracted the ftf file on the first page of the thread using winrar, flashed the kernel.sin, rebooted. Still stuck on Sony Ericsson screen. Back to fastboot, flashed the system.sin and it worked! If that's painfully obvious that you have to do that then I at least hope it helps some other Android dummies like myself. I probably messed something up along the way when I was trying to flash the whole ftf file through fastboot (I'm not even sure that those files are compatible with fastboot but I tried it anyway last night).