WIND, Canada M8, lost stock recovery, OTA update

Search This thread

SpaceEraser

Apr 22, 2014
EDIT: wrong section, sorry, please move to Help section or delete

So a mandatory OTA update notification popped up on my phone today, but I can't flash it without the stock recovery, and I can't find the right stock recovery for my phone anywhere.
It keeps bugging me every 4 hours to install it.
Is there anything I can do to get the update (maybe without stock recovery) or am I just boned?

some info:
version-main: 1.12.1500.18
cid: GLOBA001
recovery: philz_touch_6.26.6
rooted, S-OFF, HTCDev bootloader unlocked

Last edited:

Toni10

Mar 27, 2010
EDIT: wrong section, sorry, please move to Help section or delete

So a mandatory OTA update notification popped up on my phone today, but I can't flash it without the stock recovery, and I can't find the right stock recovery for my phone anywhere.
It keeps bugging me every 4 hours to install it.
Is there anything I can do to get the update (maybe without stock recovery) or am I just boned?

some info:
version-main: 1.12.1500.18
cid: GLOBA001
recovery: philz_touch_6.26.6
rooted, S-OFF, HTCDev bootloader unlocked

Take a look at my Reply in this Thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2732679

And read the "Questions & Answers" in the second post of this Thread.
COLLECTION of Stock backup's by Mr Hofs

Regards, Toni

SpaceEraser

Apr 22, 2014
Take a look at my Reply in this Thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2732679

And read the "Questions & Answers" in the second post of this Thread.
COLLECTION of Stock backup's by Mr Hofs

Regards, Toni

I've already looked at that collection of stock ROMs, but none of them matched my phone's version-main of 1.12.1500.18. I did try 1.12.1540.17 but no luck.

Fortunately, I think I know what the problem is; the update (with the mismatched 1.12.1540.17 recovery) crashes with the message:
"/system/app/PartnerBookmarksProvider.apk" has unexpected contents.
so I looked up that APK and it doesn't even exist, probably because unlocking my bootloader got rid of it (along with a bunch of others, including the Calculator and Flashlight apps). So if I could find the apps that were removed while unlocking the phone's bootloader, I think it'll work.
I also tried removing the line that checks for PartnerBookmarksProvider.apk from the updater-script, but that changed the hash of the update zip and any attempt to install was aborted almost immediately.

Toni10

Mar 27, 2010
I've already looked at that collection of stock ROMs, but none of them matched my phone's version-main of 1.12.1500.18. I did try 1.12.1540.17 but no luck.

Fortunately, I think I know what the problem is; the update (with the mismatched 1.12.1540.17 recovery) crashes with the message:
"/system/app/PartnerBookmarksProvider.apk" has unexpected contents.
so I looked up that APK and it doesn't even exist, probably because unlocking my bootloader got rid of it (along with a bunch of others, including the Calculator and Flashlight apps). So if I could find the apps that were removed while unlocking the phone's bootloader, I think it'll work.
I also tried removing the line that checks for PartnerBookmarksProvider.apk from the updater-script, but that changed the hash of the update zip and any attempt to install was aborted almost immediately.

Did you try another Recovery, for example 1.12.401.17?

Woud this help?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2703759