[Q] Help Me Choose a ROM?

Search This thread

scottad

Jun 28, 2010
Probably not the first, won't be the last. I rooted my N7 with WugFresh root toolkit. But I can't choose a ROM. I would prefer close to vanilla with the advanced power menu that includes reboot and bootloader if possible. I have TWRP for recovery.

I've looked at Kangakat, CleanROM and Sinless. If one of them is better over the other that would be fine. Or another ROM. I want the latest build (KOT49H) and OTA potential.

meekrawb

Mar 25, 2012
TX
Probably not the first, won't be the last. I rooted my N7 with WugFresh root toolkit. But I can't choose a ROM. I would prefer close to vanilla with the advanced power menu that includes reboot and bootloader if possible. I have TWRP for recovery.

I've looked at Kangakat, CleanROM and Sinless. If one of them is better over the other that would be fine. Or another ROM. I want the latest build (KOT49H) and OTA potential.

Everyone's taste is different. You should flash them all to find out which one suits you best.

scottad

Jun 28, 2010
I did install Xposed and a few modules. Also added a different kernel. Elemental-X

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ed V

Jan 29, 2013
Nexus Island

You don't need another rom for that, just Xposed and the GrafityBox plugin :)

vparres

Apr 3, 2010
Méribel-les-Allues
vparres.com
Personally I've Installed Cyanogenmod Nightlies, with ElementalX Kernel. CM ROMs are close to stock, but with some cool stuff. you can activate advanced power menu in CM in Developers section. The latest Nightlies are stable and smooth, and the battery life is correct.
Don't forget, unlocking your device will do a full wipe :laugh:

Sincerely :p

BioDesigner48

Jan 27, 2013
Tulsa
Speaking of CM11, what isn't stable? Like what problems have you came across? If any that is cx

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Personally I've Installed Cyanogenmod Nightlies, with ElementalX Kernel. CM ROMs are close to stock, but with some cool stuff. you can activate advanced power menu in CM in Developers section. The latest Nightlies are stable and smooth, and the battery life is correct.
Don't forget, unlocking your device will do a full wipe :laugh:

Sincerely :p

CM is about as far from stock as one can get.

vparres

Apr 3, 2010
Méribel-les-Allues
vparres.com
Speaking of CM11, what isn't stable? Like what problems have you came across? If any that is cx

I experienced some bootloops, lags, even some fonctions broken (Wifi, proxymity sens, etc) in some nightlies. I experienced it on my friend's Galaxy S2, but i never experienced something like that with my N7 on "stock" CM11. In fact, i bought my N7 recently :D

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
look into omnirom...

I am not going to say any ROM is better than others because all ROMs have their pros and cons. To find out which ROM you like best you will have to try and experiment for yourself.

Nexus devices have a wonderful recovery manager which is TWRP which stands for Team Win Recovery Project. Nexus devices also have a great tool which works with TWRP recovery manager, this tool is call MultiROM manager. What multirom manager does is it allows you to install multiple ROM's on your Nexus device without harming or altering your stock ROM.

In order to use multirom you need to first patch your stock ROM with the kexec-hardboot patch. That can be done very easily. First thing you need to do is root your device. If you are going to root your device i would also recommend unlocking the tablets bootloader. This can all be done with WuGFresh's NRT (nexus root toolkit). Here is a link for NRT -> http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

After you have your tablet rooted and bootloader unlocked then install TWRP recovery, again all of this can be done with the Nexus Root Toolkit.

After that you can go to the google play store and download the app MultiROM Manager. This is the easiest way to install multirom. Here is the link for multirom manager -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tassadar.multirommgr

Again, if you don't have your stock kernel patched with the kexec-harboot patch you won't be able to boot multiple roms. You can patch your stock kernel with the kexec-harboot patch from multirom manager.

So once you have unlocked bootloader + root + twrp recovery manager + kexec harboot patch for stock kernel (from stock rom) + multirom manager you have the freedom to do whatever you want to your tablet without harming or modifying your stock rom.

As for a custom ROM i would recommend that you look into OmniROM. It has gotten good reviews and i personally love it. I find it very stable and it also has a really nice feature with multi-windows and split screens.

Another thing you might be interested in is look into "xposed framework" that allows you to customize your stock or custom rom by adding things like multi-windows or advanced reboot menu for example.

I hope this has been helpful...

If you get stuck on anything there is great documentation on rooting + twrp recovery manager here on xda or you can find great videos on youtube.com.

-droidshadow

BioDesigner48

Jan 27, 2013
Tulsa
I am not going to say any ROM is better than others because all ROMs have their pros and cons. To find out which ROM you like best you will have to try and experiment for yourself.

Nexus devices have a wonderful recovery manager which is TWRP which stands for Team Win Recovery Project. Nexus devices also have a great tool which works with TWRP recovery manager, this tool is call MultiROM manager. What multirom manager does is it allows you to install multiple ROM's on your Nexus device without harming or altering your stock ROM.

In order to use multirom you need to first patch your stock ROM with the kexec-hardboot patch. That can be done very easily. First thing you need to do is root your device. If you are going to root your device i would also recommend unlocking the tablets bootloader. This can all be done with WuGFresh's NRT (nexus root toolkit). Here is a link for NRT -> http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

After you have your tablet rooted and bootloader unlocked then install TWRP recovery, again all of this can be done with the Nexus Root Toolkit.

After that you can go to the google play store and download the app MultiROM Manager. This is the easiest way to install multirom. Here is the link for multirom manager -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tassadar.multirommgr

Again, if you don't have your stock kernel patched with the kexec-harboot patch you won't be able to boot multiple roms. You can patch your stock kernel with the kexec-harboot patch from multirom manager.

So once you have unlocked bootloader + root + twrp recovery manager + kexec harboot patch for stock kernel (from stock rom) + multirom manager you have the freedom to do whatever you want to your tablet without harming or modifying your stock rom.

As for a custom ROM i would recommend that you look into OmniROM. It has gotten good reviews and i personally love it. I find it very stable and it also has a really nice feature with multi-windows and split screens.

Another thing you might be interested in is look into "xposed framework" that allows you to customize your stock or custom rom by adding things like multi-windows or advanced reboot menu for example.

If you get stuck on anything there is great documentation on rooting + twrp recovery manager here on xda or you can find great videos on youtube.com.

-droidshadow

Thanks I was thinking bout omni ROM lol

sent from my LG Optimus L9 P769 v20h
I'm on YouTube (aSuperSaiyanG0D)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    look into omnirom...

-droidshadow