[Q] "Music Temporarily Unavailable"

Search This thread

silverjaguar7

Nov 14, 2012
I'm getting this error message "music temporarily unavailable. couldn't play the stream you requested". I only have 3 devices authorized and I am having no issues with playback on my computer, however every song is giving me this error, whether over 4G or Wifi on my GNex. This issue started happening two days ago (around the time the European Google Play Music store updates were occurring / not sure if it's related). My issue was happening before the most recent Google Music update (a day or two ago?) as well as after. Also, not sure if it's relevant but I've almost filled my 20,000 song limit.

Anyone else figure this out / had this issue / have advice? Thanks!

Stock GNex on Verizon.

vcmic

Nov 15, 2012
I have the same message starting today, but only for certain songs on my Galaxy Nexus.
I'm at 3.000 on song limit so I don't think that's it. Streaming on PC and other phone (Nexus S) is fine.
I am in Canada, which doesn't officially have Music yet, but then the streaming is working fine on devices so I don't think that's the issue.

AllBlaxx

May 5, 2011
I have the same message starting today, but only for certain songs on my Galaxy Nexus.
I'm at 3.000 on song limit so I don't think that's it. Streaming on PC and other phone (Nexus S) is fine.
I am in Canada, which doesn't officially have Music yet, but then the streaming is working fine on devices so I don't think that's the issue.

I was getting this message frequently the other day (Tuesday) but since the update to Google Play Music, I haven't had any problems. BTW, Music is available in Canada now...sorta. We can upload and stream (music.google.com doesn't block you from the webpage anymore and you can download Music Manager) but we don't have a music store or nothing like that. It got flipped on around the same time they announced Music for Google TV in Canada.

Jun 14, 2008
Washington, DC
I've also been getting the same message on my tablet since Tuesday. I noticed it after the last Play Music update. Since I didn't know what to do, I uninstalled the app and did a fresh re-install to no avail.
No problems playing on cell or computer. And I don't think song limit is an issue here... I don't have more than 500 songs myself.
Besides, my problem is not with all songs, just some... not sure, but seems like the ones I'm having problems with are the ones I have gotten for free from Play Store ("Free Song of the Day" type of songs).
Hopefully somebody has more info on this issue, a suggestion... Or if we are lucky perhaps it's a temporary glitch and it resolves itself some time soon. :(

~ fitzbg

Last edited:

vcmic

Nov 15, 2012
I think I've fixed it. Let's put it this way: I know that at least 2 of the songs that had disappeared (i.e. gave the "Music temporarily unavailable." error) are available now. I followed the instructions I saw for people having problems with the Play store after a recent update on the androidcentral forums. I tried to give that link, but as a noob on XDA I'm not allowed. Search for: "Problem since 4.1.2 update" android central, if you want to see my source...

I followed the same steps there, but instead of doing it for the Play store I did it for Google Play Music.

I did the following:

1. Make sure you're signed into Talk. (not sure if this one is actually required, but I did do it).
2. Go to setting>apps>all>Google Play Music
3. Clear data (note that this means that all your locally stored music and playlists will disappear).
4. Uninstall updates
5. Go back to the list of All Apps and click on Google account manager,
6. Clear data
7. Force stop.
8. Power off and leave it off for a minute or two (I removed my battery to be extra sure) then re-boot
After your phone restarts you will notice that Google Music Player will update (if you had automatic updates allowed in the Play Store for it).
9. Open Google Play Music and let it sync with the servers.
After a couple of minutes all the music from your locker should be visible.

Again, I have tested it for 2 missing songs only. So far so good. :fingers-crossed:

I will post later if I find anything else.

Last edited:

ace23jp

Jan 30, 2009
Worked for me as well. Minus the being signed into Talk part. (I skipped that part)

Thanks!

hwlester

Apr 14, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Worked for me as well on Motorola Atrix HD which just got updated from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1.

Also didn't touch Talk although I was signed in before.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mosedavid

Jan 3, 2013
I think I've fixed it. Let's put it this way: I know that at least 2 of the songs that had disappeared (i.e. gave the "Music temporarily unavailable." error) are available now. I followed the instructions I saw for people having problems with the Play store after a recent update on the androidcentral forums. I tried to give that link, but as a noob on XDA I'm not allowed. Search for: "Problem since 4.1.2 update" android central, if you want to see my source...

I followed the same steps there, but instead of doing it for the Play store I did it for Google Play Music.

I did the following:

1. Make sure you're signed into Talk. (not sure if this one is actually required, but I did do it).
3. Clear data (note that this means that all your locally stored music and playlists will disappear).
4. Uninstall updates
6. Clear data
7. Force stop.
8. Power off and leave it off for a minute or two (I removed my battery to be extra sure) then re-boot
After your phone restarts you will notice that Google Music Player will update (if you had automatic updates allowed in the Play Store for it).

Again, I have tested it for 2 missing songs only. So far so good. :fingers-crossed:

I've just tried to do this but couldn't see any app called "Google account manager" in the all apps section. Would love to resolve this, it's doing my head in!

papirruqui

Mar 30, 2013
Didn't Work

I did the following:

4. Uninstall updates
6. Clear data
7. Force stop.

I just did that and it don't' work. The only diference is that I have a HTC One S and that you can't remove the battery. :(

50hertz

Aug 27, 2011

I did the following:

4. Uninstall updates
6. Clear data
7. Force stop.

Worked like a charm, I also skipped step 1. Before this fix not one song played now I've tested over a dozen and they all played. Thanks

PFive

Dec 9, 2013

I did the following:

4. Uninstall updates
6. Clear data
7. Force stop.

Yep, this worked for me also. Two years later.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did the following:

4. Uninstall updates
    6. Clear data
    7. Force stop.