Seems like whatsapp is serious into getting onto our phones

Search This thread

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore
Those in the whatsapp beta for Android should update your software ASAP, because they just put in push functionality for everyone with a 2.2 phone. Is this the only software so far not from google to actually use the 2.2 push function? (C2DM and the likes do not count)

JexL

Jan 16, 2009
how is it different to what its doing now?? i shall update soon after i finish charging

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore
how is it different to what its doing now?? i shall update soon after i finish charging

It doesn't poll like the old version anymore, and after some testing, I am getting my messages a little faster, because there is usually a 10-20 second delay when the app is sleeping, but this time it's like a 2-3 second after my friend sends me the text via whatsapp.

igotdatglow

Mar 29, 2010
Is the beta app available? Have they mentioned a release date?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

hwnstyle21

Mar 11, 2006
Whatsapp is probably one of the most useful apps for someone coming from a blackberry and misses BBMs. The difference is the speed but the main upside is that it's crossplatformed. Also the app is good for people that travel and have an open wifi spot. Free messaging to friends back home is well worth it.

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore
ahh right so there would be better battery life too?? :)
Definitely!

Is the beta app available? Have they mentioned a release date?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
Nope, but it should be within the next few months, it's already very stable other than some of the extra stuff like backgrounds, etc.

Whatsapp is probably one of the most useful apps for someone coming from a blackberry and misses BBMs. The difference is the speed but the main upside is that it's crossplatformed. Also the app is good for people that travel and have an open wifi spot. Free messaging to friends back home is well worth it.
Yeah, since I have quite a few friends with an iphone and BB, I'm able to send them messages via my data plan.

bcpk

Feb 11, 2010
AppBrain's Fastweb Installer uses C2DM too for installation of applications from your PC browser.

Anything that uses C2DM is immediately interesting, I'll check it out!

Abandoned-Trolley

Nov 10, 2008
Essex
Those in the whatsapp beta for Android should update your software ASAP, because they just put in push functionality for everyone with a 2.2 phone. Is this the only software so far not from google to actually use the 2.2 push function? (C2DM and the likes do not count)

I believe Pingchat uses push notifications. Works well on my Desire.

JexL

Jan 16, 2009
hows it different?

EDIT: also seems like there are sometimes big delays between messages. whatsapp keeps disconnecting in the new version

Last edited:

hwnstyle21

Mar 11, 2006
I had to revert back to an older verison I believe. Newest version yesterday kept logging me off also and messages were stalled until I sent one out then they'd all come in.

Looked on the changelog and they took off the "Push Notifications"

Currently running: v1.0.6138

hatim

Dec 19, 2005
I'm using whatsapp on 2.1. working pretty well so far. :) ... thinking of getting 2.2 but no sense UI ROM for hero yet.

Vulpix

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore
Aww man, they removed push notifications via C2DM and the reason was they need to give google a quota? I have no idea what that means. :(

tenble

Aug 3, 2010
really, what's the difference/advantage of using C2DM. i dont understand what's going on in the background.

SX86

May 10, 2010
QC
Yepp.... just downloaded the APK from the link provided above... You can download and install it, but when it asks for your display name, you will get a message that says "Unauthorized beta user, DO NOT E-MAIL US", or something like that.

That's too bad because I loved it on my BB to chat with my iPhone friends, you would think that it would be easier and faster to create an app for Android and it would already be out in the market !!

JexL

Jan 16, 2009
it works!! everyone gets that message just wait till tommorrow and try again and it will work. Heaps of people have had success using this method. dont give up so easily

hwnstyle21

Mar 11, 2006
updated yesterday and they've been approved for the push notification via GOOGLE's c2dm.

Only thing i've noticed is that the app unlike iPhone's version doesn't time out while it's in the background. So it seems like you're always logged in. This could be corrected by a task manager app to kill the app but once you receive a new message it auto logs you on and double check marks the message as read.