[solved] OTA update (176.44.1) fails w/ CWM or ends in bootloop w/ stock recovery

Search This thread

Kleo2

Oct 3, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm running my Moto G 16GB on Kitkat 4.4.2 system version 175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE. Today it offered to download and install the latest OTA update (called 176.44.1.en.DE). I started the download and tried to install it.

After downloading the update was placed in /cache. The file name was 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zip', which surprised me. I was expecting something like 'Blur_Version.176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zip'.

When I tried to install it without removing root and without going back to stock recovery it ended with a signature error in CWM. Installing the untrusted zip manually didn't work as well - as expected.

Then I tried to follow advise from other threads and went back to stock recovery (extracted from a full install package 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE' - 444MB) That seemed to work and the install of the OTA update went fine before getting stuck on the boot animation on the first boot. It sat there for 10 minutes before I rebooted and restored a CWM backup.

I'm running out of ideas. Some say it's sufficient to go back to stock recovery temporarily. Others say you need to go back to full stock.

I have to repeat that I'm rooted and that I've de-activated a few unused apps (mainly harmless google stuff (hangout, search, music and so on) and Motorola Assist, Migrate and 'Context Services') .

Are there further findings about what stops the OTA from succeeding?

Many thanks in advance,
Kleo2

Last edited:

S0bes

Jan 1, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm running my Moto G 16GB on Kitkat 4.4.2 system version 175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE. Today it offered to download and install the latest OTA update (called 176.44.1.en.DE). I started the download and tried to install it.

After downloading the update was placed in /cache. The file name was 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zip', which surprised me. I was expecting something like 'Blur_Version.176.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.zip'.

When I tried to install it without removing root and without going back to stock recovery it ended with a signature error in CWM. Installing the untrusted zip manually didn't work as well - as expected.

Then I tried to follow advise from other threads and went back to stock recovery (extracted from a full install package 'Blur_Version.175.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE' - 444MB) That seemed to work and the install of the OTA update went fine before getting stuck on the boot animation on the first boot. It sat there for 10 minutes before I rebooted and restored a CWM backup.

I'm running out of ideas. Some say it's sufficient to go back to stock recovery temporarily. Others say you need to go back to full stock.

I have to repeat that I'm rooted and that I've de-activated a few unused apps (mainly harmless google stuff (hangout, search, music and so on) and Motorola Assist, Migrate and 'Context Services') .

Many thanks in advance,
Kleo2
If your phone is rooted or there is a CWM installed or there is any change in system files then ota will fail till you flash stock rom. You can't just bring back stock recovery. You have to "delete" root as well.
There is some info http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47495650&postcount=6

Reactions: petaloudas12345

CromoPT

Dec 26, 2011
I will post my case here, I had the same problem, I had CWM and root and when I rebooted to update I get installation failed and boot loop.

Then I just flashed stock recovery (only) rebooted and now I already have the update installed

Kleo2

Oct 3, 2009
I will post my case here, I had the same problem, I had CWM and root and when I rebooted to update I get installation failed and boot loop.

Then I just flashed stock recovery (only) rebooted and now I already have the update installed

Hi, thanks for your replies. Because of your report and others, who state the same (installing stock recovery only to get the update working) I was hoping to get around going back to full stock. It always takes a lot of time to configure the phone the way it was configured before essentially wiping.

Just to repeat what I did: when I try to install the OTA while CWM is installed there's just an error message in CWM, the update fails, but the phone is working normally afterwards. It's just not updated.

When I try with stock recovery the update process finishes without errors, but the phone get stuck during the boot animation.
Maybe there's a way to fix the boot loop?

Looking forward to any suggestions
Cheers, Kleo2

Kleo2

Oct 3, 2009
I tried again and found a way without going back to full stock.

1. flashed stock recovery from full 175.44.1 image
2. let the phone download the OTA and restart to install it
3. ota install in stock recovery went fine
4. reboot -> stuck on boot animation again
5. flashed CWM and wiped cache AND dalvik cache
6. next boot took longer than normal but got past the boot animation
7. android optimized/cached my apps and then started normally
8. version is now 176.44.1 and the phone seems to work normally (after 30 minutes of usage)

Hope that helps someone and that I won't have issues going forward because I did it this way. :)

Cheers, Kleo2

Papshmir

Feb 21, 2014
total noob

i would so much like to update my rooted moto g.. because of my card reader.

does anyone know a step-by-step-for-complete-noobs-post and could provide a link?

i'm just starting.. and so happy and proud that i got my phone rooted.. and that i got rid of this rebooting problem by erasing the cache.

but i'm already lost when i read "flashed stock recovery".. yeah i know: that much noob!

help would be much appreciated!
Papshmir

Hui91

Nov 4, 2010

does anyone know a step-by-step-for-complete-noobs-post and could provide a link?

i'm just starting.. and so happy and proud that i got my phone rooted.. and that i got rid of this rebooting problem by erasing the cache.

but i'm already lost when i read "flashed stock recovery".. yeah i know: that much noob!

Papshmir

I UPDATED my rooted Kitkat Tesco version SUCCESFULLY! and still rooted. :)

What I did:

1. install Motorola Device Manager (RESTART computer and telephone)
2. downloaded MotoTool
3. Made a Nandroid backup in CMW, made a backup with MotoTool too. Just in case :)
And deactived (did not uninstall) my Xposed framework modules (if you dont have it, you dont need to)
I have some system apps disabled, but didnt re-activate it. :p (was too lazy haha)

4. downloaded the correct ROM from: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 (Tesco UK 4.4.2)
5. unzipped the ROM and rename and overwrite the recovery.img to the exact name as in the MotoTool All In One 2.6\Data\KitKat\StockKitKatrecovery.img (Just for sure it's the same as my ROM, I dont know if all the ROMs have the same recovery sooo :) )
6. started MotoTool, unplug&replug device. Checked KitKat option in the program, did a connection check, it was okay. Did a NORMAL restart via progam. You have to grant permisson on your phone.
7. after reboot, rebooted the phone to FASTBOOT.
8. Checked Stock Fastboot in the program, it flashed succesfully. Then I went into recovery (1×down volume, then 1× up volume) checked if the recovery was working. It was working (android logo+ no command error message)
9. reboot (long press power button)
10. Updeted OTA, settings/inf./update.. blabla okay okay next next. Wait until it downloads (only 7.9 MB :D)
11. wait for the update to be done, then it reboots, then apps are being updated. Everything looks fine and working

+1 flash CMW or other recovery again.

Hope this helps! I was afraid to do it too. I'm not used to MotoTool and other Motorola stuff because I had a HTC Desire, it was much simplier with that. But no risk here either! Good luck!

Last edited:

draco259

Nov 1, 2010
So I am trying to put back my stock recovery so I can take the OTA, but after I flash the recovery and try to reboot to it, it says "No Command". I have reflashed TWRP and then the stock recovery again with the same result. The phone itself will boot fine, but I can't install the OTA as it gets an error part of the way into the install. Any ideas? I have the 1034.

EDIT: Well I remembered I did the H+ mod, so after reverting that the OTA flashed :D I had Faux Kernel before hand, but after reflashing it my wi-fi wont enable, any ideas?

Last edited:

jdhollan

May 1, 2011

8. version is now 176.44.1 and the phone seems to work normally (after 30 minutes of usage)

Hope that helps someone and that I won't have issues going forward because I did it this way.
Cheers, Kleo2

Thanks,

Wiping cache and dalvik cache did the trick for me. You saved my day :)

bckspc

Feb 2, 2008
Please please help

I have the same problem. I've tried to update the new OTA and failed. After restoring full stock rom, the system simply doesn't boot!

I had Faux Kernel and GravityBox but I didn't revert anything. I thought that a full stock rom would clear all system settings.

This is my version of stock (Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB) and I tried to flash it several times now. No success. I get stuck on the boot logo.

I tried to downgrade to 4.3 using version Blur_Version.14.71.8.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB. I was able to boot and see the initial setup but I have no WIFI! I was trying to install 4.3 then try to update via OTA but OTA only works with WIFI so I'm stuck.

I also tried installing the 24th Feb nightly build of Cyanogen and the device also booted but with no WIFI.

I really don't know what to do! Please help me. I've tried other stock images out of despair but none with sucess.

Does anyone have a clue to what might be to problem and how to revert it?

Thank you

So I am trying to put back my stock recovery so I can take the OTA, but after I flash the recovery and try to reboot to it, it says "No Command". I have reflashed TWRP and then the stock recovery again with the same result. The phone itself will boot fine, but I can't install the OTA as it gets an error part of the way into the install. Any ideas? I have the 1034.

EDIT: Well I remembered I did the H+ mod, so after reverting that the OTA flashed :D I had Faux Kernel before hand, but after reflashing it my wi-fi wont enable, any ideas?

Hui91

Nov 4, 2010
Before flashing stock ROM try to clear/format all your partitions with a custom recovery!

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

BlackSheep66

Feb 26, 2014
I installed the OTA update using the CWM recovery but not root, I changed the update-script to not give error during installation

grimebox

Feb 25, 2014

What I did:

2. downloaded MotoTool
3. Made a Nandroid backup in CMW, made a backup with MotoTool too. Just in case :)
And deactived (did not uninstall) my Xposed framework modules (if you dont have it, you dont need to)
I have some system apps disabled, but didnt re-activate it. :p (was too lazy haha)

4. downloaded the correct ROM from: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 (Tesco UK 4.4.2)
5. unzipped the ROM and rename and overwrite the recovery.img to the exact name as in the MotoTool All In One 2.6\Data\KitKat\StockKitKatrecovery.img (Just for sure it's the same as my ROM, I dont know if all the ROMs have the same recovery sooo :) )
6. started MotoTool, unplug&replug device. Checked KitKat option in the program, did a connection check, it was okay. Did a NORMAL restart via progam. You have to grant permisson on your phone.
8. Checked Stock Fastboot in the program, it flashed succesfully. Then I went into recovery (1×down volume, then 1× up volume) checked if the recovery was working. It was working (android logo+ no command error message)
10. Updeted OTA, settings/inf./update.. blabla okay okay next next. Wait until it downloads (only 7.9 MB :D)
11. wait for the update to be done, then it reboots, then apps are being updated. Everything looks fine and working

Hope this helps! I was afraid to do it too. I'm not used to MotoTool and other Motorola stuff because I had a HTC Desire, it was much simplier with that. But no risk here either! Good luck!

At part 8, I am getting an image of the android guy with his stomach open with a big red '!'. That's 'no command' right?

Any ideas? I have no idea what I am doing

russtyd

Mar 11, 2011
Guys, a really easy way to update is:

1. Install Philz recovery - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639583
2. Reboot and then download the OTA update when prompted - select Install when prompted
3. It will now reboot into Philz recovery, install the update and reboot
4. You'll see Android is Upgrading...
5. Re-boot back into recover and re-install faux kernel

I have just upgraded my XT1032 on 174.44.9 en GB (rooted + faux008) to 176.44.1 using this... worked like a dream! All I had to do was re-install faux kernel as that was overwritten by the OTA, but Root was in-tact...

Reactions: Adamask

evilshinryu89

Feb 23, 2011
i have root, twrp recovery and faux kernel, the problem is only faux kernel? Or I must remove all? (root recovery etc)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope that helps someone and that I won't have issues going forward because I did it this way. :)

Cheers, Kleo2

Papshmir

What I did:

2. downloaded MotoTool

Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance,
    Kleo2
    If your phone is rooted or there is a CWM installed or there is any change in system files then ota will fail till you flash stock rom. You can't just bring back stock recovery. You have to "delete" root as well.
    There is some info http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47495650&postcount=6

Thanks. :good: Did 1 to 3 and phone booted just fine (not stuck on boot animation)

My phone: No logo fix, root, Xposed Framework
    After update root was still there, Xposed needed a new install
    Guys, a really easy way to update is:

1. Install Philz recovery - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639583
    2. Reboot and then download the OTA update when prompted - select Install when prompted
    3. It will now reboot into Philz recovery, install the update and reboot
    4. You'll see Android is Upgrading...
    5. Re-boot back into recover and re-install faux kernel

I have just upgraded my XT1032 on 174.44.9 en GB (rooted + faux008) to 176.44.1 using this... worked like a dream! All I had to do was re-install faux kernel as that was overwritten by the OTA, but Root was in-tact...