[DRIVER] HTC Driver 4.0.1.001 (2012-11-07)

Search This thread

xp314a

Feb 17, 2009
NOTE: This is an older version of the driver, a newer version is available here.

This was pulled directly from the HTC Sync 3.3.21 installer.

HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part1.rar and HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part2.rar are the executable driver installer. The other files are the drivers for the individual platforms.

Note: The last zip is labeled Win2k, but I suspect it is also intended for use with Windows XP.
Note 2: The Windows 7 drivers are reported to work with Windows 8.

NOTE: This is an older version of the driver, a newer version is available here.

Attachments

• HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part1.rar
    8 MB · Views: 99,841
  • HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part2.rar
    6.8 MB · Views: 79,735
  • Win2k.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 14,582
Last edited:

DvineLord

Aug 29, 2010
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
AT&T HTC One X
i was going to download the new htc sync to grab the driver but didn't feel like wasting the time. thanks for this driver.
everyone seems to like to use HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe though which must be modified since it doesn't pass digital signature.

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010

So a reputable signature on a exe is less secure than a reputable signature on a driver?
Back to my original point drivers are more dangerous than a exe. There is a logic fail to someone not liking an exe but installing drivers from the same source.

Ps not knocking you supplying these drivers. Thanks for offering them. I just found the irony in your statement about why you are offering zip versions rather funny. And it is funnier that I agree that many users actually will think that the zip is somehow safer, when in fact installing untrusted drivers is far more dangerous than running untrusted exe's. Crazy users...

Last edited:

Mister J

Mar 6, 2011
twistedddx said:
So a reputable signature on a exe is less secure than a reputable signature on a driver?
Back to my original point drivers are more dangerous than a exe. There is a logic fail to someone not liking an exe but installing drivers from the same source.

Ps not knocking you supplying these drivers. Thanks for offering them. I just found the irony in your statement about why you are offering zip versions rather funny. And it is funnier that I agree that many users actually will think that the zip is somehow safer, when in fact installing untrusted drivers is far more dangerous than running untrusted exe's. Crazy users...

wut

xp314a

Feb 17, 2009

I didn't to intend to suggest that the drivers were any less dangerous to install; although, re-reading my post, I can see how it could come across that way. Many users will, as you say, consider an EXE to be less trustworthy, which was the original purpose of my statement.

However, at least in Windows 7 (maybe even in XP, I don't remember), attempting to install drivers that are not digitally signed will result in a big, red, scary warning dialog; whereas, attempting to run an EXE that isn't digitally signed (like the HTC Sync installer, for example) will simply show a "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run the software?" dialog, just like almost every other application you install. I know which one is more likely to get my attention.

Edit: Yes, the same warning appeared in XP, but did not have the scary, red band at the top of the dialog. Attaching a screenshot I found on Google Images from devicedriverfinder.com, for those unfamiliar with this red-banded dialog of which I speak.

Attachments

• unsigned-device-driver.png
    unsigned-device-driver.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Reactions: boomn

xp314a

Feb 17, 2009
On a somewhat related note, I actually installed the androidusb driver from the files I zipped, rather than using the installer, as I have no need for media sharing or USB tethering.

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010
attempting to run an EXE that isn't digitally signed (like the HTC Sync installer, for example) will simply show a "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run the software?" dialog, just like almost every other application you install. I know which one is more likely to get my attention.

Hmm cant remember exact Windows 7, it has been so long.

On a default install of Windows 8, you end up with all of these prompts for random unsigned exe's before you can run the app.
"Windows protected your PC. Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized application from starting. Running this application could put your PC at risk." dims the screen and is in the foreground, you have to click "more info" and "Run anyway" and then get the UAC warning.

Nearly all exe's from any reputable company are signed these days.

Edit: the last picture is running the exe you posted. This was the only message that appeared.

Still all this seems to be a whole lot of noise for what started as me simply laughing that users would trust drivers over exe's because in their head only exe's are bad. Microsoft make the driver warning big and red because bad drivers are worse than bad exe's.

Attachments

• ie.jpg
    ie.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 210
  • w8a.jpg
    w8a.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 220
  • w8b.jpg
    w8b.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 208
  • UAC.png
    UAC.png
    16 KB · Views: 239
  • uacb.png
    uacb.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

xp314a

Feb 17, 2009
So do these have HBOOT drivers that work with win8

I'm not familiar with HBOOT drivers, but a Google search seems to indicate that they are a modified USB driver by unrEVOked. The ones posted in this thread were pulled directly from the HTC Sync installer.

Someone else will have to comment if these will work in Windows 8, as I am still on Windows 7.

Edit: There is, though, an Android Bootloader Interface driver provided by the Google USB Driver package in the Android SDK, which may be for what you are looking. Again, I can't say if it will work in Windows 8, though a few threads here on XDA seem to indicate that it will.

Edit 2: You can download the Google USB Driver 7.0.0000.00001 (2012-08-27) directly from Google here (ZIP).

Last edited:
Reactions: Master_falco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This was pulled directly from the HTC Sync 3.3.21 installer.

HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part1.rar and HTCDriver_4.0.1.001_20121107.exe.part2.rar are the executable driver installer. The other files are the drivers for the individual platforms.

Note: The last zip is labeled Win2k, but I suspect it is also intended for use with Windows XP.
    Note 2: The Windows 7 drivers are reported to work with Windows 8.

Wow almost four years and that was the first thing you decided to post?

Sent from my HTC One XL

It was borne out of my own difficulty in finding the driver from HTC, rather than some random file host, so I figured I would share it with others and provide them with a means of obtaining it on their own.
    Wow almost four years and that was the first thing you decided to post?

Would you rather his first post be "What's the best ROM" or "How do you root"?

Pretty awesome first post, if you ask me.
    Would you rather his first post be "What's the best ROM" or "How do you root"?

Pretty awesome first post, if you ask me.

It was a great first post, like you said most first posts are not as useful and it just caught me off guard
    zipped for those not crazy about running an EXE found on the web.

But still cool with installing drivers that are executable code that is loaded with the operating system running as system instead of user, so in fact much much more dangerous.