Official cincinnati bell froyo RELEASED [Link included]

Search This thread

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
These are the differences between Dexter's original 1.3 and the Cincinnati Bell release:

/system/app/Browser.apk differs (not sure what's different yet)
/system/media/bootanimation.zip differs (Cincinnati Bell logo on white)
/system/etc/apns-conf.xml differs:

They're different. Cincinnati Bell's is actually longer (1313 lines) vs Dexter's (960 lines). There may be two lines of garbage at the end of CBW's, but I don't think it's a problem because the XML is properly closed before that.

/system/build.prop differs:

Code:
diff CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/build.prop Dexter13/system/build.prop
4c4
< ro.build.display.id=ULTIMOBILE 2.2.1
---
> ro.build.display.id=Dexter's Milestone2.2.1 XT720 remake
59c59
< dalvik.vm.heapsize=28m
---
> dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m
167,168d166
< ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
<

Cincinnati Bell reduced the heap size from 32m to 28m, which is interesting because we've usually gone the other direction in our ROMs and this could affect free RAM. Worth experimenting with. The other change is to turn on data roaming by default (Cincinnati Bell customers have nation-wide roaming, I think)

Renamed and resigned (Android test key, I think, not sure) in CBW version:

/system/app/superuser.apk => /system/app/su-signed.apk

I've extracted the apk's and compared them, only the signatures differ. I don't understand enough about how signatures work to know whether that matters.

In Dexter's 1.3, but missing in CBW version:

/system/app/MilestoneOverclock147.apk
/system/app/OpenRecovery.apk

Deleting OpenRecovery.apk is a best-practice on our 2.2 ROMs anyway since it seems to like to hang around as a service eating a lot of RAM. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Reactions: fjfalcon

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
These are the differences between Dexter's original 1.3 and the Cincinnati Bell release:

/system/app/Browser.apk differs (not sure what's different yet)
/system/media/bootanimation.zip differs (Cincinnati Bell logo on white)
/system/etc/apns-conf.xml differs:

They're different. Cincinnati Bell's is actually longer (1313 lines) vs Dexter's (960 lines). There may be two lines of garbage at the end of CBW's, but I don't think it's a problem because the XML is properly closed before that.

/system/build.prop differs:

Code:
diff CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/build.prop Dexter13/system/build.prop
4c4
< ro.build.display.id=ULTIMOBILE 2.2.1
---
> ro.build.display.id=Dexter's Milestone2.2.1 XT720 remake
59c59
< dalvik.vm.heapsize=28m
---
> dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m
167,168d166
< ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
<

Cincinnati Bell reduced the heap size from 32m to 28m, which is interesting because we've usually gone the other direction in our ROMs and this could affect free RAM. Worth experimenting with. The other change is to turn on data roaming by default (Cincinnati Bell customers have nation-wide roaming, I think)

Renamed and resigned (Android test key, I think, not sure) in CBW version:

/system/app/superuser.apk => /system/app/su-signed.apk

I've extracted the apk's and compared them, only the signatures differ. I don't understand enough about how signatures work to know whether that matters.

In Dexter's 1.3, but missing in CBW version:

/system/app/MilestoneOverclock147.apk
/system/app/OpenRecovery.apk

Deleting OpenRecovery.apk is a best-practice on our 2.2 ROMs anyway since it seems to like to hang around as a service eating RAM. Good riddance.

Yup. I'm sticking with my original asessment, that Cincy Bell just took Dexter's idea, and made their own. It runs pretty well actually. I'm going to throw the v3 fix onto it and see what happens.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
This is gonna sound silly, but did they happen to fix the FM radio volume issue? It is something small but I used it everyday on 2.1 while I was at work.

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
Good job, how about dexter's ramdisk?
Cause, as i remember there is folder "Dexter" in ramdisk.. some sort of signature of him.

Haptic feedback?
Maybe it's are coming from helping apps like soundback kickback e.t.c. from 2.1 ?

How about magnificator screen?

How about ram leaking?

Last edited:

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
Good job, how about dexter's ramdisk?
Cause, as i remember there is folder "Dexter" in ramdisk.. some sort of signature of him.

Haptic feedback?
Maybe it's are coming from helping apps like soundback kickback e.t.c. from 2.1 ?

How about magnificator screen?

It's essentially stock221v13 (including the old /system/oc and ramdisk.tar). There are only a few non-cosmetic modifications (different Browser.apk, different /system/etc/apns-conf.xml, renamed and resigned superuser.apk as su-signed.apk,dalvik.vm.heapsize set to 28m in /system/build.prop).

For me, the big news is that Cincinnati Bell is officially supporting this and taking responsibility for warranty repairs from Motorola. Next week people can take their phones into the Cincinnati Bell stores and the employees will install it. It's great for less technical users.

Last edited:
Reactions: fjfalcon

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
How about framework.jar?
Maybe they have edited something?
10 mins before mirror to 100mbit server... =)

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
How about framework.jar?
Maybe they have edited something?
10 mins before mirror to 100mbit server... =)

Nope. Identical.

Code:
mioze7ae@fsckmoto:~/ROMs$ diff -qr CincinnatiBellFroyo/system Dexter13/system | sort
diff: CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/bin/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: Dexter13/system/bin/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/lw/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: Dexter13/system/lw/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/lw2/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: Dexter13/system/lw2/mot_boot_mode: No such file or directory
diff: CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/usr/keychars/sholes-keypad.kcm.bin: No such file or directory
diff: Dexter13/system/usr/keychars/sholes-keypad.kcm.bin: No such file or directory
diff: CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl: No such file or directory
diff: Dexter13/system/usr/keylayout/sholes-keypad.kl: No such file or directory
Files CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/app/Browser.apk and Dexter13/system/app/Browser.apk differ
Files CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/build.prop and Dexter13/system/build.prop differ
Files CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/etc/apns-conf.xml and Dexter13/system/etc/apns-conf.xml differ
Files CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/media/bootanimation.zip and Dexter13/system/media/bootanimation.zip differ
Only in CincinnatiBellFroyo/system/app: su-signed.apk
Only in Dexter13/system/app: MilestoneOverclock147.apk
Only in Dexter13/system/app: OpenRecovery.apk
Only in Dexter13/system/app: superuser.apk
All those "no such file or directories" are symbolic links that aren't valid paths except on the phone.

Last edited:

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
As we thought..
Buy yes, CBW make good step..
Moto - i won't buy from you everything.
Yes, you already left mine country.. because Russians don't buy your phones..(only 1% in country).
So,moto is only one android "grand" developer, that have bad reports...
Because of this. You may only be pattent throll.. no more.

BTW, will add to rusmod build.prop, apns-conf and browser...
Will see, maybe they fixed something that make rom leak... in browser.. =)
After some tests - will report.

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
Sorry for russian locale.
diff browser.apk from rusmod and cbw
Code:
fjfalcon@eeepc ~/xt720/browserdiff $ diff -qr browser-cbw browser-rusmod |sort
Только в browser-rusmod/res: values-ru
Файлы browser-cbw/res/layout/active_tabs.xml и browser-rusmod/res/layout/active_tabs.xml различаются
Файлы browser-cbw/res/layout/browser_download_item.xml и browser-rusmod/res/layout/browser_download_item.xml различаются
Файлы browser-cbw/res/layout/error_console.xml и browser-rusmod/res/layout/error_console.xml различаются
Файлы browser-cbw/res/layout/title_bar.xml и browser-rusmod/res/layout/title_bar.xml различаются
Файлы browser-cbw/res/layout/video_loading_progress.xml и browser-rusmod/res/layout/video_loading_progress.xml различаются
Файлы browser-cbw/res/values/strings.xml и browser-rusmod/res/values/strings.xml различаются
fjfalcon@eeepc ~/xt720/browserdiff $

Just some xml.. smali don't changed.
No, there is nothing usefull =(

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
vimdiff with apns-conf.xml...

Nothing usefull, just some new apns...

build.prop changes:

changed fingerprint,
proximity distance = 60 vs 100
heapsize =28m
max_num_touch=3
telephone.call.ring.delay= 3000 vs 1000

No more changes.
(checked with vimdiff)

Last edited:
SHAME ON YOU, MOTOROLA !

Deveku%C5%9Flar%C4%B1+ni%C3%A7in+ba%C5%9Flar%C4%B1n%C4%B1+kuma+g%C3%B6merler.jpg
This is what you do and this is how you look now cause of this whole comedy !
motorola_logo.jpg

Kudos Cincinnati Bell not about this buggy rom but just for pulling the mask of moto !

gommers1978

Oct 26, 2006
2nd-boot

I one of the first posts somebody said that they where close to using the 2nd-boot hack. How is it going with that then? If we can use that than we can run CM7 or not??

fjfalcon

Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
No progress at all.
No gsm module..
If you need Motorola Milestone XT720 WI-FI edition - you may use it..
But i think that not an option

sohrab.naushad

Apr 24, 2011
Peshawar
**** that sucks, I was looking forward to something more exciting.

So all you tech guys, fj and mio! Should I give this a try? Will I be able to fastboot into fj's kernel? Can we apply bug fix 3? All Im hoping for is better battery life.

So disappointed!

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
**** that sucks, I was looking forward to something more exciting.

So all you tech guys, fj and mio! Should I give this a try? Will I be able to fastboot into fj's kernel? Can we apply bug fix 3? All Im hoping for is better battery life.

So disappointed!

If you want a ROM like this one, I recommend rusmod. The reality is this is a very old ROM. There's not much new here and if there is, we'll adopt it. The value is to non-technical Cincinnati Bell customers and ammunition for embarrassing Motorola in public.

It may not have been an accident it was released today (start of holiday weekend in US). Possibly they expect Motorola to take the bait and make a DMCA claim to have Cincinnati Bell stop distributing it. *popcorn*

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
Does anyone recognize this kernel?!?

Code:
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed Jun 23 22:39:35 IST 2010

It's (almost) the oldest kernel I've encountered. I wonder why they sent that one...

These are the ones I know about:

Code:
xt720/STR_U2_01.18.2/GAS_ASIA_USASHLSTBRTINT_P027/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx06) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Thu May 27 16:17:00 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_01.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_UCASHOTBRTLRTCEE_P001/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 13 17:19:35 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_01.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_UCASHOTBRTLRTGB_P021/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 13 17:19:35 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_01.1E.2/GAS_ASIA_USASHLSTBSTARSG_P019/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 5 16:27:41 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_02.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_UCASHOTBRTLRTFR_P018/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 13 20:54:25 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_02.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_USASHOTBRTLRTIT_P001/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 13 20:54:25 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_03.20.1/GAS_ASIA_USASHLSTBRTRU_P012/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx23.miel.mot.com) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed Aug 4 22:22:08 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_04.1E.1/GAS_NA_NACBW_P011/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 20 01:36:37 IST 2010

xt720/STR_U2_04.1E.1/GAS_NA_NAREG_P011/boot.img
Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 20 01:36:37 IST 2010

Linux script for extracting kernel strings from boot.img (modified from some script I found on XDA somewhere):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# extract-ikconfig - Extract the .config file from a kernel image
#
# This will only work when the kernel was compiled with CONFIG_IKCONFIG.
#
# The obscure use of the "tr" filter is to work around older versions of
# "grep" that report the byte offset of the line instead of the pattern.
#
# (c) 2009,2010 **** Streefland <****@streefland.net>
# Licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

try_decompress()
{
	for	pos in `tr "$1\n$2" "\n$2=" < "$img" | grep -abo "^$2"`
	do
		pos=${pos%%:*}
		tail -c+$pos "$img" | $3 2>/dev/null | strings | grep '^Linux version'
	done
}

# Check invocation:
me=${0##*/}
img=$1
if	[ $# -ne 1 -o ! -s "$img" ]
then
	echo "Usage: $me <kernel-image>" >&2
	exit 2
fi

try_decompress '\037\213\010' xy  gunzip
try_decompress 'BZh'          xy  bunzip2
try_decompress '\135\0\0\0'   xxx unlzma
try_decompress '\211\114\132' xy  'lzop -d'

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't believe all the negative posts on this!.. Yes, performance wise it sounds like a dissappointment.. But this is a bold move by CinciBell..... It has to put pressure on Moto to take a second look at the upgrade situation. I'm a CB customer and I won't be using this rom, sticking with Miui... But this is a huge embarrasement for Moto. Now maybe the can get us something official.... Stop being a bunch of whiners... Just sayin.
    Guys can someone please please do a mirror of this un multiupload please..? I've been tryn to downlpad it all day and I keep on getting stuck or my download cut short, I dunno maybe it's the dl server or something but I never get this when I download in the mirrors of all the other roms.. please guys.. anyone..

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using XDA App

Got a mirror here for anyone having trouble downloading, hopefully it helps!
    FB Question "Haha indeed it will! I was wondering about the deployment. A previous poster pointed out that the OTA update function on the XT720 fails with a "Connection Error". What will the procedure be to update?"
    CB Responce "The Cincinnati Bell update will require a hard connection."

Edit & its up !!!! http://cincinnatibell.com/milestoneupgrade/

And its a nandroid, there instructions include rooting the phone & restoring a nandroid through Open Recovery.

CB Upgade PDF
    Motorola has confirmed that bootloader to be unlocked it up to carrier to support it I believe it will be unlocked just wait for the update and will see.

Be very careful what you believe from Motorola PR, they're quite good at it. They have confirmed nothing.

Whatever the reality is, they're going to spin it as much as possible to protect the Motorola brand so that people will continue to buy Motorola phones. When you boil down their statements, they have no content. If Motorola is unwilling to make a precise enough statement that they could actually be sued over, they are not being sincere. They only ever offer just enough to calm down the angry hordes. I'm sure Motorola realizes that no matter what they do, XT720 users that are unhappy about 2.1 and the bootloader are unlikely to ever buy anything Motorola ever again.

I actually have mad respect for Cincinnati Bell no matter what they deliver. This was pure brilliant geek PR strategy. Motorola threw Cincinnati Bell under the bus. Rather than take that abuse, Cincinnati Bell decided to stand with us. The only way Motorola can save face in my book is if the July upgrade actually is a full build. Either way Cincinnati Bell is elevated to "folk hero" status in my books. If the update is not a full build Motorola will never ever get another cent from me or anyone I know for all eternity. That is their last chance, and it sounds like they've squandered it.