WebTopScripts - Fixing apt-get dependencies on WebTop

Search This thread

arvati

After using webtop2sd app the next step on using my webtop on motorola atrix was to start using programs like aptitude, synaptic or command line apt-get to install much more useful programs to use offline on this motorola modified ubuntu jaunty distribution.
The first problem faced was that motorola had left a lot of broken dependencies that would break webtop system if someone just try to use any automatic solution.

To help on this task i developed a bash script that fix those broken dependencies using three different approaches:

1 - The first logical step is just install the missing packages from ubuntu jaunty, taking care to not overwrite any original packages developed from motorola

2 - Since some packages were made from motorola and were already installed on webtop, the second step was creating FAKE packages to just tell apt-get that the package is already installed leaving the original motorola installed package intacted.

3 - Somehow, there is one fake package that breaks the system if is installed. For this package, the idea was backup all files provided from the package developed from motorola and install ubuntu jaunty package overwriting motorola's files. After installation restore the original files on top of ubuntu jaunty files to maintain maximum motorola original system.

After fixing apt-get broken dependencies the use of apt-get could upgrade original motorola`s file. To avoid that there is another script that mark to HOLD version installed. Doing that, it is more difficult to normal users to upgrade packages that would overwrite motorola packages.

Now let's explain how to use WebTopScripts.

Requirements:
* Rooted Atrix.
* Working WebTop after webtop2sd modifications.
* webtop configurator running and preliminaries fix applied from this program (most of all corrections are related to sources.list).
* basic skills to run bash scripts and commands from terminal command line
* working lxterminal program on webtop

Install Script on your Atrix:
* Download file from this thread and save on your download folder (/mnt/sdcard/download)
* run these commands on lxterminal:

Until version 1.6:
Code:
cp /mnt/sdcard/download/webtopscripts-1.4.tar ~/
cd ~
sudo tar -xvf ~/webtopscripts-1.4.tar
sudo chmod -R 777 WebTopScripts
bash WebTopScripts/setup.sh

After version 1.7:
Code:
cp /mnt/sdcard/download/webtopscripts-1.7.tar ~/
cd ~
sudo tar -Pxvf ~/webtopscripts-1.7.tar
cd /osh/usr/share/

Run Scripts to fix apt-get:

Until version 1.6:
Code:
cd ~
bash WebTopScripts/fix-apt-get.sh

After version 1.7 execute this command and choose options from menu:
Code:
webtopscripts

Just use this script with care, and at your own risk, because apt-get may break your system.
Using webtop2sd you may easily recover from original webtop but since your are on a rooted device all caution is needed.

Good luck and enjoy.

New repository for updated versions on: webtopscripts google code

Version 1.5 released 10/01/2012
Version 1.6 released 11/01/2012
Version 1.7 released 24/01/2012

Many thanks to donation made by:
amenditman

Please feel free to contribute on WebTopScripts Project on Google Code

Attachments

• webtopscripts-1.3.tar
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,298
  • webtopscripts-1.4.tar
    267.6 KB · Views: 3,353
Last edited:

arvati

Install script to help use of dpkg -i xx.deb command

If you want to use some functions provided from WebTopScrips to install packages directly from deb files like command "sudo /usr/bin/dpkg -i --root=/osh <<package_deb_file.deb>>", you may run the code:

Code:
cd ~
bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh <<package_name>>

Just need to make sure to write proper settings on file:
Code:
cd ~
leafpad WebTopScripts/scripts/config.txt

Example of config.txt (You just need to include dependencies that are not on webtop yet) :

[gksu]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/23917569/gksu_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_armel.deb"
file="gksu_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_armel.deb"
depends="libgksu2-0;gnome-keyring"

[libgksu2-0]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25028748/libgksu2-0_2.0.9-1ubuntu3_armel.deb"
file="libgksu2-0_2.0.9-1ubuntu3_armel.deb"
depends=""

[gnome-keyring]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333836/gnome-keyring_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
file="gnome-keyring_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
depends="libgcr0;libgp11-0"

[libgcr0]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333843/libgcr0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
file="libgcr0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
depends="libgp11-0"

[libgp11-0]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333840/libgp11-0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
file="libgp11-0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
depends=""

To install gksu you just need to run:

Code:
cd ~
bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh gksu

You may contribute with more config text for installing more packages on this thread to share with others users that do not want to use apt-get easy installation process.

Visit site bellow to find path for armel jaunty deb files on web:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/armel/

Hope to have your contribution soon.

arvati

Thank you everybody that tested the script. My pleasure to help and contribute. :D

I need your help on this issue:

Sometimes when you are installing programs, the program is not able to configute itself.
I found oout that the main problem is that some programs modified by motorola are preventing that since they don't have all functionalities that are expected from them.

For example program readlink can not be used with option -q, program sed can not be used with some optins, etc....

To fix that the only way is to overwrite motorola file with ubuntu original jaunty file. BUT that sometimes breaks the system.

Here is your possible contribuition: to find out with me wich files can be overwriting without problems.

Here is an example to how to overwrite readlink:
Code:
cd ~
bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh coreutils
rm -R ~/tmp
dpkg-deb -x WebTopScripts/packages/coreutils_6.10-6ubuntu1_armel.deb ~/tmp/
sudo cp ~/tmp/bin/readlink /usr/bin/readlink

To overwrite grep we need to include this package on WebTopScripts like this:

Code:
cd ~
sudo tee -a WebTopScripts/scripts/config.txt <<EOF

[grep]
site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/[URL="tel:19665074"]19665074[/URL]/grep_2.5.3%7Edfsg-6ubuntu1_armel.deb"
file="grep_2.5.3~dfsg-6ubuntu1_armel.deb"
depends=""
EOF

bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh grep
rm -R ~/tmp
dpkg-deb -x WebTopScripts/packages/grep_2.5.3~dfsg-6ubuntu1_armel.deb  ~/tmp/
sudo cp ~/tmp/bin/grep /bin/grep 
sudo cp ~/tmp/bin/egrep /bin/egrep

Finally, I am open to yours suggestions ....

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
I am trying to find a working APT source for Jaunty to test against. Anyone have a working /etc/apt/sources.list I can use?

Use WebTop2SD & install webtop configurator. It will fix your apt source and keys.

If you're more advanced than that and just want repo, check out old-releases.ubuntu.com as your starting fqdn.

arvati

Does any one have sources.list for any armel chromium? I had before for i386 one daily build that could work with jaunty since will not contains many dependencies on ubuntu stuff. But that was i386, i am not familiar with armel yet.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

kanemari

Aug 13, 2010
Melbourne
this is outstanding. well done.

i am one of the many that seem to have been experimenting with this and constantly breaking it. i did find however, that overwriting most of the packages that contain binaries that were included in the original rootfs (coreutils, findutils, etc) helped fix missing arguments especially when trying to build from source using apt-get.

also force overwriting locales let you rebuild a locale for your own language and gets rid of errors and some awn-manager issues due to dependencies on the locale files.

but alas, my awn-launcher is broken so i am out of action for the time being.

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
Does any one have sources.list for any armel chromium? I had before for i386 one daily build that could work with jaunty since will not contains many dependencies on ubuntu stuff. But that was i386, i am not familiar with armel yet.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

You can find and add PPA ubuntu sources from www.launchpad.net. Unfortunately, there are no armel jaunty binaries for Chromium stable, dev or beta available.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After using webtop2sd app the next step on using my webtop on motorola atrix was to start using programs like aptitude, synaptic or command line apt-get to install much more useful programs to use offline on this motorola modified ubuntu jaunty distribution.
    The first problem faced was that motorola had left a lot of broken dependencies that would break webtop system if someone just try to use any automatic solution.

To help on this task i developed a bash script that fix those broken dependencies using three different approaches:

1 - The first logical step is just install the missing packages from ubuntu jaunty, taking care to not overwrite any original packages developed from motorola

2 - Since some packages were made from motorola and were already installed on webtop, the second step was creating FAKE packages to just tell apt-get that the package is already installed leaving the original motorola installed package intacted.

3 - Somehow, there is one fake package that breaks the system if is installed. For this package, the idea was backup all files provided from the package developed from motorola and install ubuntu jaunty package overwriting motorola's files. After installation restore the original files on top of ubuntu jaunty files to maintain maximum motorola original system.

After fixing apt-get broken dependencies the use of apt-get could upgrade original motorola`s file. To avoid that there is another script that mark to HOLD version installed. Doing that, it is more difficult to normal users to upgrade packages that would overwrite motorola packages.

Now let's explain how to use WebTopScripts.

Requirements:
    * Rooted Atrix.
    * Working WebTop after webtop2sd modifications.
    * webtop configurator running and preliminaries fix applied from this program (most of all corrections are related to sources.list).
    * basic skills to run bash scripts and commands from terminal command line
    * working lxterminal program on webtop

Install Script on your Atrix:
    * Download file from this thread and save on your download folder (/mnt/sdcard/download)
    * run these commands on lxterminal:

Until version 1.6:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/download/webtopscripts-1.4.tar ~/
    cd ~
    sudo tar -xvf ~/webtopscripts-1.4.tar

After version 1.7:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/download/webtopscripts-1.7.tar ~/
    cd ~
    sudo tar -Pxvf ~/webtopscripts-1.7.tar
    cd /osh/usr/share/

Run Scripts to fix apt-get:

Until version 1.6:
    Code:
    cd ~
    bash WebTopScripts/fix-apt-get.sh

After version 1.7 execute this command and choose options from menu:
    Code:
    webtopscripts

Just use this script with care, and at your own risk, because apt-get may break your system.
    Using webtop2sd you may easily recover from original webtop but since your are on a rooted device all caution is needed.

Good luck and enjoy.

New repository for updated versions on: webtopscripts google code

Version 1.5 released 10/01/2012
    Version 1.6 released 11/01/2012
    Version 1.7 released 24/01/2012

Many thanks to donation made by:
    amenditman

Please feel free to contribute on WebTopScripts Project on Google Code
    Install script to help use of dpkg -i xx.deb command

If you want to use some functions provided from WebTopScrips to install packages directly from deb files like command "sudo /usr/bin/dpkg -i --root=/osh <<package_deb_file.deb>>", you may run the code:

Code:
    cd ~
    bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh <<package_name>>

Just need to make sure to write proper settings on file:
    Code:
    cd ~
    leafpad WebTopScripts/scripts/config.txt

Example of config.txt (You just need to include dependencies that are not on webtop yet) :

[gksu]
    site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/23917569/gksu_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_armel.deb"
    file="gksu_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_armel.deb"
    depends="libgksu2-0;gnome-keyring"

[libgksu2-0]
    site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25028748/libgksu2-0_2.0.9-1ubuntu3_armel.deb"
    file="libgksu2-0_2.0.9-1ubuntu3_armel.deb"
    depends=""

[gnome-keyring]
    site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333836/gnome-keyring_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    file="gnome-keyring_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    depends="libgcr0;libgp11-0"

[libgcr0]
    site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333843/libgcr0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    file="libgcr0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    depends="libgp11-0"

[libgp11-0]
    site="http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25333840/libgp11-0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    file="libgp11-0_2.26.1-0ubuntu1_armel.deb"
    depends=""

To install gksu you just need to run:

Code:
    cd ~
    bash WebTopScripts/scripts/install.sh gksu

You may contribute with more config text for installing more packages on this thread to share with others users that do not want to use apt-get easy installation process.

Visit site bellow to find path for armel jaunty deb files on web:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/armel/

Hope to have your contribution soon.
    Programs Installed after apt-get fix from WebTopScripts

I will list here all applications that were installed and how I did it after fixing apt-get.

=== Reserved ===
    Version 1.6 details

Ah okay run the patch still to fix dkpg if you still get the errors post your terminal so I can see what your seeing alos I have a libc6-dev fix I made itll allow you to install build essentials

Djazin, I've updated version 1.6 to include fix dkpg and libc6-dev. So there is no need to run them if using WebTopScripts version 1.6.
    If anyone is having trouble, i advice to run script bellow (included on 1.6):
    Code:
    cd ~
    bash WebTopScripts/support.sh
    And send the generated file "~/WebTopScrips/support.tar" to help to find out how to solve it.
    Are you guys able to compile new applications from source code? This is great news. I would like to compile new kernel modules but do not know how to do it on Atrix WebTop.... :(
    Not sure the proccess to get to this piticular error, ive seen it twice on two fully modded atrix's on my end and have seen two others reporting the same issue.

Whats the isssue:

as you use apt you get an error message of 12 packages missing from dkpg though your install presses on for those that hate the error text showing hes the patcher to silence the error. Hope people find this helpful.

This patcher will install:

libmagickcore1 libmagickwand1 libgd2-noxpm gears(temp install no jaunty package avalible so the script will remove after checking dkpg) libwmf0.2-7 libgraphviz4 libopenexr6 libdjvulibre-text libilmbase6 liblcms1 imagemagick libdjvulibre21

How to use:

cp /mnt/sdcard/download/dkpgpatcher.txt /tmp/dkpgpatcher.sh
    cd /tmp
    sudo chmod -R 777 dkpgpatcher.sh
    bash dkpgpatcher.sh

Why would you use, cant think of a reason there but using this means you have seen the 12 packages listed above as missing, enjoy hopfully we can get rid of the bugs one by one
    I just released an updated version 1.5 today that does not have this code attached.
    I plan to integrate that on release 1.6 as soon I have time for it....
    Djazin, do you have any problem about using your code?