Stuck on "obtaining IP address". Fixes don't work...

Search This thread

HotWhipT/A

Dec 21, 2011
So I got the dreaded "obtaining IP" loop. I searched and found others have this problem too, but not for the Nitro. Their fixes don't work for me.

I can connect to my friend's router just fine with his password. I also have 2 routers at my house, both have passwords. I can connect to one of them just fine, but the other doesn't work and that's the one I get better signal from! I'm 100% sure I have the right password and I know the router is working fine because everyone else can connect to that router just fine with their phone.

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
You're trying to connect to 2.4Ghz, not 5Ghz, correct? My Galaxy SII would connect to 5Ghz on my router, but my Nitro only connects to 2.4Ghz.

HotWhipT/A

Dec 21, 2011
That's all Chinese to me. Where would I find this information?

All I know is my phone says its secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

I really appreciate the help though

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
That's all Chinese to me. Where would I find this information?

All I know is my phone says its secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

I really appreciate the help though

Click the setup tab, and then wireless settings on the left. Next click "Manual Wireless Network Setup" and you should see your settings on that page.

HotWhipT/A

Dec 21, 2011
Which channel is the wireless set to?
2.432 GHz - Ch 5
Transmission Rate?
Couldn't find this. I searched around and on the internet. It's suppose to be under the Advanced wireless as the first thing. It's not under this tab. My first thing trasmit power and its on High.
Channel Width?
20 MHz
Security Mode?
WPA-Personal
WPA Mode?
WPA2 only
Cipher Type?
TKIP and AES

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
Try these

2.432 GHz - Ch 6
Transmission Rate? Automatic is usually the default setting for this
Couldn't find this. I searched around and on the internet. It's suppose to be under the Advanced wireless as the first thing. It's not under this tab. My first thing trasmit power and its on High.
Channel Width?
20 MHz
Security Mode?
WPA-Personal
WPA Mode?
Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Cipher Type?
TKIP and AES

Reactions: HotWhipT/A

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
The nitro should support WPA2 just fine. Plain ole WPA is now fairly insecure and it is advisable to avoid using it if possible.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

HotWhipT/A

Dec 21, 2011
You are the man! So it works now. The other router that worked all along is off right now, but I'll check that out tomorrow.

What about my other family's phones for this router, will theirs work just the same as before?

The only thing I can think of that went wrong in the first place was that I didn't type in the right password. Even though I told my phone to forget it, since then I had the problem.

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
You are the man! So it works now. The other router that worked all along is off right now, but I'll check that out tomorrow.

What about my other family's phones for this router, will theirs work just the same as before?

The only thing I can think of that went wrong in the first place was that I didn't type in the right password. Even though I told my phone to forget it, since then I had the problem.

They should work just fine.

One thing I noticed about the Nitro and Wifi is that it's really picky when connecting to a router. The good thing is that the connection is very good once connected.

HotWhipT/A

Dec 21, 2011
Wouldn't you know it. I haven't done a thing since yesterday and now it won't connect to the router that we fixed. I guess I'll play around with it some more. I can still connect to that other router just fine.

Edit* - I put everything back to how it was originally when it didn't work and now the phone connects to the wifi, weird. Its back on WPA2 and Ch.5 At least I know how to screw with it now!

Last edited:

bimjunk

Sep 11, 2008
Ya, I got this problem too. I get this when I root and then reboot (still rooted), dunno why. After I un-root and reboot, the problem goes away but I had to reboot the router too. In this whole procedure I never change the wifi access point setting, very very weird....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try these

2.432 GHz - Ch 6
    Transmission Rate? Automatic is usually the default setting for this
    Channel Width?
    20 MHz
    Security Mode?
    WPA-Personal
    WPA Mode?
    Auto (WPA or WPA2)
    Cipher Type?
    TKIP and AES