Best ROM for T-Mobile?

Search This thread

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I've been using this phone with Beanstalk ROM for about 36 days. I love the features but I'm tired of the subpar data speeds.

I've had trouble getting 1Mb/s at times (including now) and never even 1/2 as fast as the 20Mb/s it got that first day that I tested it with my brother's SIM after I unlocked it the day I got it.

Even a fresh install of Beanstalk only got around 8Mb/s with JB radio or modded JB radio.

I'm seriously considering switching to modded stock for the better speeds. But I'll of course be testing the latest PA, CM, MOKEE and any others first.

Which ROM have you been using on T-Mobile? And what have your data speeds been like?

Thanks. :)

P.S. I live in Los Angeles.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Nick N

Sep 10, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I've been using this phone with Beanstalk ROM for about 36 days. I love the features but I'm tired of the subpar data speeds.

I've had trouble getting 1Mb/s at times (including now) and never even 1/2 as fast as the 20Mb/s it got that first day that I tested it with my brother's SIM after I unlocked it the day I got it.

Even a fresh install of Beanstalk only got around 8Mb/s with JB radio or modded JB radio.

I'm seriously considering switching to modded stock for the better speeds. But I'll of course be testing the latest PA, CM, MOKEE and any others first.

Which ROM have you been using on T-Mobile? And what have your data speeds been like?

AOSP (4.4.2) and TwistedKat. You should be getting 6-13MBs most of the time. I am using the AT&T JB hybrid radio and fast.t-mobile APN

The 20MBs was probably LTE speed with a fresh SIM (never installed in your G before). There are multiple threads around here about that. :crying:

Reactions: Electriccars

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles

I'll go ahead and do a speed test on fresh installs of stock and these and compare them.

Hopefully it wasn't LTE I was seeing.

Although that does fit the bill, the G had never had a T-Mobile sim before as it was freshly unlocked 5 minutes before. :(

Last edited:

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
AOSP (4.4.2) and TwistedKat. You should be getting 6-13MBs most of the time. I am using the AT&T JB hybrid radio and fast.t-mobile APN

The 20MBs was probably LTE speed with a fresh SIM (never installed in your G before). There are multiple threads around here about that. :crying:

So everytime I flash with phils advanced touch recovery it says "please upgrade binary" how do I do that?

Anyway, so (I think) I flashed the at&t JB modem and tried several different ROMs, fresh flashes with no gapps.

TwistedKat (I REALLY like it, but how do you disable the hardware button lights when using softkeys?) gave me 6.5Mb/s in the first test, but only 2.8Mb/s in the 3rd test. Hmm.

ArtMod gave me 3.5Mb/s in the first but 7.25Mb/s in the 2nd and 3rd tests. So far unfortunately the best. :(

I reflashed the modem in case I didn't at the beginning and flashed PA.

PA's signal icon wouldn't turn white but I was able to do a test anyway. It gave me 5.5Mb/s
I then flashed the modded JB modem and PA's signal still wouldn't turn white but it gave me 4.5Mb/s.

Reflashing PA didn't help.

SlimKat with modded JB modem also wouldn't turn the icon white... uh oh. gave me: 6.5Mb/s

Don't like slim Moving on...

CM11: icon also stays orange. :( 5.2Mb/s with stock JB radio no change. I'm going to stick with stock JB, seems like the best radio.

restored efs from weeks ago zip backup just in case that got messed up and that's why it stays orange.

Reflashed TwistedKat and data icon STILL staying orange!? (and gave me 5.4Mb/s) What's going on? I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing this before I reflashed the JB radio. And now no matter what I do it stays orange. :-/

AOSP 4.4: 4.5Mb/s

Rooted stock JB: Won't connect to data period. :'-( What do I do know? This sucks! No matter what I do, no matter which ROM, no matter what Radio it won't connect like it did before. :(

Edit: Restored my Beanstalk backup from this morning and the data icon turns white.
Edit 2: flashed stock rooted JB and it still doesn't connect.

Last edited:

Nick N

Sep 10, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
What are your APN settings? Are you using a newer micro SIM or an older cut SIM?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Unfortunately we can't have LTE on TMo at this time. Download an app called Advance Signal Status (free in Play Store) and see what the 2G/3G section displays about signal strength.

Also network type should toggle between UMTS and HSPA+

Last edited:

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
What are your APN settings? Are you using a newer micro SIM or an older cut SIM?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Unfortunately we can't have LTE on TMo at this time. Download an app called Advance Signal Status (free in Play Store) and see what the 2G/3G section displays about signal strength.

Okay, before I restored my backup I never changed the APN on the stock ROM :silly: I think that might be why it doesn't connect to data. And every aosp rom I've checked the APN.

After wiping my restored backup I'm booting into Artmod again to see if it works.

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm using TwistedKat but the call speaker volume is really low compared to Beanstalk. Is there a way to increase it?

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles

So according to that app I'm receiving no LTE data at all. Bummer.

But is there a fix for calls? Speaker phone is about half as loud as the Beanstalk speaker, and when I don't have it on speaker audio's non-existant in both directions.

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge

But is there a fix for calls? Speaker phone is about half as loud as the Beanstalk speaker, and when I don't have it on speaker audio's non-existant in both directions.

You need a hybrid modem for voice call on T-Mobile. Try one from link in my sig.

Transmitted From Burning Gundam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You need a hybrid modem for voice call on T-Mobile. Try one from link in my sig.

Transmitted From Burning Gundam