[HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011)

Search This thread

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
I saw this information posted elsewhere in pieces and thought I'd bring it together. I didn't make this procedure, but I can confirm that it works (and so can many others now). This is absolutely for the LG Optimus V and no other phone. Do not do this unless you understand what a PRL is and why you are doing it. There is some risk in doing this. I'm sure Virgin and Sprint would not be happy to know of this mod. It might even be blocked in the future by changing the way Sprint's towers filters Virgin users. Do this at your own risk! I take no responsibility!

1. Requirements:

Windows
LG Optimus V USB Serial Drivers (updated 3/22/2011)
Read the first few pages of this thread if you have driver issues. You can also try this. Thank you rjones1981.

You don't need to have a rooted phone to do this.

2. Get Your MSL Code:

New Technique (thanks to mmarz)
  1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
  2. Click this link
  3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
  4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Old Technique
  1. Download CDMA Workshop 3.6.0 Demo
  2. Turn on USB Debugging, and connect your phone to your PC.
  3. Open Device Manager.
  4. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
  5. Change the value to a port number below 10. (demo restriction of CDMA Workshop)
  6. Run CDMA Workshop
  7. Select the proper port from step 4. Hit "Connect."
  8. Under the "Security" tab, find "SPC/User Lock."
  9. Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read."
  10. Write down the number that appears in the box. This is your MSL code. Now close CDMA Workshop, we won't need it anymore.

3. Update Your PRL:
  1. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
  2. Open Device Manager.
  3. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
  4. Make a note of your COM port number.
  5. Download and install QPST v2.7.
  6. Open "QPST Configuration".
  7. In the "Ports" tab, if your com port isn't listed, select "Add New Port" and write in your com port as "COM#" (# being the number you noted in step 4). Verify that your com port is listed.
  8. Make sure your phone appears in the the "Active Phones" tab.
  9. Click "Start Clients." Choose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
  10. Click "Read from Phone."
  11. Enter your MSL code when promoted. (It will not finish reading from your phone. It will stop near the end and report an error. This is normal.)
  12. Hit "Save to File" to backup your phone's settings and PRL to a .qcn file. (Optional but recommended)
  13. Select the "Roaming" tab.
  14. Under "Preferred Roaming Enable" choose "Browse..." and select the 01115.prl or 61677.prl file. (attached below, also see update 6)
  15. Under the "System" tab change "Roam Preference" to "Home only". (Optional but recommended)
  16. Click "Write to Phone," and your phone should immediately reboot. Do not disconnect your phone until it has booted back up.

To confirm that this worked, go into settings > about phone > status. You should have the new PRL and all that it entails. To reverse the process, follow the same steps but use the Virgin 61007 PRL or use your .qcn backup by selecting "Load from File" in the QPST SERVICE PROGRAMMING.

If you try different PRL's and get better service, please post your results here.

Update 1: Even though you can enable roaming using the QPST System tab under Roam Preferences, and you can actually connect to the Verizon towers, your calls will prompt you for a credit card, and your data will not work while roaming. I recommend leaving roaming on "Home Only." Even though you can't roam, an updated PRL will give you better coverage on Sprint's network. There are already reports that this fixes the 3G connectivity issue.

Update 2: I have created a hybrid PRL numbered 61676. I manually picked that number, and it may conflict with the PRL # of one released in the distant future, just fyi. I created the PRL by taking 60676 and removing a few roaming entries to make room. I then compared the entries in 61007 to it, and added all the non-roaming entries that 60676 lacked. It will almost be impossible to figure out if these additional entries help at all, but they can't hurt. I'm attaching 61676 below if you guys want to test it out. I promise nothing, but so far my phone has not complained about using it. Let me know how it works out if you do try it.

Update 3: Added new 60677 and a new hybrid 61677

Update 4: Proof that it is worthwhile to do!

Update 5: Added 01115 PRL. It is the latest from Sprint. Don't know why it is numbered like it is. I'm not going to make another hybrid prl for it because it is too time consuming, and I see no benefits from it.

Update 6: I'll no longer keep this updated for new PRL's. You can find new ones as they are posted here: http://cid-eabe29f3770d8d15.skydriv...Public/PRLs?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=636785150

Update 7: Newest PRL posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17690691&postcount=201

Roaming does not work on Virgin Mobile! If you do roam, you will not receive your phone calls or texts, and you won't be able to make calls or send texts! Your data will also not work if roaming. Set your "Roam Preference" to "Home only", and you don't have to worry about roaming.

Attachments

• 60676.rar
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 61007.rar
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 61676.rar
    3.5 KB · Views: 709
  • 60677.rar
    4 KB · Views: 708
  • 61677.rar
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,805
  • 01115.rar
    4 KB · Views: 1,655
Last edited:

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
This was never in pieces, why don't you give proper thanks to the original poster from android central?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...irgin-mobile-prl-61007-needed-enter-help.html

Haha, you should be asking why he doesn't give proper thanks to me. I wrote this, and he copied it. Before I wrote it, it was spread out over a bunch of posts. I don't really care either way. I didn't invent the phone, the programs, or the procedure. I'm just glad the info is out there.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...prl-61007-needed-enter-help-5.html#post715849

I guess he did reference me. :)

Last edited:

i shot jfk

Feb 8, 2011
springtown
I've installed all of the proper drivers but my phone is not showing up in device manager. i have a rooted V on sublimewulf's stock rom.

my cpu is running 64bit win7. after a little research i believe the sprint prl will help me quite a bit in my hometown.

is there anything thing i can do to set com for my phone?

UPDATE found my phone its not using the lg drivers, its using adb sooner driver but i cant figure out how to get it ti show in ports tab

Last edited:

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
I've installed all of the proper drivers but my phone is not showing up in device manager. i have a rooted V on sublimewulf's stock rom.

my cpu is running 64bit win7. after a little research i believe the sprint prl will help me quite a bit in my hometown.

is there anything thing i can do to set com for my phone?

UPDATE found my phone its not using the lg drivers, its using adb sooner driver but i cant figure out how to get it ti show in ports tab

Uninstall the other drivers and install the correct ones.

overthinkingme

Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
overthinkingme.com
Does anyone know how to fix the "Failed..phone does not answer" response I get from CDMA when I try to read the spc using the lg method?
This is something I'd really like to try.
Thank you for taking the time to write the guide!

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Does anyone know how to fix the "Failed..phone does not answer" response I get from CDMA when I try to read the spc using the lg method?
This is something I'd really like to try.
Thank you for taking the time to write the guide!

Which version of CDMA Workshop are you using? It works fine using the demo linked above. You may want to also try reinstalling the drivers. After you click connect, does pressing the read button next to it return an error?

danwil77

Aug 25, 2009
Yeah, i must be missing something here, I installed what should be the right drivers I'd thought but when I plug the phone in there's nothing in device manager under ports... There's an "ADB Interface" now with "Android Sooner Single ADB" under it. There's a Google mass Storage USB Device under Disk Drives, and a new USB Mass storage device under Universal Serial Bus...
So what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?
Thanks for any help!

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, i must be missing something here, I installed what should be the right drivers I'd thought but when I plug the phone in there's nothing in device manager under ports... There's an "ADB Interface" now with "Android Sooner Single ADB" under it. There's a Google mass Storage USB Device under Disk Drives, and a new USB Mass storage device under Universal Serial Bus...
So what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?
Thanks for any help!

Same issue here. If I install the phone's USB drivers from the LG website (http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-VM670.jsp, under "Resources" tab) I get an "ADB Interface" section in the device manager with "Android Sooner Single ADB" under it, exactly as the previous poster described.

If I uninstall those and install the drivers linked to in the OP, I then get told that no driver was found for my device when I plug in my phone. It should be noted that the page linked to by the original poster identifies the drivers there as being for the LG-LS670, which would be the Optimus S... The Sprint version of the phone. The Optimus V is technically the LG-VM670. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Optimus_One#LG_Optimus_S_-_LS670_-_Sprint).

Could this be why my system is refusing to use those drivers?

Are those of you who've connected to your Optimus V with the drivers linked to in the OP all running hacked ROMs?

Reactions: freddysam

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Same issue here. If I install the phone's USB drivers from the LG website (http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-VM670.jsp, under "Resources" tab) I get an "ADB Interface" section in the device manager with "Android Sooner Single ADB" under it, exactly as the previous poster described.

If I uninstall those and install the drivers linked to in the OP, I then get told that no driver was found for my device when I plug in my phone. It should be noted that the page linked to by the original poster identifies the drivers there as being for the LG-LS670, which would be the Optimus S... The Sprint version of the phone. The Optimus V is technically the LG-VM670. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Optimus_One#LG_Optimus_S_-_LS670_-_Sprint).

Could this be why my system is refusing to use those drivers?

Are those of you who've connected to your Optimus V with the drivers linked to in the OP all running hacked ROMs?

I uploaded the drivers myself and fixed the link in the original post. Uninstall and delete (using device manager) the "Android Sooner Single ADB" driver and try unplugging and reinserting the USB cable.. If the device shows up as unrecognized, Right click on it in the device manager window> Update Driver Software> Browse my Computer> Let me pick from a list> All> (wait for the list to be populated)> LG Electronics> LGE Android Platform USB Serial.

Last edited:

overthinkingme

Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
overthinkingme.com
Which version of CDMA Workshop are you using? It works fine using the demo linked above. You may want to also try reinstalling the drivers. After you click connect, does pressing the read button next to it return an error?

CDMA 2.7, I am going to try the demo and see if that helps.
Read also returns the same error. It connects fine though.

EDIT:
Figured it out!
Don't connect to the modem port.
I should have read the directions more slowly. :D

Last edited:

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I uploaded the drivers myself and fixed the link in the original post. Uninstall the other drivers you are using and install these. If the device shows up as unrecognized, Right click on it in the device manager window> Update Driver Software> Browse my Computer> Let me pick from a list> All> (wait for the list to be populated)> LG Electronics> LGE Android Platform USB Serial

Okay... I've uninstalled any LG drivers I previously had installed, installed the drivers you uploaded.

Screen0.png

Turned on USB Debugging on my phone and plugged it in. Device Manager shows this:

Screen1.png

I right click, "Update Driver Software" => "Browse my computer for driver software" => "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"... This brings me here:

Screen2.png

Unchecking "Show compatible hardware" gives me a lot more options, including a couple of references to the "HTC Dream" (which I believe is another name for the T-Mobile G1, the first widely available Android phone)... But nothing about USB Serial.

Screen3.png

The only thing I have showing up under ports is a "Printer Port (LPT1)." What am I doing wrong? Any clue?

danwil77

Aug 25, 2009
Same exact results here as above, can't get the USB Serial drivers to show up anywhere after uninstalling and installing the new drivers that were uploaded...
I've tried it on Windows 7 Home 32bit and also Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with the same results (of course i'd already tried the install with the other drivers on both machines... Should I dig out an XP machine to try this on?
Has anyone with an un-rooted Optimus V gotten this to work?

I hope after all this trouble (assuming i get it to work) it actually does help with all the 3g data outages like i've been promised :)

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Okay... I've uninstalled any LG drivers I previously had installed, installed the drivers you uploaded.

http://www.kate6.org/Screen0.png

Turned on USB Debugging on my phone and plugged it in. Device Manager shows this:

http://www.kate6.org/Screen1.png

I right click, "Update Driver Software" => "Browse my computer for driver software" => "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"... This brings me here:

http://www.kate6.org/Screen2.png

Unchecking "Show compatible hardware" gives me a lot more options, including a couple of references to the "HTC Dream" (which I believe is another name for the T-Mobile G1, the first widely available Android phone)... But nothing about USB Serial.

http://www.kate6.org/Screen3.png

The only thing I have showing up under ports is a "Printer Port (LPT1)." What am I doing wrong? Any clue?

You didn't uninstall the Android Sooner Single ADB Interface Driver. Right click on it and select Uninstall. When it asks you to confirm, check the box to delete the drivers. Then follow the directions I posted to manually add the correct driver.

Takenover83

Nov 6, 2009
Haha, you should be asking why he doesn't give proper thanks to me. I wrote this, and he copied it. Before I wrote it, it was spread out over a bunch of posts. I don't really care either way. I didn't invent the phone, the programs, or the procedure. I'm just glad the info is out there.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...prl-61007-needed-enter-help-5.html#post715849

Hmmmm, really? OK... Yes, it was spread out (in one thread, not multiple). But you gave no mention where you obtained the info from. But thanks for cleaning it up, cause it did help a few people get going.

Last edited:

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
You didn't uninstall the Android Sooner Single ADB Interface Driver. Right click on it and select Uninstall. When it asks you to confirm, check the box to delete the drivers. Then follow the directions I posted to manually add the correct driver.

God, I hate Windows. There's no Mac-native or Linux-native programs that can do this, are there?

At this point there was nothing to right click on, which I assume means that when I uninstalled the drivers through the "Uninstall Programs" control panel it left some files behind that were mucking up the process. So I went ahead and reinstalled the driver's from LG's, website, reconnected my phone to get the "Sooner Single" to show up, then right clicked on it, chose uninstall and make sure Delete was selected.

Then I went in the Uninstall control panel to make sure everything was deleted. Then I deleted anything that looked like it was owned by LG under C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

Then I installed your drivers, as linked in the first post and plugged my phone back in. And it showed back up as the "Sooner Single" interface, but had a "Device Cannot Start" error on it... Which I'm guessing means that driver was actually in your package. Right clicked, uninstall, make sure I check Delete... Unplug and replug my phone back in. This time I get an "Android USB Device" that the system was unable to find a driver for.

So I followed your directions.... Update Driver, Search my computer, etc. There appears to be both an "LG Electronics, Inc" entry and an "LG Electronics Inc" (without the comma) entry. One of them has two Serial Port drivers, and two NMEA GPS Port drivers, the other has three of each. I've at this point tried all five of the Serial Port drivers.

The ones from the group of three (I can't remember if that's the one with the comma or without) required me to reboot my computer when I installed them and then, after the reboot, had a "Device cannot start" on them. The other two managed to start, but when I hit the "Connect" button in the CDMA Workshop it says "Failed to open COMx"... I tried switching around between COM1, COM3, COM5 (making sure to always have the same port selected in both the device manager and the CDMA Workshop)... I tried messing with the baud rate setting, again matching them in both locations.

No go.

I'm doing all of this on two machines, btw... An installation of Windows 7 64 bit running under Parallels Desktop on my Mac, and an install of Windows 7 32 bit running on a friend's computer with no virtualization. Getting identical results on both. Well, I did discover that my friend's computer freezes up mid-POST if my phone is plugged into its USB port while it's rebooting, which was just a little bit of extra frustration to deal with.

Any more hints?

I'd really like to get this working... I've had data outages of several hours almost every day for 2-3 weeks now, usually during prime time usage hours (i.e. around noon, and around 4pm to 7-8pm.) Would love anything that would make the stop or even lessen it.

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
Wow Kate, ok. Install one of the drivers that is labeled "LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port", I don't think it matters which one. Then make sure no other com ports conflict with the com port you choose. To make sure, restart your computer after changing the port and verify it didn't change. You obviously have debugging enabled on your phone, otherwise the driver wouldn't even appear....Hmmm. I agree that windows makes all of this so much harder than it has to be. The problem with the drivers is a perfect example of how something so simple requires a full days worth of trial and error to fix.

Hmmmm, really? OK... Yes, it was spread out (in one thread, not multiple). But you gave no mention where you obtained the info from. But thanks for cleaning it up, cause it did help a few people get going.

Actually, the only part I got from your thread was the procedure to use the Demo version of CDMA workshop to get the MSL code. The rest a pieced together from XDA posts and forums:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=940612
http://mark.cdmaforums.com/QPSTSetup.htm
http://www.evanvaughan.com/default.aspx?pageid=56EED25AA49D4B1C

I also didn't use pirated software to get the VM PRL. When you read from the phone using QPST, even though it gives an error, it does download the phone's PRL. You can then save that to a QCN file with the rest of the phone settings. You can then extract the PRL using QPST's Roaming List editor. You should know that the pirated copy of CDMA workshop that is floating around online has been flagged as containing a virus multiple times.

Again, you copied and pasted my entire post and gave no reference to me. I did not complain because this isn't anything besides a walk through.

I'm going to be posting a new PRL soon just for VM users that has all of the roaming features of 60676 removed and adds in the difference from 61007. Feel free to post it in your thread too.

Takenover83

Nov 6, 2009
Again, you copied and pasted my entire post and gave no reference to me. I did not complain because this isn't anything besides a walk through.
I didn't? Maybe you should go read your post #3 again. You admit to me referencing you. I did mention it and went as far to call it "nice". That is more then you did for me.

freddysam

Nov 18, 2009
I didn't? Maybe you should go read your post #3 again. You admit to me referencing you. I did mention it and went as far to call it "nice". That is more then you did for me.

Haha, I'm really not looking for a pissing match, and we both have links to each others threads. So I'm just going to leave it at that.

I posted the new PRL if you want to try it out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw this information posted elsewhere in pieces and thought I'd bring it together. I didn't make this procedure, but I can confirm that it works (and so can many others now). This is absolutely for the LG Optimus V and no other phone. Do not do this unless you understand what a PRL is and why you are doing it. There is some risk in doing this. I'm sure Virgin and Sprint would not be happy to know of this mod. It might even be blocked in the future by changing the way Sprint's towers filters Virgin users. Do this at your own risk! I take no responsibility!

1. Requirements:

Windows
    LG Optimus V USB Serial Drivers (updated 3/22/2011)
    Read the first few pages of this thread if you have driver issues. You can also try this. Thank you rjones1981.

You don't need to have a rooted phone to do this.

2. Get Your MSL Code:

New Technique (thanks to mmarz)
    1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
    2. Click this link
    3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
    4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Old Technique
    1. Download CDMA Workshop 3.6.0 Demo
    2. Turn on USB Debugging, and connect your phone to your PC.
    3. Open Device Manager.
    4. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    5. Change the value to a port number below 10. (demo restriction of CDMA Workshop)
    6. Run CDMA Workshop
    7. Select the proper port from step 4. Hit "Connect."
    8. Under the "Security" tab, find "SPC/User Lock."
    9. Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read."
    10. Write down the number that appears in the box. This is your MSL code. Now close CDMA Workshop, we won't need it anymore.

3. Update Your PRL:
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
    2. Open Device Manager.
    3. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    4. Make a note of your COM port number.
    5. Download and install QPST v2.7.
    6. Open "QPST Configuration".
    7. In the "Ports" tab, if your com port isn't listed, select "Add New Port" and write in your com port as "COM#" (# being the number you noted in step 4). Verify that your com port is listed.
    8. Make sure your phone appears in the the "Active Phones" tab.
    9. Click "Start Clients." Choose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
    10. Click "Read from Phone."
    11. Enter your MSL code when promoted. (It will not finish reading from your phone. It will stop near the end and report an error. This is normal.)
    12. Hit "Save to File" to backup your phone's settings and PRL to a .qcn file. (Optional but recommended)
    13. Select the "Roaming" tab.
    14. Under "Preferred Roaming Enable" choose "Browse..." and select the 01115.prl or 61677.prl file. (attached below, also see update 6)
    15. Under the "System" tab change "Roam Preference" to "Home only". (Optional but recommended)
    16. Click "Write to Phone," and your phone should immediately reboot. Do not disconnect your phone until it has booted back up.

To confirm that this worked, go into settings > about phone > status. You should have the new PRL and all that it entails. To reverse the process, follow the same steps but use the Virgin 61007 PRL or use your .qcn backup by selecting "Load from File" in the QPST SERVICE PROGRAMMING.

If you try different PRL's and get better service, please post your results here.

Update 1: Even though you can enable roaming using the QPST System tab under Roam Preferences, and you can actually connect to the Verizon towers, your calls will prompt you for a credit card, and your data will not work while roaming. I recommend leaving roaming on "Home Only." Even though you can't roam, an updated PRL will give you better coverage on Sprint's network. There are already reports that this fixes the 3G connectivity issue.

Update 2: I have created a hybrid PRL numbered 61676. I manually picked that number, and it may conflict with the PRL # of one released in the distant future, just fyi. I created the PRL by taking 60676 and removing a few roaming entries to make room. I then compared the entries in 61007 to it, and added all the non-roaming entries that 60676 lacked. It will almost be impossible to figure out if these additional entries help at all, but they can't hurt. I'm attaching 61676 below if you guys want to test it out. I promise nothing, but so far my phone has not complained about using it. Let me know how it works out if you do try it.

Update 3: Added new 60677 and a new hybrid 61677

Update 4: Proof that it is worthwhile to do!

Update 5: Added 01115 PRL. It is the latest from Sprint. Don't know why it is numbered like it is. I'm not going to make another hybrid prl for it because it is too time consuming, and I see no benefits from it.

Update 6: I'll no longer keep this updated for new PRL's. You can find new ones as they are posted here: http://cid-eabe29f3770d8d15.skydriv...Public/PRLs?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=636785150

Update 7: Newest PRL posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17690691&postcount=201

Roaming does not work on Virgin Mobile! If you do roam, you will not receive your phone calls or texts, and you won't be able to make calls or send texts! Your data will also not work if roaming. Set your "Roam Preference" to "Home only", and you don't have to worry about roaming.
    This was never in pieces, why don't you give proper thanks to the original poster from android central?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...irgin-mobile-prl-61007-needed-enter-help.html

Here is my version of CDMA Workshop. I believe it is 3.6.0, it works

Enjoy
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3zwgsuqwtq2qa4e

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest sprint prl's can be found here (I'm not liable, if you flash an incompatible one) He keeps them updated pretty good. I'm currently on the 60685 (a tad old I know, lol).

http://www.batonrougebroadband.info

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1747257
    i just want to confirm, do i need to revert to stock to do this? i'm currently running Backside. thanks!

you don't have to revert, just use xionia recovery and use qpst while booted into recovery. Even if you can't see the screen because of an older version of xionia, it'll still allow qpst to talk to the hardware, and you can flash your existing recovery back with flash image gui from backside, or with adb or terminal if you prefer.

someone said earlier that they were able to use qpst with iho, maybe bob fixed the usb id issues in the kernel... you can try qpst before changing recoveries, and if it can talk to the phone, you're good to go without changing anything.

if iho kernel is now working with qpst, please post that info and I'll stop telling people it doesn't work :p