Various issues after OTA update (SIM, signal, power button)

Search This thread

midwestkel

Aug 23, 2007
I updated on Thursday and have been having some issues since then. The first thing I noticed was the signal strength bars are weaker, where I would normally have 4-5 bars I now have 1-2 still on LTE though.

The next thing that happened was Friday night, there was no service and the phone said there was no SIM card. I power cycled the phone and then it came back up without the error. This happened again tonight, Saturday.

My other issue/question is how do I turn off the phone? Before when I would hold down the power button it would have a dialog that let me put it in airplane mode, restart or power off. Now when I hold it down the 3 buttons blink and it tells me to keep holding down to restart and that's it.

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
I updated on Thursday and have been having some issues since then. The first thing I noticed was the signal strength bars are weaker, where I would normally have 4-5 bars I now have 1-2 still on LTE though.

The next thing that happened was Friday night, there was no service and the phone said there was no SIM card. I power cycled the phone and then it came back up without the error. This happened again tonight, Saturday.

My other issue/question is how do I turn off the phone? Before when I would hold down the power button it would have a dialog that let me put it in airplane mode, restart or power off. Now when I hold it down the 3 buttons blink and it tells me to keep holding down to restart and that's it.

sounds like wipe data time. I don't have that behavior.

Briankbl

Dec 10, 2012

I have been experiencing this exact same thing. A reboot fixes it, but still incredibly annoying.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Sherrills Ford, NC
I FINALLY got the SIM issue the other night. I popped the sim out and put it back in and havent had an issue since.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
I was getting the sim car error often before the update I powered off, and re seated the sim card and powered on and I haven't had an issue since then. Also I have never had the issue with signal or the power button.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
After you pop the SIM card, boot into recovery and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and go into advanced and fix permissions. Reboot and profit. This SIM error is a permissions thing getting screwed up.

midwestkel

Aug 23, 2007
I did a factory reset last night and just the issue again. My DNA is stock so I don't know how to clear the caches. Any other ideas?

kampana

Jun 15, 2010
Google Now opens browser instead of application

After the update, Google Now / voice search opens up a browser instead of the application needed.

For instance, if I ask for directions to a place, the phone opens Chrome with directions. The directions are no where near where I am. If I try to dial someone via voice, the Google Now card pops up with the person's contact followed immediately by Chrome.

I'm not sure if anyone has a fix for this, but it's certainly annoying and drastically reduces the capabilities of this phone for me.

Thanks all,
Mike

tuxly

Dec 16, 2012
After the update, Google Now / voice search opens up a browser instead of the application needed.

For instance, if I ask for directions to a place, the phone opens Chrome with directions. The directions are no where near where I am. If I try to dial someone via voice, the Google Now card pops up with the person's contact followed immediately by Chrome.

I'm not sure if anyone has a fix for this, but it's certainly annoying and drastically reduces the capabilities of this phone for me.

Thanks all,
Mike

I got the update today and google now works same as it did before for me. Ask for directions, it goes to maps and show me directions and try to voice dial someone and their card pops up followed by call initiation. I just use the stock browser though, not chrome. Maybe it is chrome.

Also noticed there is a new location service option now, after update, for google search in addition to the previous options for verizon, google and gps. Will be interesting to see how this changes search accuracy, if at all.

kampana

Jun 15, 2010
I got the update today and google now works same as it did before for me. Ask for directions, it goes to maps and show me directions and try to voice dial someone and their card pops up followed by call initiation. I just use the stock browser though, not chrome. Maybe it is chrome.

Also noticed there is a new location service option now, after update, for google search in addition to the previous options for verizon, google and gps. Will be interesting to see how this changes search accuracy, if at all.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling Google Search, it now works properly.

beddachedda

Jul 29, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Regarding the turn off, it sounds like you're trying to turn it off from the lock screen. Swipe in and then try.

Otherwise I haven't had any issues with the OTA and it actually helped a lot with the volume (lowest volume was still really loud before) and I seem to be getting better WiFi signal.