[Root] [CWM] Xperia J

Search This thread

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
Root and CWM for Xperia J Finally!

Thanks to srl3gx and Bin4ry for their awsome work!
and ME for taking risk! :p

Make sure u are in 11.0.A.3.28 or 11.0.A.3.18 firmware ALONE with Locked Bootloader..
This method Dosent Work on 11.0.A.7.5 Firmware!
(working on it! )
for .28 firmware download from here and flash it :)

if u dont have a flash tool download it from here for windows and install drivers located in C:\Flashtool\drivers (choose all drivers)

since flash tool does not have xperia j drivers..u may hav flashing problem...for that

1.download and extract d ST26.zip ive uploaded
2.open flash tool
3.click devices>import
4.navigate to d file u've extracted
5.now xperia j driver is installed
u can now flash without problems :)

Now back to rooting...
Root first! thn apply CWM!

Steps for Rooting:

1.extract Root_J.zip
2.make sure 'usb debugging' is enabled in devolpment settings
3.double click Runme.bat file for windows users...runme.sh for linux users
4.wait for process to finish (mostly should work)

Steps for CWM:

1.extract CWM_J.zip
2.'usb debugging' on
3.double click 'install.bat' only for windows (linux not working! my bad..)
4.wait for it.....installed! close the shell program and switch off the phone..

Plug in charger or USB....the phone switches on....press up and down volume keys repeatedly when SONY logo flashes.....voila u get into CWM! :D
You need plugged in charger or USB to goto CWM! Else CWM wont Work!!

reboot to system and see if supersu is installed :) finish! ur phone is rooted and cwm is installed !!

CWM has little bugs ..but its a never mind stuff..
use arrow keys to navigate..power button to select and 'go back' option in cwm itself to go to previous options.

Comment if it worked for you...let others know!

Tested on my xperia J and Miro
Dont restore factory setting or else CWM will vanish...n u hav to reflash whole firmware again :)
for questions and problems ask srl3gx

HOPE I HELPED...hit thanks :p

Sorry for the last update! It Dindn't Work for many devices! :(

Attachments

• Root_J.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 152,649
  • CWM_J.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 88,373
  • ST26.zip
    704.8 KB · Views: 66,462
Last edited:

mikeycrawford

Dec 13, 2004
Yes dude I tested it.. It works... That's y i posted it :)

Sent from my ST26i using xda premium

Followed your instructions on my Experia J. I have build 11.0.A.3.18 (UK on orange/EE). I decided against flashing to 3.28 and to try with 3.18, but to get the Flashtool working I did the following:

Once the ST26.zip file is extracted (using Winrar) I then have to open this extracted file again in WinRar to get the files that should live at C:\Flashtool\devices\ST26 (loader.sin etc.). I then had to copy the original file ST26.ftd to c:\Flashtool\devices. I enabled USB debugging in the Developer settings on the phone and Flashtool started working properly.

I was able to root and CWM the device as per your instructions on buiild 11.0.A.3.18. Cheers.

Reactions: kishenpj21

adfad666

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
The major problem with this CWM method is that it's designed for the Tipo, so when you try to flash a zip made for jlo, it fails. I had to remove the assert from the top of the scrip to flash with this.

Reactions: PhenomX1998

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for trying on .18 firmware... I'll update d thread :)

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
The major problem with this CWM method is that it's designed for the Tipo, so when you try to flash a zip made for jlo, it fails. I had to remove the assert from the top of the scrip to flash with this.

Dude dunno y u have problems with CWM...btr to flash according to my instructions... It works for many :)

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Dude dunno y u have problems with CWM...btr to flash according to my instructions... It works for many :)

Have you tried flashing a compiled ROM? It fails as the CWM thinks it's on a Tipo device.

Plus if you wipe your system partition, you lose CWM, it's not a good solution. I've posted a CWM as a boot.img in my CM10 thread :)

Reactions: Thanos Atha

kishenpj21

Sep 9, 2012
Have you tried flashing a compiled ROM? It fails as the CWM thinks it's on a Tipo device.

Plus if you wipe your system partition, you lose CWM, it's not a good solution. I've posted a CWM as a boot.img in my CM10 thread :)

Oh..ok.. But this post is for original firmware rooting n CWM... Won't work for custom roms :)

Reactions: kill649

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Oh..ok.. But this post is for original firmware rooting n CWM... Won't work for custom roms :)

OK, plus this will work for people who cannot unlock their bootloader. But perhaps you should put a warning as some people may want to wipe their system partition before they restore a backup (which will work) but if they for what ever reason try to reboot the phone they will be lost and will have to restore via flashtool!

Reactions: kishenpj21

Eduardo C.

Apr 21, 2012
I've updated my xperia j to firmware 11.0.A.7.5 and now i can't root it with this method... :(

Any help?

50pounds

Aug 12, 2012
Yea im the same 11.0.A.7.5 cant you flash the phone with older firmware?

Okay i flashed that firmware from first page and now my phone is rooted :) thanks alot

Last edited:

Eduardo C.

Apr 21, 2012
If we can get ftf file of 11.0.A.7.5 firmware and flash it with Flashtool without wiping data (just wiping cache) maybe we don't loose root... but where can we found that ftf file??? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root and CWM for Xperia J Finally!

Thanks to srl3gx and Bin4ry for their awsome work!
    and ME for taking risk! :p

Make sure u are in 11.0.A.3.28 or 11.0.A.3.18 firmware ALONE with Locked Bootloader..
    This method Dosent Work on 11.0.A.7.5 Firmware!
    (working on it! )
    for .28 firmware download from here and flash it :)

if u dont have a flash tool download it from here for windows and install drivers located in C:\Flashtool\drivers (choose all drivers)

since flash tool does not have xperia j drivers..u may hav flashing problem...for that

1.download and extract d ST26.zip ive uploaded
    2.open flash tool
    3.click devices>import
    4.navigate to d file u've extracted
    5.now xperia j driver is installed
    u can now flash without problems :)

Now back to rooting...
    Root first! thn apply CWM!

Steps for Rooting:

1.extract Root_J.zip
    2.make sure 'usb debugging' is enabled in devolpment settings
    3.double click Runme.bat file for windows users...runme.sh for linux users
    4.wait for process to finish (mostly should work)

Steps for CWM:

1.extract CWM_J.zip
    2.'usb debugging' on
    3.double click 'install.bat' only for windows (linux not working! my bad..)
    4.wait for it.....installed! close the shell program and switch off the phone..

Plug in charger or USB....the phone switches on....press up and down volume keys repeatedly when SONY logo flashes.....voila u get into CWM! :D
    You need plugged in charger or USB to goto CWM! Else CWM wont Work!!

reboot to system and see if supersu is installed :) finish! ur phone is rooted and cwm is installed !!

CWM has little bugs ..but its a never mind stuff..
    use arrow keys to navigate..power button to select and 'go back' option in cwm itself to go to previous options.

Comment if it worked for you...let others know!

Tested on my xperia J and Miro
    Dont restore factory setting or else CWM will vanish...n u hav to reflash whole firmware again :)
    for questions and problems ask srl3gx

HOPE I HELPED...hit thanks :p

Sorry for the last update! It Dindn't Work for many devices! :(
    FIX TO ENTRANCE TO RECOVERY WITHOUT PLUGGED IN CHARGER
    Tested on Xperia J, Miro and Tipo

1. First make full backup in CWM
    2. Run Root Explorer
    3. Go to /system/bin
    4. Rename btnvtool to btnvtool_help
    5. Download my modified btnvtool [unpack attachment]
    6. Put my modified btnvtool to /system/bin and set permission to 755 (how here http://www.learningmovabletype.com/images/chmod755.gif)
    Now reboot phone and when you see Sony logo, put up and down volume key serval times. You don't need plugged in charger
    Ta da!
    v2 - temporarily fix for mount /system partition (?)
    v3 - Android isn't loading in background after start recovery
    v4 FIXED all problems with mount /system partition(!!!)
    There is a bug that prevents start phone after restore backup, i don't now what's wrong in this moment. I blocked download
    Hi, I wasn´t able to change form 11.0.A.7.5 to any previous firmware version. If you could shed some light on my path to rooting my xperia j i would forever be in your debt. thank you in advance.

Get the UnlockRoot. There's a free version to download.
    Uncheck the toolbars in the install.

Worked in my Xperia J with 11.0.A.7.5 firmware without downgrade.

Yeah, it works perfect but CWM doesn't work.
    I'm working on runing CWM on latest firmware, there is battery_charging method doesn't work, btnvtool method works but it's too buggy to upload this yet.
    Please patience.
    Yes dude I tested it.. It works... That's y i posted it :)