Battery Life TERRIBLY sucks

Search This thread

Mystery?

Dec 19, 2010
My battery life on 4.3 stock was 8 hours screen time (half brightness I believe)
Rooted and flashed a custom rom and kernel 7hr30min screen time
Flashed different kernels dropped to 6hr max screen time (without factory reset)
After installing Xposed and many many modules the screen time kept dropping to like 5hr to 6hr
Updated to KitKat and rooted 4:30min to 5 HOUR MAX screen time PLUS phone got hot ALOT OF TIMES

***RIGHT NOW*** Flashed a custom ROM HyperDrive with Colonel X latest and Compulsion latest BOTH 3hr30min to 4hr30min MAX screen on (EVEN with Jovy23's kernel settings that got him AMAZING battery life with ConservativeX governor - It still did not fix the issue not even a little - I still like Compulsion which was awesome when I was on jellybean) :'(

Same settings for all the above set ups. Whenever I flash a ROM I ALWAYS clean flash and I DO NOT have Titanium Backup NOR do I use any other restoration app. I tried to clear and format every partition. I formatted SD card. SAME issue. I am frustrated by the battery life; it DOES NOT last me a day when on stock unrooted it was easily 8 hours. Also I do not use auto-brightness cuz the sensor uses more battery, so it was on half-brightness)

Someone please help me. The worst thing about a phone is the battery life. I usually browse Chrome and Facebook and for these simple tasks my battery dies quickly (WTH?!). I can't even think about gaming (and I REALLY want to GAME), but I know the battery life would die so much.

Is my phone defective? I tripped Knox. I already had a warranty replacement in like the first 2 weeks cuz of Knox issues stock. WTH is wrong with my phone. I want to format and clean EVERY SINGLE THING on my phone to get it the 8 hours screen on time I used to get. No matter what I do my battery life right now WILL NOT go above 4hr30min to 5hrs screen on. I used to watch Netflix for quite a while back on my stock Jellybean / rooted Jellybean days, now it dies extremely fast.

What should I do? I was thinking of flashing AOSP so it cleans up whatever Touchwiz and Samsung related is on my phone and then re-flash touchwiz so everything is set up correctly. I tried to use the mega-wipe script for a certain Note 3 model but it stopped at like 10% to 20%, so that route did not go well (I manually wiped everything data, internal, etc, before flashing many ROMs and this problem persisted).

I cannot do anything good on my phone until this issue is fixed. I hate clean-flashing and setting up things (I think titanium backup and stuff screws up your system) all the time. I cannot game, I cannot download good apps, I cannot do anything that is not online based or can be backed up online. Apparently my battery state is stated as "good" on the system.

Last edited:

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida
"... All of this in under one day..." Give it a few cycles over the next few days. It'll change. I've been using HyperDrive with ColonelX with the conservative governor tweaked for performance. Can't really say much about the battery life since I have the 10000mAh battery.

Sent from my HyperDrive SM-N900A/T

Reactions: mlock420

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
Dude, if it's all under one day. You need to let a ROM and kernel set In. You can't drive a car without wheels. Just give it 2 or 3 days it will begin to get better. That's what I think too but I give it some days to stabilised if you will . Then my battery goes from normal to good to great. It won't right away start getting great battery life. Unless you have a kernel your phone don't like and flash another it does like battery life improvements where almost instant at least in my case. Like now I'm getting Ok battery life. It's not the best. But it holds. I might switch kernels tonight to spice things up.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mlock420

Mystery?

Dec 19, 2010
Dude, if it's all under one day. You need to let a ROM and kernel set In. You can't drive a car without wheels. Just give it 2 or 3 days it will begin to get better. That's what I think too but I give it some days to stabilised if you will . Then my battery goes from normal to good to great. It won't right away start getting great battery life. Unless you have a kernel your phone don't like and flash another it does like battery life improvements where almost instant at least in my case. Like now I'm getting Ok battery life. It's not the best. But it holds. I might switch kernels tonight to spice things up.

I meant the right now part is under a few days. Idk why i said all under one day (it was late night). This has beena problem since February at least :(

Trust me I know you have to let a ROM and Kernel set in but my phone keeps working harder than its supposed to. Screen off battery is good, so wake locks are not the problem. The problem is cpu wise something is messed up that it puts my cpu to drain huge amounta of battery

atlprettygirl2145

Jun 17, 2012
I had this issue but it went away when I updated my phone to 4.2.2

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Lorettaa

Feb 5, 2014
iloilo
The rom and kernels might be the one messing your battery life, since your battery is in good state, but why not try replacing a battery if you have an extra and see the results...

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
"... All of this in under one day..." Give it a few cycles over the next few days. It'll change. I've been using HyperDrive with ColonelX with the conservative governor tweaked for performance. Can't really say much about the battery life since I have the 10000mAh battery.

Lol I to have zerolemons battery and I must say I dont have to worry about on screen time I get more than 10 hrs...but yeah gotta let the roms and kernals sit in for a day to a week...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
There is an app that can report this value. The premise is that certain cpu's have different values which indicate how the cpu will perform. The problem is, the same cpu can over time end up reporting different values which pretty much means it is not really a set hardware value and most likely means nothing.

You can find the large thread about it if you look, but it was pretty much debunked as a really value at the time.

Reactions: Lorettaa

mrej201

Mar 18, 2012
union city NJ
first download the new rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709867

put it on a sd card
make sure you have a custom recovery

1 go to setting back up and recovery do a reset from there

2 let the reset be done then restart the phone and go to recovery

from recovery do a full wipe factory restet

3 install the zip from the sd card

4 pick the apps you want with aroma installer and install compulsion kernel

4 finish installation and boot up

set up the phone and enjoy it bro.....

Reactions: Lorettaa

Lorettaa

Feb 5, 2014
iloilo

put it on a sd card

Nice battery life enhancer.

Reactions: mrej201

messiahfreedom

Oct 30, 2013
Brooklyn
You have to let the rom settle before you can get accurate battery life akin to the rom and kernel. Trust me I know this as a fact. I have been flashing roms like crazy since the days of the Samsung admire and the rom takes days to settle.

megapixle

Jul 3, 2008
I have the same problem. 4.3 battery life was 6 hours screen time, 4.4 down to 3 hours screen time. Note 3 used to be my ideal, perfect phone. 4.4 ruined that.

messiahfreedom

Oct 30, 2013
Brooklyn
I have the same problem. 4.3 battery life was 6 hours screen time, 4.4 down to 3 hours screen time. Note 3 used to be my ideal, perfect phone. 4.4 ruined that.

You made sure to toggle allows allow scanning off?
Toggle either power-saving or GPS only under location?
Power saving mode if applicable?
Turning of haptic feedback?

The always allow scanning seems to be the number one battery killer for me. I turned that off and noticed immediately better battery life. Almost akin to an extra minute per one percent, which adds up.

megapixle

Jul 3, 2008
You made sure to toggle allows allow scanning off?
Toggle either power-saving or GPS only under location?
Power saving mode if applicable?
Turning of haptic feedback?

The always allow scanning seems to be the number one battery killer for me. I turned that off and noticed immediately better battery life. Almost akin to an extra minute per one percent, which adds up.

Yep, did all that stuff from day 1 back on 4.3. Updating to 4.4 was the most frustrating thing ever. Many people here report great battery life with 4.4, but many like myself had it slashed in half upon upgrading. It ruined an otherwise perfect phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Maybe you have the dreadful chip with "1". Mines a "3" so it's OK

There is an app that can report this value. The premise is that certain cpu's have different values which indicate how the cpu will perform. The problem is, the same cpu can over time end up reporting different values which pretty much means it is not really a set hardware value and most likely means nothing.

You can find the large thread about it if you look, but it was pretty much debunked as a really value at the time.

put it on a sd card